By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Return of the King vs Return of the Jedi

Which is better?

Return of the King 60 75.95%

Return of the Jedi 19 24.05%

Total:79
Vodacixi said:

They spend too much time on characters I don't care doing things that are not that important and they keep too many plot fronts open at the same time.

All character plots and arcs are important

That's one of the trilogy strongest point, they created a intricate narrative sometime with 3 different storylines going on at the same time and made they all convey to the same point one way or another. There is nothing really filler going on screens, such a merit for an over 8 hours trilogy 

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
JackHandy said:

I loved The Lord of the Rings movies but thought the third was the weakest. With Star Wars however, Jedi is my favorite, so that gets my vote. I can remember back when I first found out via the internet that a lot of people online didn't like Jedi. It completely dumbfounded me, despite hearing all of their reasons.

I'm still dumfounded.

Same, I loved Jedi as a kid and its still my personal fav, although I will agree that Empire is the superior film in many ways.

But I only discovered years later that the general "consensus" among SW fans is that Empire is the best (unless you were old enough to have seen the original in theaters, then its ok to say its the best to brandish your OG fan cred), and Jedi is the worst (or least best) of the bunch.

I think it all stems from the fact that since there was an over 15 year gap between Jedi the next film in the series, hardcore SW fans had to have something to argue and bicker about to fill the void all those years lol.

I agree SW Fandom is the worst Fandom in existence, but Return of the Jedi being the weakest entry is the consensus of both critics, academics and general public (non SW fans). There is very few value on it when we compare for the first two. When your idea for a climax is to recycle the climax of the first movie of a trilogy is because you are already in a mid of a early creative crisis. Not to say the movie suffers from a very episodic narrative, we clear have sub-episodes with very well delimited start and finish, kinda feels like a mini series that was cut, edited and released as a movie. While that's not block one's enjoyment, it also reveals how fragile is George Lucas as storyeller, he wasn't able to create a story that last over 2 hours with their own without abrupt transactions and that's generally something good unless you are doing it purposefully like let's say Kill Bill 

But overall my feelings watching Return of Jedi was always "this concluded the trilogy really  well and the same time added nothing?", really closer to nothing in therm of more world building (the only new Planet has nothing but a forest), lore, politics or politics subtext. I think the reason behind it was George was more worried about just closing stories rather than creating more things,  so it maybe was a conscious decision but for a franchise where creativity and setting was always the strongest point I found Jedi just the most uninspired of the bunch. An OK 7/10 movie, but that's it 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 28 June 2021

The weakest film in each trilogy in my opinion.
I think Return of the Jedi has the lowest lows (The Endor fight with the Ewoks) and the highest highs (Luke vs Vader and Palpatine, Battle of the second Death star and the Sarlacc pit) of the two films.
I prefer Return of the Jedi. The final duel between Luke and Vader might be my favorite sequence in any movie ever. The music sends chills down my spine and has done that for like 25 years.
As for Return of the king. This is more of a fault in the books, more than the film's - but ghosts showing up, being immortal and killing all opponents in a minute flat, was so incredibly anticlimactic to me. The height of action, suspense and so on is easily the arrival of the riders of Rohan - but even after that epic battle, we still got several battle scenes to go and over an hour of movie left. It's exhausting.

Jedi wins for me

IcaroRibeiro said:
Vodacixi said:

They spend too much time on characters I don't care doing things that are not that important and they keep too many plot fronts open at the same time.

That's one of the trilogy strongest point, they created a intricate narrative sometime with 3 different storylines going on at the same time and made they all convey to the same point one way or another. There is nothing really filler going on screens, such a merit for an over 8 hours trilogy 

Everything you said is meaningless to me xD

Return of the King, unquestionably. I personally dont see RoJedi on the same level, so theres not competition for me.
I consider myself both a SW and LOTR fan, but I've always seen RoJ as a rather weak finale for the trilogy, whereas RoK was a fantastic wrap up; still with some issues, perhaps not the strongest entry of the trilogy, but ultimately a great ending.

The other thing is that I feel people see the original SW trilogy through rose-colored lenses, I loved it back in the day but its a hard watch nowadays for me. Its not bad or anything of the sort, but being now an adult its easy to distinguish and notice the bad line delivery, dialogue and acting that used to go unnoticed when I was a kid.

Around the Network

Return of LoD would be ideal.

Return of the King is the better-crafted film, esp. if we're using the Special Edition version of RotJ as our point of comparison (holy crap, was the "Jedi Rocks" scene horrible). It won the Best Picture Oscar for a reason.

Return of the Jedi is the more entertaining film, however. Lots of adventure, excitement, and eye-catching visuals, characters, and locales.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Vodacixi said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Everything you said is meaningless to me xD

I see. But all plots are important. You can't really move out any of them, at least not without compromising the story 

S.Peelman said:

Mr Puggsly said:

(..)

I never saw The Hobbit movies and I plan on doing that next. I hear they suck, but I kinda hope they are so bad its actually fun. I am not in the mood for more slow, boring movies.

The Hobbit isn’t bad. It’s quite fun actually, even though it is an obvious step down from LotR artistically. It has a much less serious tone. People’s usual criticism is that it doesn’t follow the book as closely.

However, if you’re not that much a fan of LotR, chances are you’ll like The Hobbit better as far as entertainment value goes, they’re much less serious and a bit whimsical because unlike LotR, The Hobbit is originally a children’s book. You would experience some fluff though, which the movies added to tie it in better with the LotR trilogy, and if you’d watch the extended editions even moreso, but in The Hobbit’s case I wouldn’t recommend that for only a casual viewing.

I am familiar with The Hobbit book so I can be more critical of changes made in the films.

But as I pointed out, I am very bored by the tone and character of LotR. On a side note, even though its an ugly film, I think I prefer the 1978 animated film. It just moves faster and has more personality. Something I didn't really expect when revisiting these films.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
S.Peelman said:

The Hobbit isn’t bad. It’s quite fun actually, even though it is an obvious step down from LotR artistically. It has a much less serious tone. People’s usual criticism is that it doesn’t follow the book as closely.

However, if you’re not that much a fan of LotR, chances are you’ll like The Hobbit better as far as entertainment value goes, they’re much less serious and a bit whimsical because unlike LotR, The Hobbit is originally a children’s book. You would experience some fluff though, which the movies added to tie it in better with the LotR trilogy, and if you’d watch the extended editions even moreso, but in The Hobbit’s case I wouldn’t recommend that for only a casual viewing.

I am familiar with The Hobbit book so I can be more critical of changes made in the films.

But as I pointed out, I am very bored by the tone and character of LotR. On a side note, even though its an ugly film, I think I prefer the 1978 animated film. It just moves faster and has more personality. Something I didn't really expect when revisiting these films.

I still want to see that version some time.

But if that’s the case for you with LotR, then you’ll probably have a similar problem with The Hobbit trilogy too, since the fluff is of such a magnitude that the whole thing is much longer than the book is.