By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Return of the King vs Return of the Jedi

Which is better?

Return of the King 60 75.95%

Return of the Jedi 19 24.05%

Total:79

Return of the Jedi is where Star Wars began its long decline into the mess of a franchise it is today. Everything after Luke rescues Han and Leia from Jabba is a slog quite frankly.

Return of the King is pretty good but Fellowship of the Ring is my favorite of the LOTR trilogy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:

This thread reminded me of that classic Star Wars Vs LOTR scene from Clerks 2 lol. To quote Randal:

"There's only one Return, and it ain't Of The King, it's Of The Jedi!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPl5MeXIM8E

Same.

Great movie.

I fucking HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE Star Wars so by that alone I choose Return of the King. Weakest LOTR film but still good.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Vodacixi said:

I hate TLotR trilogy. I have nothing against long movies (Gone with the Wind is one of my favourites), but this trilogy is sooooo slow and sooooo boring and uninteresting. They spend too much time on characters I don't care doing things that are not that important and they keep too many plot fronts open at the same time.

Return of the Jedi is much, MUCH more enjoyable overall. It's not my favourite Star Wars movie (Empire is), and the whole Ewok thing is kind of silly, but it is still a great movie, and as a conclusion of its trilogy... I don't think you can get much better than that.

I don't think I hate Lord of the Rings... but I share your feelings. Its very slow, many scenes don't see that important to the overall story, I couldn't name many characters because they aren't that interesting. I really don't understand the appeal of these movies.

The original trilogy of Star Wars is fun, the world is interesting, it left me wanting more even if everything after was crap. The worst thing movies can be is boring and that's Lord of the Rings. I am actually in the middle of slowly rewatching Return of the King and I am honestly bored.

I never saw The Hobbit movies and I plan on doing that next. I hear they suck, but I kinda hope they are so bad its actually fun. I am not in the mood for more slow, boring movies.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Vodacixi said:

I hate TLotR trilogy. I have nothing against long movies (Gone with the Wind is one of my favourites), but this trilogy is sooooo slow and sooooo boring and uninteresting. They spend too much time on characters I don't care doing things that are not that important and they keep too many plot fronts open at the same time.

Return of the Jedi is much, MUCH more enjoyable overall. It's not my favourite Star Wars movie (Empire is), and the whole Ewok thing is kind of silly, but it is still a great movie, and as a conclusion of its trilogy... I don't think you can get much better than that.

I don't think I hate Lord of the Rings... but I share your feelings. Its very slow, many scenes don't see that important to the overall story, I couldn't name many characters because they aren't that interesting. I really don't understand the appeal of these movies.

The original trilogy of Star Wars is fun, the world is interesting, it left me wanting more even if everything after was crap. The worst thing movies can be is boring and that's Lord of the Rings. I am actually in the middle of slowly rewatching Return of the King and I am honestly bored.

I never saw The Hobbit movies and I plan on doing that next. I hear they suck, but I kinda hope they are so bad its actually fun. I am not in the mood for more slow, boring movies.

Maybe "hate" was too hard of a word to use xD

Around the Network

Ewoks ruin RoJ so Return of The King.

LOTR is my favorite movie franchise, so Return of the King takes it easily. Star wars is overall a meh franchise, but there are definitely some good movies.

I’m the biggest Star Wars fan, but Return of the King is out of this world. Return of the King takes it for me.

The space battle and Luke on the Death Star with Vader and the Emperor in Return of the Jedi are two of the greatest things ever, but even with that it’s still the weakest of the original trilogy to me. I for one never really cared for the Tatooine bit (even though it’s an obvious necessity to the plot) and the Special Edition made it worse for again an obvious reason. Also the Ewoks and the battle on the planet surface is a little too convenient. It’s still better than pretty much every Star Wars movie that came after it in the series though, with only Revenge of the Sith and Rogue One being debatable, simply because of the space battle and Death Star scenes.

Return of the King on the other hand is from start to finish the most epic culmination of a story ever dreamt up, and every single scene is meaningful and filmed in the most awe-inspiring way. Even as a viewer you get all riled up by the speeches of Theoden right before the most amazing cavalry charge ever, the emotional words of Aragorn before the Black Gates, and of series’ greatest hero Samwise Gamgee that keep Frodo together. The music in the scene in Mount Doom and the struggle of Frodo with both the temptations of the Ring and Gollum is chilling, and Gollum throughout the trilogy is one of the best acting performances I’ve ever seen. All three movies are a showcase of moviemaking and a tier above almost everything else, but Return of the King shows how you end a story. I doubt we’ll ever see anything like it ever again.

Mr Puggsly said:

(..)

The Hobbit isn’t bad. It’s quite fun actually, even though it is an obvious step down from LotR artistically. It has a much less serious tone. People’s usual criticism is that it doesn’t follow the book as closely.

However, if you’re not that much a fan of LotR, chances are you’ll like The Hobbit better as far as entertainment value goes, they’re much less serious and a bit whimsical because unlike LotR, The Hobbit is originally a children’s book. You would experience some fluff though, which the movies added to tie it in better with the LotR trilogy, and if you’d watch the extended editions even moreso, but in The Hobbit’s case I wouldn’t recommend that for only a casual viewing.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 28 June 2021

Vodacixi said:

They spend too much time on characters I don't care doing things that are not that important and they keep too many plot fronts open at the same time.

All character plots and arcs are important

That's one of the trilogy strongest point, they created a intricate narrative sometime with 3 different storylines going on at the same time and made they all convey to the same point one way or another. There is nothing really filler going on screens, such a merit for an over 8 hours trilogy