By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US rivers drying up, massive heat waves, devastating cold snaps

Parts of Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany also flooded. It isn't like weather extremes didn't happen before, but it's best to brace for them getting more extreme and frequent.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Majora said:
sundin13 said:

I mean, yeah, that was kind of my point...

Don't get your scientific information from the dang tele.

The “dang tele” agrees with you. But humour me - where do you get your information from? Genuinely, I want to know. Btw - I don’t watch the “dang tele”. I’m 32 years old, not 3.

Scientific journals and official releases by scientific organizations (such as NASA/NOAA) tend to be your best bet for sources if you are looking for science related information, and the picture they paint is pretty grim. I'm not sure where you draw the line on "climate alarmists", but it certainly shouldn't be dismissed. Is the planet going to be uninhabitable in ten years? Of course not, but anyone who is saying that probably has no idea what they are talking about (and anybody saying that this is what scientific consensus is stating also likely has no idea what they are talking about). 

I don't know, it seems to me that one of the most common tactics of those who wish to deny how pressing the climate change issue is, is to point at some newspaper from 1978 saying "The planet is going into a new ice age" and say "See, these scientists are idiots". Forgive me if I'm a bit on my toes when someone starts taking swipes at "climate alarmists", pointing to "news/stories from around the 60s to the 80s" without ample qualification as to exactly what they are criticizing. 

Majora said:

Any person who can genuinely say that a gay man can be homophobic, I don’t take anything else you say seriously. I know most will applaud and agree with you, such are the times, but you genuinely have no idea what you are talking about. 

Gay men absolutely can be homophobic.

Part of the reason why the LGBTQI community has such a high suicide rate is due to individuals that are unable to come to terms with their sexuality.

You would also be surprised on the amount of homophobes that are still in the closet.

Majora said:

As for your “gotcha” moment, of course I consider these things. If you think I am a fool, you have no respect for me, so once again, nothing you say can be taken seriously. 

I never asserted that you were a fool. Those are your words, not mine.
I also never asserted that I do not have respect for you, again, those are your words not mine.

Majora said:

A gay man who is in a relationship with someone who isn’t of the same race - and I’m homophobic and racist?  I would not like to spend even five minutes inside your mind. 

I never asserted that you were homophobic or racist, those are your words not mine.

You are making allot of assumptions here, so I suggest you put the conspiracy theories down.

Also keep in mind, I am also a gay man... But I have not once needed to hide behind that banner to try and undermine my opponents in debate.

Either way, this thread isn't about you... But about Climate Change, US Rivers, Heatwaves, Cold Snaps and more. Good idea to stick to the topic if we can.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 15 July 2021

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Majora said:

Any person who can genuinely say that a gay man can be homophobic, I don’t take anything else you say seriously. I know most will applaud and agree with you, such are the times, but you genuinely have no idea what you are talking about. 

Gay men absolutely can be homophobic.

Part of the reason why the LGBTQI community has such a high suicide rate is due to individuals that are unable to come to terms with their sexuality.

You would also be surprised on the amount of homophobes that are still in the closet.

Majora said:

As for your “gotcha” moment, of course I consider these things. If you think I am a fool, you have no respect for me, so once again, nothing you say can be taken seriously. 

I never asserted that you were a fool. Those are your words, not mine.
I also never asserted that I do not have respect for you, again, those are your words not mine.

Majora said:

A gay man who is in a relationship with someone who isn’t of the same race - and I’m homophobic and racist?  I would not like to spend even five minutes inside your mind. 

I never asserted that you were homophobic or racist, those are your words not mine.

You are making allot of assumptions here, so I suggest you put the conspiracy theories down.

Also keep in mind, I am also a gay man... But I have not once needed to hide behind that banner to try and undermine my opponents in debate.

Either way, this thread isn't about you... But about Climate Change, US Rivers, Heatwaves, Cold Snaps and more. Good idea to stick to the topic if we can.

Hahahahah.... thats just the cherry on top.

I found it crazy he was doing the "I dont believe in BLM or LGBTQ+ nonsense, its just rediculuse hysteria, that only serves our overlords who get money from strokeing up fear and terror!" and claiming that Climate change was just like that.

And then hes useing that arugment to win a climate debate, against a Fire Fighter (who should know more on climate change than him) and who happends to be gay as well.  Did he know you were gay? and was that why he used it? I found it odd it was brought up at all, in a thread about climate change. If he did know before hand, that wound atleast make some sense of it (to me).

Anyways, what a few on the internet think or not, doesnt really matter in the end.
Thankfully, what matters is that world leaders, are starting to take notice, of the issue of climate change, and actually doing something about it (instead of just speaking about it).

In that sense, atleast theres been some progress in the last 5-10 years.
It seems like the matter is being takeing more seriously than before.

Maybe you’re all correct and I’m wrong. I will think about this carefully. I may not be as eloquent as some here and perhaps I don’t portray my opinions as clearly as I would like. Certainly food for thought.

Around the Network
Qwark said:

Parts of Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany also flooded. It isn't like weather extremes didn't happen before, but it's best to brace for them getting more extreme and frequent.

Luxembourg too. In some cases, rivers went so high, they broke their old record levels by over 1M! Keep in mind that measurements had been made since the independence of our country in 1839, so it's not that those were set up only recently.

Thankfully, unlike in Belgium or Germany, nobody died here and damages are much more minor. But damn do some towns in Belgium and Germany look like warzones

And since BBC seems to forget Luxembourg despite it sitting on the center of their rain map:

https://today.rtl.lu/news/luxembourg/a/1756101.html

It's more subdued here, but still massive.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Qwark said:

Luxembourg too. In some cases, rivers went so high, they broke their old record levels by over 1M! Keep in mind that measurements had been made since the independence of our country in 1839, so it's not that those were set up only recently.

Thankfully, unlike in Belgium or Germany, nobody died here and damages are much more minor. But damn do some towns in Belgium and Germany look like warzones

And since BBC seems to forget Luxembourg despite it sitting on the center of their rain map:

So even Luxembourg partly flooded, damn. Luckily there are no deaths, but the damage is still huge. Pretty similar as in The Netherlands. In The Netherlands the waterlevels also broke records. Knowing the Dutch we usually keep a close eye to waterlevels. Luckily Maastricht (city with 125.000 citizens) didn't flood though, but it was very close.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

So even Luxembourg partly flooded, damn. Luckily there are no deaths, but the damage is still huge. Pretty similar as in The Netherlands. In The Netherlands the waterlevels also broke records. Knowing the Dutch we usually keep a close eye to waterlevels. Luckily Maastricht (city with 125.000 citizens) didn't flood though, but it was very close.

Luxembourg city partly did.

We also keep a close eye on the water levels. Even have a website specifically for it: https://www.inondations.lu/basins

This is the worst ice age

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Qwark said:

This is exactly 8 km beeline from my place:

Already up to 100 deaths in Germany with over 1000 people still missing.