By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How well do you think Metroid Dread will sell?

Predict Metroid Dread Sales

1M or less 3 3.23%

1M to 2M 21 22.58%

2M to 3M 34 36.56%

3M + 35 37.63%

Total:93
IcaroRibeiro said:

LA had everything played perfectly to be a stellar seller, after making 3 million on first quarter this forum went wild and people were predicting almost 10 million. 2 years later still on the 5 million range, just because it exhausted the pool of people willing to pay 60 USD and will only get residual sales, mostly from quick discounts Nintendo give from time to time

Link's Awakening remake sold more than a million more copies than the original game it remade. Yet you spin it as somehow being not good or something (you actually don't specify exactly what you want to say, but between the lines you seem to insinuate, that the 5million+ copies are not good). And no, some overenthusiastic prediction of forumgoers does exactly proof nothing, people do this all the time.

So you should really, really check your reasoning, because you make less and less sense.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

We already had 2D Zeldas selling 5 million. LA sales are disappointing, it was the game released after BOTW by far the most popular Zelda of all time

Poor Metroid Dread will launch after almost a decade of a franchise collecting dust. People here are screaming Zelda when Metroid situation is much closer to Kirby lol 

I think you’re the ONLY person here who thinks LA sales are disappointing.

For a $60 remake of a Game Boy game, it has already outsold the original version and if it sells another 1.03 million it’ll pass the original Legend of Zelda for the best selling 2D game in the franchise. How is that possibly disappointing?

It sold 3 million in the first quarter, the sales just died too fast. It was released after a evergreen Zelda and was met with the franchise on the peak of its popularity 

If you want to see how many people was disappointed when LA disappeared from Nintendo report just one quarter after launch you just need go find the thread where its absense was first noticed 

Mnementh said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

LA had everything played perfectly to be a stellar seller, after making 3 million on first quarter this forum went wild and people were predicting almost 10 million. 2 years later still on the 5 million range, just because it exhausted the pool of people willing to pay 60 USD and will only get residual sales, mostly from quick discounts Nintendo give from time to time

Link's Awakening remake sold more than a million more copies than the original game it remade. Yet you spin it as somehow being not good or something (you actually don't specify exactly what you want to say, but between the lines you seem to insinuate, that the 5million+ copies are not good). And no, some overenthusiastic prediction of forumgoers does exactly proof nothing, people do this all the time.

So you should really, really check your reasoning, because you make less and less sense.

Good is a subjective evaluation. If you want me to say LA was successful  then yes, it was absolutely successful, probably break even with less than 1 million copies and everything else was pure profits 

Disappointing however it was. But disappointing and bad sales are different things. If BOTW 2 sells... let's say 8 million copies. It's for sure very good numbers, but a disappointment because the hype and anticipation as just too high and is succeeding BOTW, on the road to sell 30 million copies 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Mnementh said:

Good is a subjective evaluation. If you want me to say LA was successful  then yes, it was absolutely successful, probably break even with less than 1 million copies and everything else was pure profits 

Disappointing however it was. But disappointing and bad sales are different things. If BOTW 2 sells... let's say 8 million copies. It's for sure very good numbers, but a disappointment because the hype and anticipation as just too high and is succeeding BOTW, on the road to sell 30 million copies 

Sorry, that just doesn't work. I could say Skyrim sales were disappointing, because it didn't hit 100M, so couldn't even match Minecraft, despite being much more hyped and had much more shiny 3D graphics.

You construct similarly silly expectation, to then claim that they weren't reached and therefore the sales were disappointing. No, no, a remake of an older game isn't expected to sell as good as a new entrywith groundbreaking new mechanics, we even expect remakes to usually sell less than the game they are remaking.

Similarly why do you try to pin the expectation on BOTW2, that it will sell as well as or better than BOTW? Never before had the second mainline zelda on a console sold more than the first. Majora's Mask sold half of what Ocarina of Time sold. The adventure of Link sold about two thirds of what the original Zelda sold. Twilight Princess did indeed sold more than Wind Waker, but not on the Gamecube, on which it did less than half. Skyward Sword did a bit more than half the sales Twilight Princess had on Wii. So no, BOTW2 sales will not anywhere close to the sales of BOTW.

So would you say, that Ratchet&Clank Rifts Apart doesn't sell 30 million, it will be disappointing? Everything can be disappointing, if I set completely outlandish expectations. For the Link's Awakening remake the serious expectation would've been less than the original, so about 3 million. For BOTW2 the realistic expectation based on history is about half to two thirds of BOTW (on Switch), so 10-15 million. Applying completely outlandish expectation and being 'disappointed' is a tactic to diminish a success.

To circle it back to the threads topic: based on the history of Metroid, an expectation of 1.4M-1.8M would be completely in line with historic data and therefore a pretty safe prediction. Less than that would indeed be disappointing. Including optimistic factors of 'Switch boost' may bring you to a more adventurous expectation of between 2M-3M. Failing that would be still OK, but disappointing the expectation that Metroid might be able to grow on Switch. Expecting more than 3M is a bold or 'crazy' prediction. If Metroid Dread actually sells more than 3M, that would be absolutely amazing and groundbreaking for the series. Failing that number wouldn't be disappointing at all.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 19 June 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

IcaroRibeiro said:
GoOnKid said:

I'm sorry but no, prduction values are irrelevant to the final price. A company can spend hundreds of millions on dollars on one product and at the same time only a few dollars on another product but still offer both for the same price if they want to. When you say platform userbase, branding, marketing and selling price, you mean demand and yes I agree with this very much. What defines the price is the expected demand, and Nintendo realizes that the demand for this game is very high, so they have zero reason to offer this game at a lower price. And yes, their approach to pricing is a strategic one. They don't drop prices like almost everybody else in the business because they simply don't want to, I also agree, and they have their reasons. Strong branding is a big reason behind it, you already said that as well. We actually agree on a lot, just not on the production values thing.

I'm confused, you say budget and production value have no correlation, but then agree with me when I say budget is defined by potential revenue? 

Remember revenue is nothing more than units vs selling price. The market behave in a way such as when you lower the price, the sales increase. Of course, this is not a simple equation, but this a market rule unless we are talking about Veblen's Goodies like let's say very rare limited editions

If a company is willing to keep their prices high even if it will thrown away sales they are doing so for 2 reasons:

a) Lowering the price won't drive enough sales to increase the profit margins. This is the reason why 90% of games launch full price, even if they suffer mandatory price cuts only 2 months later 

b) The company wants to keep a luxury image as much as possible even if it leads to smaller profits. This is the reason why dead games (sales-wise) never suffer price cuts,  like Astral Chain  any reason to keep selling it for 60 USD after 2 years? 

If Dread launched at 60 USD and then started selling for 40 USD after 6 months I'm sure it would have much bigger legs, bigger sales and bigger revenue, but Nintendo don't want to damage their image. 

Well I'm confused now as well, because I never spoke about revenue at all. I said Nintendo can get away with full price because the demand is very high. Revenue is calculated as units x selling price. Now when you substract the production values off the revenue you get profits, but that isn't what we were talking about.

Yes, lowering the price increases the demand, but I am trying to tell you all along that the demand is already big enough to justify the full price. And again, the pricing is a strategic decision. A full price game that gets devalued after a short period of time will lead to a better performance in the short term, but it will damage the brand in the long run because at some point the customer expects this with future games as well. This is why so many gamers are waiting for price drops nowadays: they simply got trained to do so. In the long run, this strategy damages the companies much more than what they gain in the short run.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Maybe for you, I assure it's not true for the market. The best selling Zelda on 3DS was Ocarina of Time remastered, more than A Link Between Worlds a "fresh new game" 

Wind Waker HD on the Wii U (biggest flop) sold 2.3 million copies, Majora's Mask sold over 3 million copies. Overall Zelda franchise has a history of selling very well their remasters

LA being built from the ground as a new game was definitely a plus. It didn't sell accordingly just because it's a 2D game, and the demand for 2D Zelda is just not as big as 3D Zelda as Ocarina of time and A Link Between Worlds example showed us 

I said sales potential, not real-world performance in 100% of cases. But this is frankly all beside my point.

Again, my point is this; Metroid Dread has both immense pent up demand, strong reception so far, and the Switch Effect on its side, whereas I see no reason why it's price or the fact it's 2D will prevent it selling more than prior Metroids where so many other franchises have exceeded their previous records on Switch. If Pikmin and Xenoblade can do it, so can Metroid.

This will be Metroid's "Fire Emblem" moment a series in dire need of a jump to the heart and like Awakening on 3DS it has everything lining up for it on the Switch. Who knows maybe we can get Metroid 6 within the next 5 years.

Well enough for me to blame Nintendo when we don't get Metroid 6: The Search For A New Reason To Continue The Story

It's kind of hilarious and sad that some modern gamers will whine about $60 being too much for a 2D game, then spend $20 on a skin in some braindead looter shooter.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 June 2021

curl-6 said:

It's kind of hilarious and sad that some modern gamers will whine about $60 being too much for a 2D game, then spend $20 on a skin in some braindead looter shooter.

Or over 60 dollars on multiple season passes. Or 100 dollars on limited editions that only give you a steel book, some cards and a pin. Or 70 dollars on a base game because some company decided that 60 wasn't enough. Or paying again full price for a game you already had on the previous system, but for some reason the company decided that you need to pay again. 

Everyone falls or has fallen into stuff that many would consider a scam in one way or another. But suddenly Metroid can't be 60 dollars. Seriously... 

GoOnKid said:

Well I'm confused now as well, because I never spoke about revenue at all. I said Nintendo can get away with full price because the demand is very high. Revenue is calculated as units x selling price. Now when you substract the production values off the revenue you get profits, but that isn't what we were talking about.

Yes, lowering the price increases the demand, but I am trying to tell you all along that the demand is already big enough to justify the full price. And again, the pricing is a strategic decision. A full price game that gets devalued after a short period of time will lead to a better performance in the short term, but it will damage the brand in the long run because at some point the customer expects this with future games as well. This is why so many gamers are waiting for price drops nowadays: they simply got trained to do so. In the long run, this strategy damages the companies much more than what they gain in the short run.

Well, se seem to agree in every point minus the fact a 60 USD 2D Metroid can halve sales. There is absolute high demand for any game on Switch, the key point of my concern is how high is that demand. Is it enough to cross 2 million? 3 million?

I'm arguing my expectations are a bit under/a bit over 2 million, because once first/second quarter numbers are released the game sales will degrade quickly, because the pool of buyers will be already exhausted in the launch period. A price cut would then lead to bigger legs, but I don't expect them to happen, so unless in some years Nintendo release an update we will never know the cumulative sales as I don't think it will have the power to surpass 3 million, at least not before the franchise got a big jump in popularity. A Metroid Prime 4 could be that jump, but we have no idea when it's going to be released