By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Return of the King vs Return of the Jedi

Which is better?

Return of the King 60 75.95%

Return of the Jedi 19 24.05%

Total:79

It's incredible how this series barely aged, 20 years later and still that whimsical

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

Mr Puggsly said:

(..)

I never saw The Hobbit movies and I plan on doing that next. I hear they suck, but I kinda hope they are so bad its actually fun. I am not in the mood for more slow, boring movies.

The Hobbit isn’t bad. It’s quite fun actually, even though it is an obvious step down from LotR artistically. It has a much less serious tone. People’s usual criticism is that it doesn’t follow the book as closely.

However, if you’re not that much a fan of LotR, chances are you’ll like The Hobbit better as far as entertainment value goes, they’re much less serious and a bit whimsical because unlike LotR, The Hobbit is originally a children’s book. You would experience some fluff though, which the movies added to tie it in better with the LotR trilogy, and if you’d watch the extended editions even moreso, but in The Hobbit’s case I wouldn’t recommend that for only a casual viewing.

Even Peter Jackson thinks they suck. They were a rushed production. He had no passion for them. All shot on green screen. Some of the footage is actually froma Go Pro. They are bad. LOTR took several years to make. Hobbit was done in a hurry and it shows.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Nostalgia can't save this one, LotR it is. Star Wars was incredible in my youth, but LotR surpassed it. I prefer the extended editions though. The only blemish on LotR is the never ending ending. Wrap it up already!

dx11332sega said:
Jumpin said:

Return of the King, because, obviously.

Those of you voting Return of the Jedi should get tested for COVID-19.
A lack of taste is the first symptom :)

I wonder how arrows and rocks can hurt an armoured storm trooper?

Well, rocks are blunt force trauma and will take anyone down. Not to mention Stormtroopers are as effective as an expendable pawn in an evil army. A fart will take them down as long as it's by the hero. They're useless and as threatening as a foot tickle. They can't aim for shit.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
S.Peelman said:

The Hobbit isn’t bad. It’s quite fun actually, even though it is an obvious step down from LotR artistically. It has a much less serious tone. People’s usual criticism is that it doesn’t follow the book as closely.

However, if you’re not that much a fan of LotR, chances are you’ll like The Hobbit better as far as entertainment value goes, they’re much less serious and a bit whimsical because unlike LotR, The Hobbit is originally a children’s book. You would experience some fluff though, which the movies added to tie it in better with the LotR trilogy, and if you’d watch the extended editions even moreso, but in The Hobbit’s case I wouldn’t recommend that for only a casual viewing.

Even Peter Jackson thinks they suck. They were a rushed production. He had no passion for them. All shot on green screen. Some of the footage is actually froma Go Pro. They are bad. LOTR took several years to make. Hobbit was done in a hurry and it shows.

Yeah even speaking as someone who adores the LOTR films, the Hobbit trilogy sucks. It feels so rushed and padded. Should've been two 2-hour films, not three 3-hour films.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Oh Return of the King easily. Yeah it has a couple of lame moments, like when the ghost army bails everyone out by swooping in and wiping out the orc army - which tends to diminish the stakes and feeling of emotional investment. But overall it's just epic and one of the best films ever created in my humble opinion, start to finish. At least when it comes to the action and emotion, best of the trilogy IMO. I would argue that Fellowship is a bit more fun as an overall narrative, as I love a great adventure story. But for the most part Return is the pinnacle. The battle scenes are just insane. I still go back and watch the fight for Minas Tirith probably close to a monthly basis almost two decades later - particularly that goosebump-inducing Haradrim charge. 

Jedi? Ehh, it's still a pretty good film, being the last of the OT and conluding the similarly epic Star Wars story. But it just doesn't have that same magic for me that ANH and ESB had. The Ewoks were a bit silly and irritating, and the Leah reveal of being Luke's sister was a bit odd and poorly done IMO. Just semeed like Lucas needed another big twist, and always struck me as a bit odd that somehow Leah had memories of their mother while Luke did not being twins. These are more nitpicks of course, but just generally speaking I never felt nearly as invested in Jedi as the first two films.

edit: with that said I do really like the first scene with Jabba and the final conflict with the Emperor/celebration scene at the end of Jedi.

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 30 June 2021

"We hold these truths t-be self-ful evident. All men and women created by the.. Go-you know the.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Both great movies, but I have to go with Return of the Jedi, as it is my favorite of the Star Wars movies, whereas Two Towers is better than Return of the King, and Star Wars overall is slightly better than LOTR imo.  

NightDragon83 said:
JackHandy said:

I loved The Lord of the Rings movies but thought the third was the weakest. With Star Wars however, Jedi is my favorite, so that gets my vote. I can remember back when I first found out via the internet that a lot of people online didn't like Jedi. It completely dumbfounded me, despite hearing all of their reasons.

I'm still dumfounded.

Same, I loved Jedi as a kid and its still my personal fav, although I will agree that Empire is the superior film in many ways.

But I only discovered years later that the general "consensus" among SW fans is that Empire is the best (unless you were old enough to have seen the original in theaters, then its ok to say its the best to brandish your OG fan cred), and Jedi is the worst (or least best) of the bunch.

I think it all stems from the fact that since there was an over 15 year gap between Jedi the next film in the series, hardcore SW fans had to have something to argue and bicker about to fill the void all those years lol.

Yeah I also loved Jedi since I was a kid and was kinda shocked once I grew up and started reading online that many considered it a weak film and that Empire, which I personally found to be the least compelling entry of the original trilogy, was the best.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

All bow down before the KING! The answer to me is The Return of the King hands down, no contest. But... this answer is strongly biased, because The Lord of the Rings has a capital importance in my life: I read the trilogy in my early 10s and the movies were released shortly after, so I was exposed to the Tolkien universe in a big, big way and it had an equally big influence on me.

Besides, at that time I was a kid/teen living in a lower to middle class family with almost no access to technology, apart from one console with two games and a VHS player with four or five movies, so reading the events of the books and then watching them captured in a such a magnificent way was a magical experience for me back then. When I first got a VHS of The Fellowship of the Ring, I watched that movie literally once a day (for a total of tens of times, more than 50 for sure). Also, I used to go walking around my house every afternoon, while creating stories in my mind with the Middle Earth as the setting and my own character in the center of all the adventures. And as time went by, I started to add more original characters and creatures, and then I left the Middle Earth behind to create my own world, and I even invented my own runic language (a very basic one, but still). At some point, I had so much original content in my mind that I needed to express it in some way, and that's how I started the activity that has conditioned every single one of all the important decisions that I've made throughout my life: writing. And all of that started with The Lord of the Rings, so if there's One Bias in me to rule them all, this is it.

On the other hand, if I use the Force to try to hold that bias back, the result is still the same, but much less one-sided, because Star Wars has an excelent lore, fantastic ambientation and very good characterization with great special effects, and of the eight movies of the main saga that I've watched (I haven't had the chance to watch the last one yet, unfortunately), I've liked them all, including The Return of the Jedi. However, Star Wars in general is not as good in storytelling and dialogs as The Lord of the Rings is. And while a lot of people complain about the slowness of the latter (which is fine, because it's a matter of taste), that's not a problem at all for me, because I can enjoy both fast and slow movies as long as the pace is good, and The Lord of the Rings is very well paced (although The Two Towers is slightly worse than the other two in that regard).

I have periods of social disconnection, it's a part of me that I need and keenly embrace. I'll still log in and read news and threads during those times, but I won't be (very) active on the site, so I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause (late answers, bumps or the like).

Also...

Please, feel free to correct my English.

Verter said:

Star Wars has an excelent lore, fantastic ambientation and very good characterization with great special effects, and of the eight movies of the main saga that I've watched (I haven't had the chance to watch the last one yet, fortunately)

Fixed.