By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Return of the King vs Return of the Jedi

Which is better?

Return of the King 60 75.95%

Return of the Jedi 19 24.05%

Total:79

Both films served as the climactic third act of their respective trilogies, The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars respectively; which did you think was the better movie, and why?

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 June 2021

Around the Network

Wow, that is a super tough choice. Both trilogies are awesome and both of those movies provide a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. I may even like the Star Wars trilogy slightly better, but I think I have to give this match-up to Return of the King. Return of the Jedi is a good movie, but it is not the best movie in it's trilogy. Return of the King actually is my favorite movie in its trilogy. That is a movie that gives a very strong ending to the whole story.

Any The Lord of The Rings movie is much better than any Star Wars movie, let alone Return of Jedi that is by far the weakest entry in OG Trilogy with a uninspired vanilla screenplay and a climax that is essentially just destroy an even bigger death star

Oversll SW is good, but Lord of the Rings is the definitive blockbuster trilogy I don't think we will ever see something alike again. It was bold to film all 3 movies at the same time with only one narrative structure. There was a project with very few room to mistakes and they just delivered it perfectly

Return of the King, by a long shot. To date, it still remains the most ambitious epic ever filmed and has the best conclusion to any cinematic franchise. There's a reason that it swept the Oscars, despite being in a genre that's largely overlooked by awards: it's a masterwork in virtually every aspect of filmmaking and storytelling.

Return of the Jedi was the best of the Trilogy, but it doesn't hold up in quite as many areas as Return of the King, and certainly falls short in technological achievement.

Not even close

Lord of the Rings trilogy will be timeless

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Kings take this even though two towers was a way better movie

This thread reminded me of that classic Star Wars Vs LOTR scene from Clerks 2 lol. To quote Randal:

"There's only one Return, and it ain't Of The King, it's Of The Jedi!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPl5MeXIM8E

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I loved The Lord of the Rings movies but thought the third was the weakest. With Star Wars however, Jedi is my favorite, so that gets my vote. I can remember back when I first found out via the internet that a lot of people online didn't like Jedi. It completely dumbfounded me, despite hearing all of their reasons.

I'm still dumfounded.

JackHandy said:

I loved The Lord of the Rings movies but thought the third was the weakest. With Star Wars however, Jedi is my favorite, so that gets my vote. I can remember back when I first found out via the internet that a lot of people online didn't like Jedi. It completely dumbfounded me, despite hearing all of their reasons.

I'm still dumfounded.

Same, I loved Jedi as a kid and its still my personal fav, although I will agree that Empire is the superior film in many ways.

But I only discovered years later that the general "consensus" among SW fans is that Empire is the best (unless you were old enough to have seen the original in theaters, then its ok to say its the best to brandish your OG fan cred), and Jedi is the worst (or least best) of the bunch.

I think it all stems from the fact that since there was an over 15 year gap between Jedi the next film in the series, hardcore SW fans had to have something to argue and bicker about to fill the void all those years lol.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I hate TLotR trilogy. I have nothing against long movies (Gone with the Wind is one of my favourites), but this trilogy is sooooo slow and sooooo boring and uninteresting. They spend too much time on characters I don't care doing things that are not that important and they keep too many plot fronts open at the same time.

Return of the Jedi is much, MUCH more enjoyable overall. It's not my favourite Star Wars movie (Empire is), and the whole Ewok thing is kind of silly, but it is still a great movie, and as a conclusion of its trilogy... I don't think you can get much better than that.