By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When do you think they'll announces Switch Pro?

Norion said:

I'm not sure when but I hope it's this year so people don't have to wait much longer to get a nice upgrade.

Slownenberg said:

Possibly upgraded model may be pushed back to next year because it simply isn't needed at all this year, and Switch 2 is pushed back to like 2026.

At this point a Switch 2 coming out before 2025 would require the legendary sales "cliff" to appear, which doesn't seem at all likely, and even if it did that'd make a Switch 2 probably launch holiday 2024. 2026 successor is the most likely at this point.

Keep in mind they released the 3DS while the DS was still doing well. 2022 seeing just a slight decline from this year followed by the Switch 2 launching holiday 2023 would match that scenario pretty closely so very high Switch sales currently doesn't necessarily mean the successor is very far away. A holiday 2024 release date can happen even with sales still being pretty strong in 2023.

You're right that they do have a history of cutting off their portable systems very early (GBA, DS), but not their home systems. Seeing as how they only have one system now I don't see them cutting off a system that will deliver huge software sales for years to come.

We also have Nintendo having repeatedly stated that they are planning for a longer lifespan for the Switch, which means no handheld-style early cutoff is happening.

We're four years in, sales will probably be about 30 million this year, we've only had one model variation and waiting for the second one, and zero price cuts. The Switch train ain't being replaced any time soon.

I suppose if they did decide to cut it off early, so as to not lose any hardware momentum, they could do a holiday 2024 or Spring 2025 successor. Switch sales should still be very robust in 2024 and then they'd go straight into having a new system on the market. The people who are talking about a 2022/2023 successor are nuts though.

Depends on their strategy. If they want no loss in momentum but willing to sacrifice many tens of millions of software sales on Switch and maybe 20 million hardware sales of Switch they could replace it around holiday '24 / spring '25. Or if they want to milk its popularity and user buying enthusiasm and let the upgraded 4k model replace the original model and bring out a new Mario Kart on Switch and do another 3D Mario and so on and fill out all the missing IP that Nintendo has then 2026/2027 would work (those sorts of games coming out in 2023/24 and then ready to hit Switch 2 with the next iterations in 2026/27/28. That way they could maybe have a powerful enough Switch 2 that can get multiplat third party games with the 2020 home consoles.

The fact that the rumored new model is 4k capable almost gives credence to the idea that a new system isn't coming any time in the next few years. Switch 4k model bridges the feature gap between Switch and the home consoles/Switch 2. So it makes a Switch 2 anytime in the next 3 years seem far fetched. They can sell the 4k Switch model at $400 when it launches in '21/'22, and for people who think the price is outrageous that's fine, the OG and Lite models are available. In '23/'24 they can drop it to $300 and still have a full priced system selling and get rid of the OG model. So that means going into 2024 there is absolutely no need for a Switch 2 at a similar price point to the Switch.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

I'm not sure if anyone has had this take, but I now believe Nintendo cancelled the Pro. I think they were expecting Switch sales to be lower last year (by a lot) and not even close to what they have been this year, which would warrant a Switch Pro. They don't release new hardware, I don't believe unless their current hardware sales are tanking or at least diminishing greatly. We are still seeing roughly 400k Switch's sell every week and we are only in the second quarter, so why would they need to release the Pro at this point at all? To play some more games for the 10-20% (max) of their userbase that would bother to get the upgrade? I think not.

Instead, I predict they simply scrapped it and are instead going full throttle on Switch 2 upgrade that will launch 6 years after Switch, in March 2023. This will have tech in it that makes the Pro look like a joke by comparison, and people will have only have had to wait another 1-1.5years after the Pro would have come out in the first place. I think that small of a wait is worthwhile to consumers and to Nintendo so as to unify the playerbase of Switch 2.

That's a lot of wasted money if they're this close to releasing it, and 20% would be 100% worth it. 

They could still release a new console two years later, believe the same happened with the PS4 pro and Xbox One X.

Slownenberg said:
Norion said:

I'm not sure when but I hope it's this year so people don't have to wait much longer to get a nice upgrade.

Keep in mind they released the 3DS while the DS was still doing well. 2022 seeing just a slight decline from this year followed by the Switch 2 launching holiday 2023 would match that scenario pretty closely so very high Switch sales currently doesn't necessarily mean the successor is very far away. A holiday 2024 release date can happen even with sales still being pretty strong in 2023.

You're right that they do have a history of cutting off their portable systems very early (GBA, DS), but not their home systems. Seeing as how they only have one system now I don't see them cutting off a system that will deliver huge software sales for years to come.

We also have Nintendo having repeatedly stated that they are planning for a longer lifespan for the Switch, which means no handheld-style early cutoff is happening.

We're four years in, sales will probably be about 30 million this year, we've only had one model variation and waiting for the second one, and zero price cuts. The Switch train ain't being replaced any time soon.

I suppose if they did decide to cut it off early, so as to not lose any hardware momentum, they could do a holiday 2024 or Spring 2025 successor. Switch sales should still be very robust in 2024 and then they'd go straight into having a new system on the market. The people who are talking about a 2022/2023 successor are nuts though.

Depends on their strategy. If they want no loss in momentum but willing to sacrifice many tens of millions of software sales on Switch and maybe 20 million hardware sales of Switch they could replace it around holiday '24 / spring '25. Or if they want to milk its popularity and user buying enthusiasm and let the upgraded 4k model replace the original model and bring out a new Mario Kart on Switch and do another 3D Mario and so on and fill out all the missing IP that Nintendo has then 2026/2027 would work (those sorts of games coming out in 2023/24 and then ready to hit Switch 2 with the next iterations in 2026/27/28. That way they could maybe have a powerful enough Switch 2 that can get multiplat third party games with the 2020 home consoles.

The fact that the rumored new model is 4k capable almost gives credence to the idea that a new system isn't coming any time in the next few years. Switch 4k model bridges the feature gap between Switch and the home consoles/Switch 2. So it makes a Switch 2 anytime in the next 3 years seem far fetched. They can sell the 4k Switch model at $400 when it launches in '21/'22, and for people who think the price is outrageous that's fine, the OG and Lite models are available. In '23/'24 they can drop it to $300 and still have a full priced system selling and get rid of the OG model. So that means going into 2024 there is absolutely no need for a Switch 2 at a similar price point to the Switch.

They did cut off the Wii kinda early but their intent to have a longer lifespan for the Switch is good evidence for the chance of that happening. I just find it a bit bothersome when people say the high sales means a really long lifespan when that hasn't been the case multiple times before. I wouldn't say holiday 2024 is early since that'll mean the gap between the Switch and its successor is a bit over 7.5 years which would be longer than every other Nintendo console gap other than the GB and GBA one but I do agree thinking 2022 is possible is really silly since if that was happening there would already be rumours and whatnot going around about it.

I still think an announcement after the holidays and a release next March is probably the most likely scenario. It could still be announced ad released this year (I imagine that it would launch on the same day as Metroid Dread because that seems like the only decent Nintendo title this holiday to launch alongside new hardware).

At the same time, they don't really need it this year and with the semiconductor shortage, I think they should wait until next year. Also, Switch is still selling like crazy. Maybe do a price drop this holiday then. If it launches in March, I could see it launching with Splatoon 3. Would've preferred BOTW 2, but I'm doubting that game would release in March of next year and I don't think Nintendo should wait until the end of next year to launch a Switch Pro.

Slownenberg said:
Dulfite said:

I'm not sure if anyone has had this take, but I now believe Nintendo cancelled the Pro. I think they were expecting Switch sales to be lower last year (by a lot) and not even close to what they have been this year, which would warrant a Switch Pro. They don't release new hardware, I don't believe unless their current hardware sales are tanking or at least diminishing greatly. We are still seeing roughly 400k Switch's sell every week and we are only in the second quarter, so why would they need to release the Pro at this point at all? To play some more games for the 10-20% (max) of their userbase that would bother to get the upgrade? I think not.

Instead, I predict they simply scrapped it and are instead going full throttle on Switch 2 upgrade that will launch 6 years after Switch, in March 2023. This will have tech in it that makes the Pro look like a joke by comparison, and people will have only have had to wait another 1-1.5years after the Pro would have come out in the first place. I think that small of a wait is worthwhile to consumers and to Nintendo so as to unify the playerbase of Switch 2.

So you think they scrapped the upgraded model because Switch sales are so good, but somehow think they're gonna rush a Switch 2 to the market a few years before it is needed while Switch is still killing it....because Switch sales were too good for a new model?? Might want to work on the logic of that one.

Possibly upgraded model may be pushed back to next year because it simply isn't needed at all this year, and Switch 2 is pushed back to like 2026.

At this point a Switch 2 coming out before 2025 would require the legendary sales "cliff" to appear, which doesn't seem at all likely, and even if it did that'd make a Switch 2 probably launch holiday 2024. 2026 successor is the most likely at this point.

Them releasing Switch 2 in March 2023 is exactly 6 years after Switch 1 came out. Traditionally their console life cycles are 6 years roughly. That isn't rushing anything. Sales for Switch will absolutely start dropping off in 2022 and even moreso in 2023, if history proves correct again. My logic is based on history of previous Nintendo handhelds and home consoles, by the way. If Nintendo has a choice of pushing out a Pro in 2022 in order to achive a slight bump in Switch 1 sales vs. waiting until 2023 to release a fully upgraded Switch 2 which will be aimed at the entire market, they will choose option 2. It's not about how much a console sells lifetime, it's about what method leads to sustained Y/Y sales. 

There is no precedence for them waiting until 2024, let alone 2025 or 2026 to release their next console. That would break with their entire history as a gaming company to do that. Could they do that, sure, but why would they? They will sell far, far more Switch 2's in the years 2024-2026 than they would Switch 1's. Again, it's about sustained Y/Y sales, not about lifetime console sales. That's the road to financial stability. They don't want crazy high years and crazy low years, they want stability.

Around the Network
ice said:
Dulfite said:

That's a lot of wasted money if they're this close to releasing it, and 20% would be 100% worth it. 

They could still release a new console two years later, believe the same happened with the PS4 pro and Xbox One X.

Not if by releasing it they have to push back the Switch 2 release. Switch 2 has far more sales potential than Switch Pro does, and will appeal to everyone, whereas Switch Pro will only appeal to the most hardcore of tech obsessors. Most people don't care about fps or resolution, just the most hardcore of gamers.

Depends what you think/expect the Switch Pro to be

If a minor enhanced version them probably early next year.

If a nextgen system then I hope 2023 or later. It needs to be able to run 1080p in handheld mode and 4K mode (Using DLSS) on TV and be able to easily handle ports of PS5 and Xbox X games from 3rd parties so there isn't a struggle to port them or total gimped versions of them.

trunkswd said:
eddy7eddy said:

Exactly same thought, with Zelda BotW 2 along with it on March. 

If we still have problem with the Switch demand/production, I don't know then haha, they are going to start thinking about Switch 2 probably.

It has been rumored/reported on for so long I would laugh if it ends up not being a real then in a few years they announce the Switch 2. But Microsoft did launch the Xbox One X just 3 years for the Series X|S. 

Yeah, too many leaks but in the end we get Switch 2 haha. Is funny how just one year can make a big difference for PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

Last edited by eddy7eddy - on 20 June 2021

wombat123 said:
Dulfite said:

If the Switch upgrade is actually a successor, then it's going to release between 2022-2023 and all 1st party games are going to be multi-gen for the first couple of years like what Microsoft is doing with their new console.  In that instance, it will basically act like an upgraded model while getting 3rd party games that can't run on the Switch.

If not that, then we aren't getting a Switch successor until 2026 because after all of Nintendo's major teams release games in 2022-2023, it's going to take them until 2026 before they're ready to go again.

I like your idea. Switch 2 soon + dual support with low end and high end modes until Switch 1 software sales drop below a certain threshold. All Switch 1 software functions on Switch 2, with update options devs can use for higher settings on Switch 2. Very little software on Switch 2 will be exclusive, for years, as most games will be feasible as dual-software.

This isn’t anything radical, mobile phones have done it for 15 years. PCs for about 30. Consoles have slipped way behind the curve. The only arguments I ever see is “software companies won’t be able to gouge customers by making them rebuy software every gen” - which is both false and silly, PC games get new editions all the time, despite the old ones still being functional - also, gouging annoys customers and can undermine your platform, case and point: Virtual Console.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I think their original plan was to announce it before E3, but they changed their mind at some point.  There were just too many rumors, including from Bloomberg news, in order for this to be totally nothing.  The real questions are "why did they delay the announcement" and "when will it actually come"?

Some reasons why they might have delayed the announcement:
-They realized that Switch sales are going to be up this year even without new hardware.
-Because of parts shortages, they realized they need more time to manufacture enough of the Pro model before it releases.
-There is a key game (or games) that they wanted to release with it to show off the hardware, and the game(s) got delayed.
-They are sick and tired of all of the damn leaks, and they wanted the leakers to have egg on their face.

Out of these 4 reasons, only the last one suggests they are going to release the model this year.  Sales are good without it?  Release next year.  Parts shortages?  Wait until after the holidays.  Key game?  Well what would be the key game?  The games most people commented on having good graphics were Mario+Rabbids 2 and BotW2.  Both of those games are coming in 2022.  On the other hand I've heard complaints about the graphics of both Pokemon BD/SP and Advance Wars Re-Boot Camp, and both of those games are coming during the 2021 holiday season.  It seems to me that the Switch Pro release is going to happen next year.

I think they are going to release the Switch Pro around March 2022, which means they'll probably announce it in January.  That will give them a full year to ramp up production and phase out the old model.

This was my thought as well, the 1st party lineup this fall consists of WarioWare, 2D Metroid, Mario Party, Pokemon & Advance Wars. None of these titles seem like a good fit to show off upgraded hardware.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.