By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When do you think they'll announces Switch Pro?

Amnesia said:

I still believe there won't be.

Switch pro confirmed then

Around the Network

Unless they want a really long gap between the Switch's launch in 2017 and a Switch successor's launch, it has to be coming out fall of this year or by March 2022.
I think it will get announced this summer in some random event or possibly a Nintendo Direct.

I suppose there's also a chance that this piece of hardware is the Switch's successor, and they take the Sony/Microsoft approach where a lot of first-party titles are cross-gen for the first year or two. That way they can extend the life of the Switch while also bringing a full-on successor to the plate that gets a new audience. But for that to happen, I think the new hardware would have to launch in 2022 or later.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I'm starting to think that because there is no sales related reason to bring out an upgrade this year, cuz Switch is gonna sell probably 29/30 million this year anyways, they are gonna hold back the new model until next year. Maybe announce it next Spring and release it next summer.

Next year they'll drop Pokemon Legends in January, BotW2 maybe in March, reveal new model perhaps in April, release new model let's say in July, maybe drop Splatoon 3 in September, and who knows maybe have a 2D Mario game in November. Keep the mega selling hype bombs dropping throughout the year.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 19 June 2021

SKMBlake said:
Amnesia said:

I still believe there won't be.

Switch pro confirmed then

I am too young here for having already a reputation of making wrong prediction.

But this one, I am telling it since 2019 that there will never be any Switch Pro because the Switch is already the "Wii U Pro" of the 8th gen.

I'm not sure if anyone has had this take, but I now believe Nintendo cancelled the Pro. I think they were expecting Switch sales to be lower last year (by a lot) and not even close to what they have been this year, which would warrant a Switch Pro. They don't release new hardware, I don't believe unless their current hardware sales are tanking or at least diminishing greatly. We are still seeing roughly 400k Switch's sell every week and we are only in the second quarter, so why would they need to release the Pro at this point at all? To play some more games for the 10-20% (max) of their userbase that would bother to get the upgrade? I think not.

Instead, I predict they simply scrapped it and are instead going full throttle on Switch 2 upgrade that will launch 6 years after Switch, in March 2023. This will have tech in it that makes the Pro look like a joke by comparison, and people will have only have had to wait another 1-1.5years after the Pro would have come out in the first place. I think that small of a wait is worthwhile to consumers and to Nintendo so as to unify the playerbase of Switch 2.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

I'm not sure if anyone has had this take, but I now believe Nintendo cancelled the Pro. I think they were expecting Switch sales to be lower last year (by a lot) and not even close to what they have been this year, which would warrant a Switch Pro. They don't release new hardware, I don't believe unless their current hardware sales are tanking or at least diminishing greatly. We are still seeing roughly 400k Switch's sell every week and we are only in the second quarter, so why would they need to release the Pro at this point at all? To play some more games for the 10-20% (max) of their userbase that would bother to get the upgrade? I think not.

Instead, I predict they simply scrapped it and are instead going full throttle on Switch 2 upgrade that will launch 6 years after Switch, in March 2023. This will have tech in it that makes the Pro look like a joke by comparison, and people will have only have had to wait another 1-1.5years after the Pro would have come out in the first place. I think that small of a wait is worthwhile to consumers and to Nintendo so as to unify the playerbase of Switch 2.

So you think they scrapped the upgraded model because Switch sales are so good, but somehow think they're gonna rush a Switch 2 to the market a few years before it is needed while Switch is still killing it....because Switch sales were too good for a new model?? Might want to work on the logic of that one.

Possibly upgraded model may be pushed back to next year because it simply isn't needed at all this year, and Switch 2 is pushed back to like 2026.

At this point a Switch 2 coming out before 2025 would require the legendary sales "cliff" to appear, which doesn't seem at all likely, and even if it did that'd make a Switch 2 probably launch holiday 2024. 2026 successor is the most likely at this point.

At this point, I think "Switch 2" will be a more appropriate name when it actually drops.

Spoiler alert....not anytime soon.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I hope never. I just want Switch 2 at this point - a console with an actual future, not a dead end and pretentious name.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I'm not sure when but I hope it's this year so people don't have to wait much longer to get a nice upgrade.

Slownenberg said:

Possibly upgraded model may be pushed back to next year because it simply isn't needed at all this year, and Switch 2 is pushed back to like 2026.

At this point a Switch 2 coming out before 2025 would require the legendary sales "cliff" to appear, which doesn't seem at all likely, and even if it did that'd make a Switch 2 probably launch holiday 2024. 2026 successor is the most likely at this point.

Keep in mind they released the 3DS while the DS was still doing well. 2022 seeing just a slight decline from this year followed by the Switch 2 launching holiday 2023 would match that scenario pretty closely so very high Switch sales currently doesn't necessarily mean the successor is very far away. A holiday 2024 release date can happen even with sales still being pretty strong in 2023.

Dulfite said:

If the Switch upgrade is actually a successor, then it's going to release between 2022-2023 and all 1st party games are going to be multi-gen for the first couple of years like what Microsoft is doing with their new console.  In that instance, it will basically act like an upgraded model while getting 3rd party games that can't run on the Switch.

If not that, then we aren't getting a Switch successor until 2026 because after all of Nintendo's major teams release games in 2022-2023, it's going to take them until 2026 before they're ready to go again.

Last edited by wombat123 - on 19 June 2021