By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 26, 2021 - (June 21 - June 27)

Another week the Switch loses out against last year. And that despite new releases topping the charts (Mario Golf, Samurai Warriors). Looks like maybe the Switch peaked 2020.

Samurai Warriors still has the bigger base in PS4, while other multiplats (Caligula Effect and Wicked King) do better on Switch.

With Scarlet Nexus PS5 has a decent entry into the TOP 10, congrats. That is at the side of rising PS5 sales. Nice! PS5 finally can take a hold.

Similarly Xbox Series is doing surprisingly well. That is more impressive, as the split between S and X suggests, that this week Xbox was hit by supply constraints, as the more popular X dropped to last week and people switched to S. Seems even japanese gamers cannot resist the sirens call of the Gamepass.

So it looks pretty good for the two new systems.

Monster Hunter Rise sales have slowed down significantly, it seems Momotaro will overtake it again soon.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Some quarterly Switch data:

SW-3707-5131-3911

Mnementh said:

Another week the Switch loses out against last year. And that despite new releases topping the charts (Mario Golf, Samurai Warriors). Looks like maybe the Switch peaked 2020.

I really doubt it. The switch is still 334575 units ahead compared to last year. Next week is 52k for last year so switch should increase the lead again. This week Switch just crossed the 3M mark something last year Switch didn't do till week 30, so basically is still 4 weeks ahead. 

edit: typos

Last edited by Chicho - on 02 July 2021

How's Switch supply in Japan? Can't sell what they don't have...

Nintendo seems to have made the same mistake as 2020 this year in not having any big system sellers in the second two thirds of the year, only the first few months. (Animal Crossing/Monster Hunter Rise)

Not to say the rest of the year doesn't have plentiful software, just nothing that looks like it will bring in substantial amounts of new buyers.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
wohufana said:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (3,888,483) finally outsold Splatoon 2 (3,888,454) after almost 4 years.

Next up is Pokemon Sword/Shield.

meanwhile splatoon 2 is actually catching up to Sw/Sh so that is a thing

curl-6 said:

Nintendo seems to have made the same mistake as 2020 this year in not having any big system sellers in the second two thirds of the year, only the first few months. (Animal Crossing/Monster Hunter Rise)

Not to say the rest of the year doesn't have plentiful software, just nothing that looks like it will bring in substantial amounts of new buyers.

Pokemon, SMT V, Metroid Dread says you're wrong

Bofferbrauer2 said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not saying those games won't sell well, I just can't see them significantly boosting hardware sales. SMT and Metroid are niche and Pokemon is a remake and from a series that already has two games on Switch.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I'm not saying those games won't sell well, I just can't see them significantly boosting hardware sales. SMT and Metroid are niche and Pokemon is a remake and from a series that already has two games on Switch.

Nintendo could fix this in just one strike: just announce Switch Sports finally!

But yeah, I am not sure myself about 2021 vs. 2020. The release schedule looks better than 2020, but nothing here screams system seller.

EDIT: Will be a great year for existing Switch owners like myself though. These games. *yummy*

Last edited by Mnementh - on 03 July 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

curl-6 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I can agree with Metroid, but not with SMT, at least not in Japan. While it won't be as big as Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest or Momotaro Dentetsu, the fact is that very few games could get up to those sizes. SMT V should do a couple 100k at the very least in Japan ad push sales quite a bit.