By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

tsogud said:
curl-6 said:

If a more powerful Switch could be done with no negative knock-on effect for us base Switch players I wouldn't mind at all, I'm just concerned that wouldn't be the case, and since I'm fine with Switch how it is I'm okay with it not being upgraded.

I really think only the vocal hardcore minority feel like Switch really needs a power upgrade. The average consumer doesn't really care about graphics that much, look how many super popular games have unremarkable, low spec, or below average graphics.

I do get your reservations though as I have some of my own on this. If Nintendo does decide to release a "pro" but in the same vein of New 3ds with exclusives and minimal spec improvements where it hardly improves performance of any games I'd be SO DISAPPOINTED. And it's Nintendo, they're unpredictable and might do that...

I agree but I think that's true with any mid-gen upgrade though. But for me personally and what I've been seeing, people are mostly wanting a Switch "pro" for performance enhancements more than graphical enhancements. Afterall it's not typical to buy Nintendo hardware for graphics.

Yeah I guess it is partly that I don't necessarily trust Nintendo to do it right. If I was an ardent base 3DS owner I'd be annoyed at some of their handling of the New 3DS for instance.

And I can understand that some folks do want better fidelity, and I don't begrudge them that as we all have our different standards and desires.

For what its worth, I doubt this will be last revision the Switch will see and it would not surprise me if a more powerful revision follows next year or something.

Around the Network

People should really stop hating on the OLED model. This will hold off the cliff for a little longer which we know the Wii saw at 100 million.

DitchPlaya said:

People should really stop hating on the OLED model. This will hold off the cliff for a little longer which we know the Wii saw at 100 million.

While I agree that the OLED model hate is unwarranted, there's no reason for Switch to see the same cliff as Wii. The circumstances are very different; Wii's software support dried up overnight in its 5th year; this isn't happening with Switch. Switch also has broader appeal and therefore a higher saturation point.

Come on people, the new switch when on sale today in Amazon. Couldn’t even pre-ordered it. The white model was sold out as soon as it came out; the other one held on for like 3 minutes, and sold out too. Hopefully it will go on sale on best buy soon. This will sell just fine

tsogud said:
burninmylight said:

The term "loins" isn't gender specific, so whatever you have in your pants isn't relevant here. Please keep them there. That's the second word that you don't seem to know the definition for, the first being "optimized."

You think the Switch is lacking because a few otherwise very playable games don't run perfectly smooth. Good for you. Deal with it and wait for Switch 2, then complain about how that can't keep up with the next generation of games in a few years.

I'm as big a Nintendo fan as anyone here, and I don't like or agree with everything it does either. That doesn't mean that I think that their games are broken, buggy slops of code when they don't run as smooth as I'd like, and I can deal with less than perfect when the overall package is still pretty enjoyable. Link's Awakening DX is my favorite 2D Zelda, but the original GB and GBC sure as hell couldn't handle everything that game wanted to have on screen at times. Nintendo consoles not being able to keep up with their games is not some new phenomenon.

For someone who clearly prides themselves on being so opinionated, you sure do seem to have this burning desire to hunt down and convert anyone who doesn't think like you. Just except me for who I am already, please...

What exactly is your problem? Like where are these micro-agressions and snide personal remarks coming from? Because I was talking about the topic of the thread at hand and in no way was any of my comments negative towards you personally. I only negatively criticized Nintendo.

I'm perfectly capable of knowing full well what the definitions of words are, contradictory to your implications I'm not dumb. That comment was completely unprovoked and uncalled for. I just took some issue with the mention of sexual organs (gender specific or not) because you conveniently chose that specific phrase to say to me, which is not even a common phrase to begin with. Even if you weren't trying to be malicious, I'm sure you could now see how that was in poor taste.

I don't think I'm opinionated as I don't adhere to preconceived notions of others (which was literally what you expressed to me, about me in this thread) and the natural world. Who in their right mind would pride themselves on being close-minded and arrogant? Also that last sentence is so disingenuous and cringe. If you weren't going to address even half of my points I made and just spout your personal opinion of me you should've just not responded.

No, I'll tell you what was so "disingenuous and cringe": that you made it about you in the first place by pointing out your gender status from an innocuous comment using a common phrase where I'm from. You turned yourself into a victim. You made it personal. You detoured the focus away from the real topic at hand, that being the Switch. I had no idea that you're transgender before you pointed it out. What a coincidence. But guess what? Even if I did, I would have made the same comment, because as I said, it's a gender neutral term. If I'm wrong and I said something truly offensive to the LGBTQ community, then you know how to report me to the mods.

And speaking of microagressions, this was my first reply to a comment of yours in this thread:

I think that having the devs optimize the games on the consoles we already have is a better idea than forcing another hardware paywall onto us to get the same games, but just running somewhat better on remixed consoles.

Do you sense any vitriol or snide in that? Outside of quoting your post, did I cite or reference you directly? No, I used your post as context to share my stance on the matter in general. It wasn't directed at you personally. This was part of your reply:

Also no one would be forcing you to buy a switch "pro." Just because you think of it as a paywall it doesn't mean it's fair to think that others who care about performance, and would pay for better running games, should not have that option. If you don't want that option fine don't buy it if it comes.

Imagine reading these posts from two random board members and tell me which one sounds more aggressive to you: the one that offers an opinion on the best solution, or the one dismissively telling someone to suck it up and exclude himself in a reductive manner.

I addressed your points. I keep mentioning that Nintendo games have had performance issues throughout the generations, albeit I'll admit that I'm too lazy to find video evidence when I do. I stated why I believe a Switch Pro isn't as simple as "Don't want it, don't buy it then" as you think it is (as have others, who have gone into more detail, so I haven't felt the need to parrot them). You've stated your opinion several times now, and quite clearly. But since you're so in your feelings about the l-word and you feel so personally attacked now, let me get back on topic with something I didn't think about until later:

No mid-gen upgrade to date has fractured their userbase with exclusives, so your irrational fear of that happening holds no water. And I'll include New 3ds in that bunch even though it wasn't much of a leap in power to the OG model comparatively to other mid-gen upgrades to their OG models.

Wrong. The N64 Expansion Pak fractured the userbase with exclusives: Maora's Mask and Donkey Kong 64 absolutely required it, and Perfect Dark required it for the story mode. As others have said, there were absolutely N3DS exclusive games, plus the SNES Virtual Console. Oh, and remember the DSi eShop? Every single game on it that never got a physical release.

So no, I am absolutely justified to not want a Switch 1.25 that would give it just enough more juice to possibly get a small handful of games that require that extra bit of power, but not enough to convince the vast majority of devs/pubs that it's worth fracturing the market for. I want my next hardware leap to be a sizable jump, not short hop.

Stop expecting Nintendo to do what Sony and Microsoft did when Nintendon't do what Sony/MS do. Just because those two made mid-gen refreshes with giant leaps in power while also mandating that games must still support the original models doesn't mean Nintendo would. Did you forget your own words already?

tsogud said:

I do get your reservations though as I have some of my own on this. If Nintendo does decide to release a "pro" but in the same vein of New 3ds with exclusives and minimal spec improvements where it hardly improves performance of any games I'd be SO DISAPPOINTED. And it's Nintendo, they're unpredictable and might do that...

So you get someone else's reservations, but not mine, even though they're the same reservations... hmm.

Before you reply, maybe you should stop and consider not replying if you're going to stay butthurt (everyone has a butt, calm down) over my use of a nonbinary colloquialism toward a stranger on the Internet whom I knew absolutely nothing about prior. I never read your profile, never kept up with anything you've said in other threads, and everything I know about you now is anything you've shared in your direct replies. I support you and your life choices to make it the best life it can be, but I'm not apologizing or losing sleep over that coincidence. I'd appreciate it if you stopped trying to act like the victim of some vicious transphobic attack and kept this thing on track where it should be, and if you'd also check yourself and your choice of words at the door before accusing others of snide or aggressive remarks.

Around the Network
Maynard_Tool said:

Come on people, the new switch when on sale today in Amazon. Couldn’t even pre-ordered it. The white model was sold out as soon as it came out; the other one held on for like 3 minutes, and sold out too. Hopefully it will go on sale on best buy soon. This will sell just fine

Dem scalpers be hoardin'

curl-6 said:
DitchPlaya said:

While I agree that the OLED model hate is unwarranted, there's no reason for Switch to see the same cliff as Wii. The circumstances are very different; Wii's software support dried up overnight in its 5th year; this isn't happening with Switch. Switch also has broader appeal and therefore a higher saturation point.

Not only dried up, but Skyward Sword and Other M were also the controversial versions of the consolidated franchises. And late localization of the Japanese RPG for Switch: Pandora Tower, The Last Story and Xenoblade. So, four software pipelines in the same time(Ds, Wii, 3ds, wiiu), the bad games for consolidated franchises, and the hard game for localizations the Japanese RPG. Add up the transition for HD TV, in 2011, have consolidated too. 

Agente42 said:
curl-6 said:

Not only dried up, but Skyward Sword and Other M were also the controversial versions of the consolidated franchises. And late localization of the Japanese RPG for Switch: Pandora Tower, The Last Story and Xenoblade. So, four software pipelines in the same time(Ds, Wii, 3ds, wiiu), the bad games for consolidated franchises, and the hard game for localizations the Japanese RPG. Add up the transition for HD TV, in 2011, have consolidated too. 

Yeah Nintendo definitely missed an opportunity to bolster the Wii's last years by not giving proper localized releases to not only the Rainfall trio but also Fatal Frame 2 Wii Edition; I feel like if all 4 had gotten well advertised global releases in 2011-2012 the Wii would be better remembered. They really dropped the ball after a phenomenal first four years.

Thankfully there's no sign this is set to happen for the Switch; 2022 is already looking stronger than Wii's 2011 and we probably don't even know about most of its notable games yet.

curl-6 said:
Agente42 said:

Yeah Nintendo definitely missed an opportunity to bolster the Wii's last years by not giving proper localized releases to not only the Rainfall trio but also Fatal Frame 2 Wii Edition; I feel like if all 4 had gotten well advertised global releases in 2011-2012 the Wii would be better remembered. They really dropped the ball after a phenomenal first four years.

Thankfully there's no sign this is set to happen for the Switch; 2022 is already looking stronger than Wii's 2011 and we probably don't even know about most of its notable games yet.

Yeah. Forget Fatal Frame 2. 

curl-6 said:

That was Reggie's doing, we in europe got these games localized. That time was the only time as a european gamer we didn't got the short end of the stick. Monolith's game prior to Xenpobla, Disaster: Day of Crisis also came to europe.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]