By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

Slownenberg said:

Seems like a lot of people are upset just because the rumors were wrong. This is just a basic XL version. Better bigger screen and a few other tweaks to improve the system. Only $50 more so Nintendo will likely discontinue OG hybrid model sometime next year and this XL model will drop to $300 and replace the original as the standard hybrid model.

Don't expect many people to upgrade outside of Nintendo fanatics and video game collectors. This is more for new buyers to have a little bit nicer Switch to entice them to buy. No reason to hate on the model just because the rumors and reporting on those rumors were wrong. Switch still has several years left before there is a successor so nothing wrong with Nintendo putting out a little bit better model to replace the original for the last few years of Switch's lifecycle.

This model holds no interest for me, even though 95% of my gaming is handheld, but no reason to hate on it either. So much unnecessary hate just because people got hyped by rumors that turned out to be wrong. Also kinda makes sense to not release a big 4k tech upgrade model since Switch 2 will likely be launching something like 3 years after this model comes out, so not having a 4k "pro" model will help keep a big tech distinction between Switch and the successor. At the very least now they've got OLED screens in the pipeline and they fixed the kickstand design so makes design transition to successor just that much easier.

Also a way for Nintendo to increase their profit margin per new Switch purchase, I'm assuming the improved components are no more than $25 in additional production cost, so the OLED should be more profitable than the base at its current asking price.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Valdney said:

I intend to buy it because I use my switch on handheld mode frequently. I am a sucker for beautiful OLED screens.

I'll be upgrading for that reason. The console also reminds me a bit more, visually, of the Wii's sleek design. The Wii is still my favourite looking console of all time.

I'm a sucker for sexy looking consoles.

Yeah I've always felt the Wii was underrated in terms of looks; it didn't draw attention to itself or look overtly flashy like say, the PS3 or PS5, but it was a neat, tidy and trendy design that made good use of minimalism and elegant simplicity.

Jumpin said:
Valdney said:

I intend to buy it because I use my switch on handheld mode frequently. I am a sucker for beautiful OLED screens.

I'll be upgrading for that reason. The console also reminds me a bit more, visually, of the Wii's sleek design. The Wii is still my favourite looking console of all time.

I'm a sucker for sexy looking consoles.

Also, these reasons

* My old Switch is getting a little junky.
* Bigger screen, sleeker look, 

Haha! Funny you said that because I still have my Wii sitting next to my TV in my living room for that very reason. What a stunning looking console!! 

In fact you know what, I'd go one step further and say the white Switch OLED is the best looking system Nintendo have ever made.
They've made some sexy looking devices like the base Switch, PAL/JP SNES, Gamecube, N64, and Wii, but this is, in my opinion, their sleekest and most attractive to date.

curl-6 said:
tsogud said:

What you're saying doesn't make a lot of sense especially considering this past gen and how modern games are extremely scalable. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X didn't fracture their userbase and cause games on their base model to be poorly optimized. Including Switch and PC there were six profiles third party developers worked on and no evidence suggests that just because of Pro/One X existing, the OG model versions of games suffered. I had a PS4 slim all gen and had no need to upgrade to pro, the games that ran on the slim would've ran that way with or without a pro and the Sony games I played ran fine. And there were no Pro and One X exclusives.

If there's a "pro" variant of Switch you can carry on like you have been doing not caring about performance and play Link's Awakening and Age of Calamity in all it's stuttery and frame dropping glory. But for the people for which that unstable performance of such games effects the enjoyment of, the "pro" variant would be for them.

After the Pro and X came out last gen lower resolutions became more common on the base models, and look no further than Cyberpunk for a game that clearly wasn't optimized for the 2013 consoles, or Hyrule Warriors on 3DS were the base model was 20fps and it only ran okay on the New model. And the New 3DS did have games not on the base model at all; Xenoblade, FE Warriors, Minecraft, Binding of Isaac, even the SNES virtual console.

Just as you're free to "carry on" about the current Switch's performance level, I'm free to "carry on" here and now that it's satisfactory to me personally. I'm playing through Astral Chain on it now for instance and it looks and runs just fine. Clearly most folks are happy with the current model given its flying off shelves at $300 more than four years after its release.

There's no actual hard evidence to attribute lower resolution, poor performance, and/or poor optimization on some games to the Pro/X's mere existence as you previously suggested. Different hardware profiles will provide different user experiences, a more powerful machine will provide a more stable experience with the exact same game. The more powerful hardware isn't the cause of poor performance of software on the lower spec hardware, just that it can run the software more efficiently than the lower spec hardware can.

Hyrule Warriors ran meh on both models, though as mentioned it was better on New 3ds purely because it was more powerful, but both suffered due to limitations. Even though the New 3ds had exclusives it was very few (about 10) and didn't fracture the userbase as an overwhelming majority of 3ds games were developed for the OG model as a base throughout the 3ds lifespan. Kinda off topic but the New 3ds is an example of a useless hardware "upgrade" honestly. The OG model could handle and run the newer 3ds games released at that time at stable/acceptable performances and the hardware was improved very minimally to a point where only like 5 games outside the exclusives benefited from it and even then the benefits were small. Also you can pay for something and later not be happy about it or wish the product you paid for was at least somewhat more polished. Sales don't translate 1:1 with customer satisfaction as the latter isn't so cut and dry.

If a pro comes to fruition there is no gaurantee that there will be exclusives. If it does happen and there's no exclusives like with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, and the only big difference from OLED Switch would be improved hardware that significantly improves the performance and resolution of a lot of games would you buy it? Or at least would you consider it?

Around the Network
tsogud said:
curl-6 said:

After the Pro and X came out last gen lower resolutions became more common on the base models, and look no further than Cyberpunk for a game that clearly wasn't optimized for the 2013 consoles, or Hyrule Warriors on 3DS were the base model was 20fps and it only ran okay on the New model. And the New 3DS did have games not on the base model at all; Xenoblade, FE Warriors, Minecraft, Binding of Isaac, even the SNES virtual console.

Just as you're free to "carry on" about the current Switch's performance level, I'm free to "carry on" here and now that it's satisfactory to me personally. I'm playing through Astral Chain on it now for instance and it looks and runs just fine. Clearly most folks are happy with the current model given its flying off shelves at $300 more than four years after its release.

There's no actual hard evidence to attribute lower resolution, poor performance, and/or poor optimization on some games to the Pro/X's mere existence as you previously suggested. Different hardware profiles will provide different user experiences, a more powerful machine will provide a more stable experience with the exact same game. The more powerful hardware isn't the cause of poor performance of software on the lower spec hardware, just that it can run the software more efficiently than the lower spec hardware can.

Hyrule Warriors ran meh on both models, though as mentioned it was better on New 3ds purely because it was more powerful, but both suffered due to limitations. Even though the New 3ds had exclusives it was very few (about 10) and didn't fracture the userbase as an overwhelming majority of 3ds games were developed for the OG model as a base throughout the 3ds lifespan. Kinda off topic but the New 3ds is an example of a useless hardware "upgrade" honestly. The OG model could handle and run the newer 3ds games released at that time at stable/acceptable performances and the hardware was improved very minimally to a point where only like 5 games outside the exclusives benefited from it and even then the benefits were small. Also you can pay for something and later not be happy about it or wish the product you paid for was at least somewhat more polished. Sales don't translate 1:1 with customer satisfaction as the latter isn't so cut and dry.

If a pro comes to fruition there is no gaurantee that there will be exclusives. If it does happen and there's no exclusives like with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, and the only big difference from OLED Switch would be improved hardware that significantly improves the performance and resolution of a lot of games would you buy it? Or at least would you consider it?

In cases where optimization is lacking on the base machines and better on the revisions, and the existence of the latter doubles the number of performance profiles that need to be optimized for, I'm not convinced the games didn't suffer on base machines as a result of the revisions.

And if general consumers were unhappy with the Switch's power level, they wouldn't still be buying it in droves, it's well known by now what you're getting from it in terms of graphics so its not like people only realize when they get it home that its less powerful than an Xbox One.

To answer your question, no, I personally wouldn't consider buying a Switch Pro, I have no interest in an enhanced Switch, I want a next gen Switch successor in 2024 and until then I just want my base Switch to be well catered for.

curl-6 said:
tsogud said:

In cases where optimization is lacking on the base machines and better on the revisions, and the existence of the latter doubles the number of performance profiles that need to be optimized for, I'm not convinced the games didn't suffer on base machines as a result of the revisions.

And if general consumers were unhappy with the Switch's power level, they wouldn't still be buying it in droves, it's well known by now what you're getting from it in terms of graphics so its not like people only realize when they get it home that its less powerful than an Xbox One.

To answer your question, no, I personally wouldn't consider buying a Switch Pro, I have no interest in an enhanced Switch, I want a next gen Switch successor in 2024 and until then I just want my base Switch to be well catered for.

Well it seems I just disagree with your logic on the first point considering modern technology and the fact that games today are extremely scalable to a variety of specific hardware. I mean we have genshin impact, league, minecraft, etc. running well on mobile and, on the whole, their performance wasn't hindered by other platforms existing. From how I understand it, your "optimization is lacking" is my "that's about as optimized as you can get on that hardware."

You can buy a product for a specific reason and come to not like other aspects of said product. The general consumer knows what their buying yes but buying a product doesn't equal to happiness/contentness with that product. People primarily buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games but they may not be happy about the way the game performs, the kickstand, screen size, joycon drift, no themes, etc. Sales alone don't paint the whole picture is what I'm saying. It's a good product but it has faults that people aren't happy about.

That's crazy, I just don't get having that viewpoint... Of not wanting a product to release that you have no desire for anyways and that will ultimately have no negative effect on you but a positive effect on other people's experience. But I guess it does make sense if you follow your thinking.

tsogud said:
curl-6 said:

Well it seems I just disagree with your logic on the first point considering modern technology and the fact that games today are extremely scalable to a variety of specific hardware. I mean we have genshin impact, league, minecraft, etc. running well on mobile and, on the whole, their performance wasn't hindered by other platforms existing. From how I understand it, your "optimization is lacking" is my "that's about as optimized as you can get on that hardware."

You can buy a product for a specific reason and come to not like other aspects of said product. The general consumer knows what their buying yes but buying a product doesn't equal to happiness/contentness with that product. People primarily buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games but they may not be happy about the way the game performs, the kickstand, screen size, joycon drift, no themes, etc. Sales alone don't paint the whole picture is what I'm saying. It's a good product but it has faults that people aren't happy about.

That's crazy, I just don't get having that viewpoint... Of not wanting a product to release that you have no desire for anyways and that will ultimately have no negative effect on you but a positive effect on other people's experience. But I guess it does make sense if you follow your thinking.

If a more powerful Switch could be done with no negative knock-on effect for us base Switch players I wouldn't mind at all, I'm just concerned that wouldn't be the case, and since I'm fine with Switch how it is I'm okay with it not being upgraded.

I really think only the vocal hardcore minority feel like Switch really needs a power upgrade. The average consumer doesn't really care about graphics that much, look how many super popular games have unremarkable, low spec, or below average graphics.

curl-6 said:
tsogud said:

If a more powerful Switch could be done with no negative knock-on effect for us base Switch players I wouldn't mind at all, I'm just concerned that wouldn't be the case, and since I'm fine with Switch how it is I'm okay with it not being upgraded.

I really think only the vocal hardcore minority feel like Switch really needs a power upgrade. The average consumer doesn't really care about graphics that much, look how many super popular games have unremarkable, low spec, or below average graphics.

I do get your reservations though as I have some of my own on this. If Nintendo does decide to release a "pro" but in the same vein of New 3ds with exclusives and minimal spec improvements where it hardly improves performance of any games I'd be SO DISAPPOINTED. And it's Nintendo, they're unpredictable and might do that...

I agree but I think that's true with any mid-gen upgrade though. But for me personally and what I've been seeing, people are mostly wanting a Switch "pro" for performance enhancements more than graphical enhancements. Afterall it's not typical to buy Nintendo hardware for graphics.

burninmylight said:
tsogud said:

First off don't talk about my genitals, funny you'd use that expression to a trans person ?

Secondly that's not "my logic" and what I was saying at all. If a developer can't get their games to run at a stable performance from the jump from the hardware THEY MADE. Either they're a shitty developer or their hardware is too weak to fully realize the games they want to make. I don't think Nintendo is a shitty developer, I just think their hardware is too lacking to continue on as is and it's effecting the enjoyment of their games.

I honestly don't like mid-gen upgrades all that much because most of the time I feel it's just a pointless cashgrab, like with the Pro/ One X because they were already very powerful, capable machines for that gen. But I believe it isn't pointless if a mid-gen upgrade serves a vital purpose that software updates and optimization can't fix. I have an Xbox Series S for my next gen fix atm, I don't need the Switch to be a powerhouse (and frankly idc if consoles are "super powerful") but you can't ignore the reality of the situation just because you'd fear being left out.

All I'm saying is more options for those who want it is good both for Nintendo fans and for those that are on the fence about it's future.

No mid-gen upgrade to date has fractured their userbase with exclusives, so your irrational fear of that happening holds no water. And I'll include New 3ds in that bunch even though it wasn't much of a leap in power to the OG model comparatively to other mid-gen upgrades to their OG models.

Just because I'm a Nintendo fan and I like their games doesn't mean I'm going to like or agree with everything they do, especially if it's interfering with my enjoyment of said games. They're not above criticism and I can choose to continue to play their games and still criticize their lack of stable performances and voice my opinion of wanting their games to be more stable and how I think they can easily accomplish that if they can't do it on the software side.

The term "loins" isn't gender specific, so whatever you have in your pants isn't relevant here. Please keep them there. That's the second word that you don't seem to know the definition for, the first being "optimized."

You think the Switch is lacking because a few otherwise very playable games don't run perfectly smooth. Good for you. Deal with it and wait for Switch 2, then complain about how that can't keep up with the next generation of games in a few years.

I'm as big a Nintendo fan as anyone here, and I don't like or agree with everything it does either. That doesn't mean that I think that their games are broken, buggy slops of code when they don't run as smooth as I'd like, and I can deal with less than perfect when the overall package is still pretty enjoyable. Link's Awakening DX is my favorite 2D Zelda, but the original GB and GBC sure as hell couldn't handle everything that game wanted to have on screen at times. Nintendo consoles not being able to keep up with their games is not some new phenomenon.

For someone who clearly prides themselves on being so opinionated, you sure do seem to have this burning desire to hunt down and convert anyone who doesn't think like you. Just except me for who I am already, please...

What exactly is your problem? Like where are these micro-agressions and snide personal remarks coming from? Because I was talking about the topic of the thread at hand and in no way was any of my comments negative towards you personally. I only negatively criticized Nintendo.

I'm perfectly capable of knowing full well what the definitions of words are, contradictory to your implications I'm not dumb. That comment was completely unprovoked and uncalled for. I just took some issue with the mention of sexual organs (gender specific or not) because you conveniently chose that specific phrase to say to me, which is not even a common phrase to begin with. Even if you weren't trying to be malicious, I'm sure you could now see how that was in poor taste.

I don't think I'm opinionated as I don't adhere to preconceived notions of others (which was literally what you expressed to me, about me in this thread) and the natural world. Who in their right mind would pride themselves on being close-minded and arrogant? Also that last sentence is so disingenuous and cringe. If you weren't going to address even half of my points I made and just spout your personal opinion of me you should've just not responded.

Last edited by tsogud - on 16 July 2021