By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

Dulfite said:
Chrkeller said:

Wow. I felt the SNES was a huge leap and so was the Gamecube. N64 games ran at 4 fps and were ugly.

4ps lol. Most people that play video games don't recognize or care about fps, that's just something the truly hardcore care about.

Ohhh, you'd be very surprised.

Only hardcore gamers care about 120fps+, that's true, but many more than you'd expect care for 60fps as 30fps is too jittery or blurry for them, especially if it's not a stable framerate.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Dulfite said:

4ps lol. Most people that play video games don't recognize or care about fps, that's just something the truly hardcore care about.

Ohhh, you'd be very surprised.

Only hardcore gamers care about 120fps+, that's true, but many more than you'd expect care for 60fps as 30fps is too jittery or blurry for them, especially if it's not a stable framerate.

I don't think people remember accurately how slow moving N64 games were.  I love Nintendo but N64 did not age well at all.  Borderline unplayable for many games.  

Anyone remember the GPA SP "new brighter screen" model Nintendo touted? They just upgraded the SP screen but now imagine if they charged $50 extra. Really dumb. If they had this new model at the same price as the old Switch and phased old models out that would be fine.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Anyone remember the GPA SP "new brighter screen" model Nintendo touted? They just upgraded the SP screen but now imagine if they charged $50 extra. Really dumb. If they had this new model at the same price as the old Switch and phased old models out that would be fine.

There is the faint possibility that N will remove the basic Switch model in a few months and lower the price of the Switch OLED to $300.

Since Nintendo just went with an XL upgrade instead of a "pro" upgrade I think Switch 2 coming holiday 2024 feels right. Could be spring 2024 but that feels a bit early but certainly possible if they decide to cut off Switch before it really start dropping below very good sales numbers which would probably start in 2024, could be spring 2025 but then they'd need a big 2024 holiday game on Switch and I think any big games being started now will probably have Switch 2 in mind so by holiday 2024 I don't think there will be any more major first party games coming to Switch.

Given a roughly holiday 2024 Switch 2 launch, I think hardware a bit more powerful than PS4/XB1 makes sense, with DLSS to make it 4k so it'd essentially have the graphical output of PS4Pro/XB1X. That feels about right for a 2024 high end portable that launches at a reasonable price. No reason to have something more powerful than that. And with DLSS I'm guessing they could get PS5/XBS games ported over without a ton of compromises (fewer compromises than Switch currently requires for PS4/XB1 games) that run at low resolutions to help with porting with less compromises and then use DLSS to bump it from low res to 1080p, instead of Switch2-made games that would use DLSS to say go from 1080p to 4k. A Switch 2 that can handle console AAA 4k/60+fps games at 1080/30+fps would be pretty great to add to the sort of library Nintendo systems already provide.

With the hoards of money Nintendo will have made off the Switch, plus lower R&D costs for Switch 2 assuming they don't try to get crazy and add in novel things and just go for perfecting the hybrid concept and model design and upgrading power for the successor, launching 4 full years after the other systems, and with the assist of DLSS, I think Nintendo could reasonably build a system that is powerful enough to get the sort of AAA multiplat games that were hard to port or required lots of downgrades to port to Switch this gen. And I would think that would be a goal for Nintendo to increase their 3rd party AAA game library next gen. Then again this is Nintendo, so they'll probably make a system that is just a little bit too weak to get major third party multiplat support.

Around the Network

I am also with everybody else, half upgrades are silly. I bought a ps4 pro and found it to be a massive disappointment, so wasn't worth the upgrade. Meanwhile the ps5 is pretty wicked and clearly has some horsepower. Don't launch new hardware until it is a significant jump.

Leynos said:

You mean the backlit version? Funny you brought that one up.

That one actually sold with a 10-15€ premium here depending on the store, so 109.95€ or 114.95€ instead of 99.95 for the non-backlit version. The 15€ premium was almost the same amount as the price increase on the Switch, yet brought much less to the table. The new Switch after all also comes with better audio, more internal storage, an actually usable kickstand and a better dock, not just a better screen like the new screen model of the GBA SP did.

numberwang said:
Leynos said:

There is the faint possibility that N will remove the basic Switch model in a few months and lower the price of the Switch OLED to $300.

Not just faint, i'm pretty sure they will do either that, or add some pack-in title instead of the pricedrop.

burninmylight said:
tsogud said:

Obviously optimization is a must and should happen anyways, but it hasn't for a lot of games and it's likely not going to as time goes on, especially with third parties. A lot of first party games, even BOTW, has performance issues that still plague it to this day. If Nintendo can't even optimize their games enough to fix it with the hardware they have there's an issue with hardware.

Also no one would be forcing you to buy a switch "pro." Just because you think of it as a paywall it doesn't mean it's fair to think that others who care about performance, and would pay for better running games, should not have that option. If you don't want that option fine don't buy it if it comes.

If Nintendo followed your logic, we would still be waiting on Ocarina of Time. A game that has bugs and performance issues in some areas, by the way.

If you want every game to be perfectly optimized and to run completely frame-drop free and to never do things like lower resolution, pop in assets, load textures late, or screen tear, all with decent load times, then we'd still be waiting on every game that isn't 2-D and sprite based.

And no one is forcing you to play Switch games. Because you have a tingle in your loins for mid-gen consoles that might run some games better, force devs to spend more time optimizing for more hardware profiles, and potentially fracture the market with exclusives, not to mention possibly give the base console version the short end of the stick, there are two consoles out there for you: the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X. There's also this cool gaming device called a personal computer that I imagine would be up your alley. You'd love the modding community. Just because you can't accept that other console publishers do what Nintendon't, doesn't meant it's fair to expect Nintendo to do it too. If you don't like it, fine, don't play Switch games.

First off don't talk about my genitals, funny you'd use that expression to a trans person ?

Secondly that's not "my logic" and what I was saying at all. If a developer can't get their games to run at a stable performance from the jump from the hardware THEY MADE. Either they're a shitty developer or their hardware is too weak to fully realize the games they want to make. I don't think Nintendo is a shitty developer, I just think their hardware is too lacking to continue on as is and it's effecting the enjoyment of their games.

I honestly don't like mid-gen upgrades all that much because most of the time I feel it's just a pointless cashgrab, like with the Pro/ One X because they were already very powerful, capable machines for that gen. But I believe it isn't pointless if a mid-gen upgrade serves a vital purpose that software updates and optimization can't fix. I have an Xbox Series S for my next gen fix atm, I don't need the Switch to be a powerhouse (and frankly idc if consoles are "super powerful") but you can't ignore the reality of the situation just because you'd fear being left out.

All I'm saying is more options for those who want it is good both for Nintendo fans and for those that are on the fence about it's future.

No mid-gen upgrade to date has fractured their userbase with exclusives, so your irrational fear of that happening holds no water. And I'll include New 3ds in that bunch even though it wasn't much of a leap in power to the OG model comparatively to other mid-gen upgrades to their OG models.

Just because I'm a Nintendo fan and I like their games doesn't mean I'm going to like or agree with everything they do, especially if it's interfering with my enjoyment of said games. They're not above criticism and I can choose to continue to play their games and still criticize their lack of stable performances and voice my opinion of wanting their games to be more stable and how I think they can easily accomplish that if they can't do it on the software side.

Last edited by tsogud - on 09 July 2021

Chrkeller said:

I am also with everybody else, half upgrades are silly. I bought a ps4 pro and found it to be a massive disappointment, so wasn't worth the upgrade. Meanwhile the ps5 is pretty wicked and clearly has some horsepower. Don't launch new hardware until it is a significant jump.

I bought a New 3ds XL and, while I thought it was a significant improvement in terms of form factor, screen size, and while I loved having access to Xenoblade for the first time, I found it otherwise to be a disappointment (granted, I kind of knew what I was expecting). I'm beyond the point where I get a Nintendo enhanced device just for the heck of it (only if I had someone else in my family that wanted their own device), so this OLED one is a hard pass for me and I'm glad Nintendo made it a hard pass. Now I won't feel frustrated buying a pro edition and then a brand new device comes out 2 years later like history.

curl-6 said:
tsogud said:

I think the problem here is, at least with me, is that most people are posting "hahah good I don't want a switch pro" "they shouldn't make a switch pro" "switch pro would just make games run like shit" when honestly none of that makes any sense if you're thinking about it logically. It just shits on people who would pay for a more premium product that gives existing games a good boost in performance.

I buy Nintendo games and hardware to have fun but if the existing hardware is dampening the experience I'm getting with Nintendo games, that are already fully optimized, I'm going to want better hardware to remedy this issue so I can get back to having fun. A "pro" variant of the current Switch doesn't take away anything from existing players but gives an option for ones that want it. So far the prevailing argument is that people are afraid of missing out, so they're shitting on other people's wants.When in reality you'd be missing out anyway if there isn't a "pro" variant because a lot of third parties would just skip the inferior hardware going forward or do a cloud version if you're into that. And also existing Nintendo first party games that have performance issues would still run bad forever. Everyone loses.

I haven't lost at all. Less hardware profiles to optimize for means fewer badly optimized games on my base Switch, and no games locked away behind the 'Pro' model to try to pressure me into upgrading. I get to carry on enjoying my launch Switch without either worry, which is a win in my book.

What you're saying doesn't make a lot of sense especially considering this past gen and how modern games are extremely scalable. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X didn't fracture their userbase and cause games on their base model to be poorly optimized. Including Switch and PC there were six profiles third party developers worked on and no evidence suggests that just because of Pro/One X existing, the OG model versions of games suffered. I had a PS4 slim all gen and had no need to upgrade to pro, the games that ran on the slim would've ran that way with or without a pro and the Sony games I played ran fine. And there were no Pro and One X exclusives.

If there's a "pro" variant of Switch you can carry on like you have been doing not caring about performance and play Link's Awakening and Age of Calamity in all it's stuttery and frame dropping glory. But for the people for which that unstable performance of such games effects the enjoyment of, the "pro" variant would be for them.

Last edited by tsogud - on 09 July 2021