By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metriod Dread Announced for Switch, Launches October 8th

PAOerfulone said:
mZuzek said:

If there are more 2D Metroids. Sakamoto said this is the end of Samus' saga with the Metroids, which doesn't necessarily mean the story can't continue but it kinda sounds like it. Probably means at least that this game's ending will feel like a proper end.

Just because it'll be the end of Samus' saga, that doesn't mean it has to be the end of Metroid. As crazy as it may sound, they could always make a new Metroid game with a new protagonist with their own story/saga. Not every Fire Emblem game has Marth as the main character. Just like Shulk is not the main character of every Xenoblade game. They could always go that route and expand the Metroid universe beyond Samus Aran, which could open up a plethora of possibilities for story-telling and world-building.

But Samus is the protagonist of all metroid games unlike those other series, the only one where she is not is the unholy piece of trash known as Federation Force, Nintendo hasn't been giving Metroid AND Samus the respect they deserve despite having some of the most lauded games of all time with Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, while they could center on other characters like the ones from the Metroid Prime Hunters game or the bounty hunters from Prime 3, Samus always had a perfect way to showcase in universe, moreso in some games than others, both the human perspective of things while also being very natural to the "alienish" things, she travels to places the humans of the Federation will never have a chance to survive, and that was originally the concept behind her primarily being contracted to deal with shit impossible to them like the space pirates, so i think we could have more Metroid games with Samus since Nintendo seems to like to put her on hold for very long periods of time and forget the anniversaries of her game. And while we are at it, Nintendo could make something with F-Zero, Kid Icarus, and stop resetting the heck out of Star Fox, at least they showed another Wario Ware game.



Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
mZuzek said:

If there are more 2D Metroids. Sakamoto said this is the end of Samus' saga with the Metroids, which doesn't necessarily mean the story can't continue but it kinda sounds like it. Probably means at least that this game's ending will feel like a proper end.

Just because it'll be the end of Samus' saga, that doesn't mean it has to be the end of Metroid. As crazy as it may sound, they could always make a new Metroid game with a new protagonist with their own story/saga. Not every Fire Emblem game has Marth as the main character. Just like Shulk is not the main character of every Xenoblade game. They could always go that route and expand the Metroid universe beyond Samus Aran, which could open up a plethora of possibilities for story-telling and world-building.

I'd love this. A middle-of-the-road reboot/sequel with a new protagonist would feel great in the grand scheme of things, they could probably pretend in the announcement that this is just another regular Metroid game featuring Samus Aran, only to lead to the revelation at the end that the protagonist is entirely different, and calls him or herself Samus to follow on the footsteps of the former bounty hunter. That probably suckd, I don't know how could they handle it, but a wink to Metroid 1 would be nice.

Highly doubt they'll ever go over that route, though, Samus Aran is Metroid. 



My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
PAOerfulone said:

Just because it'll be the end of Samus' saga, that doesn't mean it has to be the end of Metroid. As crazy as it may sound, they could always make a new Metroid game with a new protagonist with their own story/saga. Not every Fire Emblem game has Marth as the main character. Just like Shulk is not the main character of every Xenoblade game. They could always go that route and expand the Metroid universe beyond Samus Aran, which could open up a plethora of possibilities for story-telling and world-building.

Samus Aran is Metroid. 

Just like Fox McCloud is Star Fox 



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
Metallox said:

Samus Aran is Metroid. 

Just like Fox McCloud is Star Fox 

With the difference being that like half of the Star Fox games tell the same story over and over and the other half was born out of a game that was supposed to be a different IP.

Edit: uhh... my point with this is that there's no need for the Star Fox story to be given a conclusion anywhere in the foreseeable future as the story hasn't gone anywhere in the time the franchise's existed.



Honestly, I'd go the other way and continue with Samus's bounty hunting adventures while dumping the Metroids.

But hey, in the meantime I just hope that if they're serious about this bringing a conclusion to the Samus and the Metroids' narrative arc, that the ending is worthy of the franchise. It's a tall order dishing up a satisfying climax to such a beloved series.

Still, from what we've seen so far I'm impressed, and definitely buying day 1.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Kinda theorizing here but... maybe this game won't feature the Morph Ball?

Like, I haven't watched all the gameplay cause I don't wanna get too spoiled, but I can't recall seeing the morph ball anywhere, and new abilities like sliding and the magnetic wall thingies seem like direct replacements to stuff the morph ball could do. Heck, the thing exists in the first place because the developers of Metroid 1 found it easier to make a ball than make a crawling animation. They could have a story explanation here as Samus' suit is all kinds of fucked after Fusion, but that game had the morph ball, so... who knows. Maybe I'm just looking into it too much, but it is strange that we're yet to see the series' staple item.

Edit: never mind I'm stupid the morph ball's in the trailer

Last edited by mZuzek - on 15 June 2021

mZuzek said:

Kinda theorizing here but... maybe this game won't feature the Morph Ball?

Like, I haven't watched all the gameplay cause I don't wanna get too spoiled, but I can't recall seeing the morph ball anywhere, and new abilities like sliding and the magnetic wall thingies seem like direct replacements to stuff the morph ball could do. Heck, the thing exists in the first place because the developers of Metroid 1 found it easier to make a ball than make a crawling animation. They could have a story explanation here as Samus' suit is all kinds of fucked after Fusion, but that game had the morph ball, so... who knows. Maybe I'm just looking into it too much, but it is strange that we're yet to see the series' staple item.

Edit: never mind I'm stupid the morph ball's in the trailer

Pretty sure, it'll be there. The Threehouse host was simply spamming the slide button too much :P



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Looks great. Too bad slapping a $60 price tag on a sidescroller is gonna hold back sales drastically. Will certainly be interesting to see just how eager the Metroid fanbase is for a new Metroid given this. My guess is price tag will hold it back a lot and by the time it occasionally goes on sale we'll have MP4 and people won't bother with Dread. It'll be like Link's Awakening remake - nice launch but everyone else waits for a reasonable price which basically never happens so sales just completely die off after launch. Too bad. Probably end up getting MP4 before this game is at an appropriate price. Awesome to see a new 2D Metroid at least.



Game of E3 for me. Very excited. Shout out to Mario+Rabbids: Sparks Of Hope.



Slownenberg said:

Looks great. Too bad slapping a $60 price tag on a sidescroller is gonna hold back sales drastically. Will certainly be interesting to see just how eager the Metroid fanbase is for a new Metroid given this. My guess is price tag will hold it back a lot and by the time it occasionally goes on sale we'll have MP4 and people won't bother with Dread. It'll be like Link's Awakening remake - nice launch but everyone else waits for a reasonable price which basically never happens so sales just completely die off after launch. Too bad. Probably end up getting MP4 before this game is at an appropriate price. Awesome to see a new 2D Metroid at least.

I think it is entirely possible to make side-scrollers look just as robust as any other 60 dollar game, specifically the blockbuster ones. Except, no one has done it, although Nintendo has proven that some people absolutely don't have any problem paying 60 for Bros. U. Also, I'm not sure if the last two big Rayman games ever retailed for that amount, but they're games that I think are extremely close of being worth that sum. 



My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.