By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metriod Dread Announced for Switch, Launches October 8th

Tagged games:

mZuzek said:
Vodacixi said:

Yeah, Super Metroid is the better game overall. The only reson I'm able to play Metroid (NES) without wanting to kill myself is that savestates exist. That and knowing the general route I have to follow thanks to having played Zero Mission a thousand times.

I played it without ever using save states (except for saving in the sense of like, not having to use a password to get back into the game), and I can confirm, I wanted to kill myself.

I have it both on the original cart and I also own a NES Mini.  I've only ever played it on the cart, and boy is that rough.  I should really give it a chance with save states on the NES Mini one day, but that is not high on my gaming priority list.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Vodacixi said:

Yeah, Super Metroid is the better game overall. The only reson I'm able to play Metroid (NES) without wanting to kill myself is that savestates exist. That and knowing the general route I have to follow thanks to having played Zero Mission a thousand times.

I played it without ever using save states (except for saving in the sense of like, not having to use a password to get back into the game), and I can confirm, I wanted to kill myself.

I recall trying to beat the version inside Zero Mission (you unlock the original NES game after beating it) when I was a kid. No save states. Just those... passwords. I think I gave up around Kraid. The amount of bullshit I was experiencing was driving me mad. Playing the NES version only made me appreciate Zero Mission more xD

mZuzek said:
Vodacixi said:

I recall trying to beat the version inside Zero Mission (you unlock the original NES game after beating it) when I was a kid. No save states. Just those... passwords. I think I gave up around Kraid. The amount of bullshit I was experiencing was driving me mad. Playing the NES version only made me appreciate Zero Mission more xD

Kraid is some hot steaming bullshit, I didn't think a videogame boss could get worse than that. Until I reached Mother Brain. Ooh boy.

Homing projectiles coming at you from every angle... A tiny space to move... Your target can only be shot from a tiny hole... And if something hits you (and it will, OH IT WILL DEFINETLY WILL) you'll most likely fall into a lava pit that constantly drains your health, slows you down and sometimes will not let you get back to your tiny platform because of course: the physics on the lava are all over the place. 

Yup, that's the original Mother Brain ya'll! 10/10, best boss battle of all time xD

CaptainExplosion said:

I hope Ridley's in this. He's pretty much the most iconic villain in the whole series, and has the cruelty to back it up.

I hope not honestly. Ridley is pretty dead by now. The original Ridley died in Super Metroid, the clone died in Other M and the X Parasite copy died in Fusion. I think three dead Ridleys are enough already xD

Metallox said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

It's not. Side strollers doesn't have the same perceiving value of 3D games. Pokemon and Mario sells based on their branding mostly, when you get that you are buying to yourself a luxury product almost. Plus they are know mostly for their 2D games, it's like 2D is part of identity of both franchises so consumers feel ok paying them because it's just how the things are

Minor franchises and new entries does not enjoy such status, a 60 USD price will for sure affect potential here. 

I'm sorry, but just because they don't have it right now, doesn't mean they can't acquire it. It's as simple as that. 

Lol, ok. Just because I'm not a millionaire now doesn't mean that I can't become one next week, same logic I guess 

Around the Network

I will also say this: For the sake of the franchise, this game HAS to be the best-selling game in Metroid history; Or if nothing else, the best-selling 2D game in the franchise.

This game has absolutely everything going for it as to why it should.

- It has the hype, anticipation, and support from a very hungry fanbase. As evidenced by the high pre-orders and sold out Special Edition a day after the reveal.

- It has the quality or at the very least, it has the potential to be that upper-tier, fantastic game that is ranging in the high 80s-low 90s on all the review sites.

- It has the marketing and full support of Nintendo, to the point where they even have Samus as their profile picture on their Twitter account and they're posting tweets and notifications about the game non-stop. So it is CLEARLY a high priority for them to put this game out there.

- And last but not least, it is on the Switch. How many times have we heard, throughout these past 4 years, about a franchise that had a game release on the Switch and that game went on to become the best selling game in the franchise? 3D Mario, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Pikmin. And if they're not the best selling entry, they're getting close to it (Mario Kart, Fire Emblem) or are selling at levels the franchise has not reached in a very long time (Pokemon). Hell, even 3rd parties are getting in on the action! Monster Hunter Rise is on pace to become the best-selling 3rd party game on ANY Nintendo system EVER...

...So, why can't the same thing be true for Metroid?

As far as I'm concerned, the absolute bare minimum, the floor for Dread, should be passing Fusion. So >1.6 million. That's the floor. That's the bottom end of the spectrum it should meet. If that's all it manages to do, it would be a good accomplishment, but not nearly enough of what it should be capable of. 

This is the first brand new 2D Metroid game in 19 years and the first new game in the franchise since Other M, which was 11 years ago. And not only is it releasing on a successful system, it is releasing on what could very well become the best selling video game system of all time IN THE MIDDLE OF ITS PRIME!!!

So, as far as I'm concerned. This is it. This. Is. It. This is do-or-die. There are no more excuses. This isn't a case where it's releasing on a system that was clearly on the decline and on its way out like the 3DS with Samus Returns. Or a case where it's releasing on a system that didn't do too well or was a borderline stinker in sales like the GameCube with Prime 1 and 2. This has every single thing it could possibly have going for it to succeed. If you're a die-hard Metroid fan who wants the series to succeed, to achieve greater and higher levels of sales so that Nintendo will take it more seriously and treat it as a higher priority so that we get more games being made, you could not ask for a much better scenario than this.

If Dread or Prime 4 STILL can't do it with all that going for it, then there is just no hope for the franchise. I'm sorry. No hope and no more excuses. This is it. This is the moment of truth.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 16 June 2021

PAOerfulone said:

I will also say this: For the sake of the franchise, this game HAS to be the best-selling game in Metroid history; Or if nothing else, the best-selling 2D game in the franchise.

This game has absolutely everything going for it as to why it should.

- It has the hype, anticipation, and support from a very hungry fanbase. As evidenced by the high pre-orders and sold out Special Edition a day after the reveal.

- It has the quality or at the very least, it has the potential to be that upper-tier, fantastic game that is ranging in the high 80s-low 90s on all the review sites.

- It has the marketing and full support of Nintendo, to the point where they even have Samus as their profile picture on their Twitter account and they're posting tweets and notifications about the game non-stop. So it is CLEARLY a high priority for them to put this game out there.

- And last but not least, it is on the Switch. How many times have we heard, throughout these past 4 years, about a franchise that had a game release on the Switch and that game went on to become the best selling game in the franchise? 3D Mario, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Pikmin. And if they're not the best selling entry, they're getting close to it (Mario Kart, Fire Emblem) or are selling at levels the franchise has not reached in a very long time (Pokemon). Hell, even 3rd parties are getting in on the action! Monster Hunter Rise is on pace to become the best-selling 3rd party game on ANY Nintendo system EVER...

...So, why can't the same thing be true for Metroid?

As far as I'm concerned, the absolute bare minimum, the floor for Dread, should be passing Fusion. So >1.6 million. That's the floor. That's the bottom end of the spectrum it should meet. If that's all it manages to do, it would be a good accomplishment, but not nearly enough of what it should be capable of. 

This is the first brand new 2D Metroid game in 19 years and the first new game in the franchise since Other M, which was 11 years ago. And not only is it releasing on a successful system, it is releasing on what could very well become the best selling video game system of all time IN THE MIDDLE OF ITS PRIME!!!

So, as far as I'm concerned. This is it. This. Is. It. This is do-or-die. There are no more excuses. This isn't a case where it's releasing on a system that was clearly on the decline and on its way out like the 3DS with Samus Returns. Or a case where it's releasing on a system that didn't do too well or was a borderline stinker in sales like the GameCube with Prime 1 and 2. This has every single thing that going for it to succeed. If you're a die-hard Metroid fan who wants the series to succeed, to achieve greater and higher levels of sales so that Nintendo will take it more seriously and treat it as a higher priority so that we get more games being made, you could not ask for a much better scenario than this.

If Dread or Prime 4 STILL can't do it with all that going for it, then there is just no hope for the franchise. I'm sorry. No hope and no more excuses. This is it. This is the moment of truth.

I think it's cruel to give the fandom the responsibility of a popularity of a franchise, as far I'm concerned is responsibility of studios to keep their IPs appealing, not consumers to buy anything just because they don't want the IP to die. 

Talking about myself, if the reviews are good, I'm buying it, but if they are not, I won't. I guess this should be the standard behaviour of any customer right?

On side note, I think there are high chances for this to be the highest selling 2D Metroid, the bar is low and Metroidvanias popularity are increasing. The trailer and gameplay looks good as well, let's just hope for the best  

IcaroRibeiro said:

I think it's cruel to give the fandom the responsibility of a popularity of a franchise, as far I'm concerned is responsibility of studios to keep their IPs appealing, not consumers to buy anything just because they don't want the IP to die. 

Talking about myself, if the reviews are good, I'm buying it, but if they are not, I won't. I guess this should be the standard behaviour of any customer right?

On side note, I think there are high chances for this to be the highest selling 2D Metroid, the bar is low and Metroidvanias popularity are increasing. The trailer and gameplay looks good as well, let's just hope for the best  

It is when said fandom has been crying foul and complaining about the treatment of a franchise for decades, demanding that it be given a chance and a fair shot to succeed and to show what the franchise is capable of. 

Granted, some of it was justified given how badly Nintendo has botched the franchise at points (Other M/Federation Force.) But here we are now, we have a case where they got it right.

We've got a very promising new game that has all the elements it needs to be a big hit. This is what fans have wanted for a very long time.

Well, here it is! Here is that chance! Here is that opportunity! Time to put their money where their mouths are! This is the game they always wanted, the game they demanded for nearly 2 decades! It's finally coming! And it's got all the recipes for success! It has everything it needs to be a big hit! The studio is delivering, they're doing their job. Now the fandom has to do theirs. It's put up or shut up time!

PAOerfulone said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

It is when said fandom has been crying foul and complaining about the treatment of a franchise for decades, demanding that it be given a chance and a fair shot to succeed and to show what the franchise is capable of. 

Granted, some of it was justified given how badly Nintendo has botched the franchise at points (Other M/Federation Force.) But here we are now, we have a case where they got it right.

We've got a very promising new game that has all the elements it needs to be a big hit. This is what fans have wanted for a very long time.

Well, here it is! Here is that chance! Here is that opportunity! Time to put their money where their mouths are! This is the game they always wanted, the game they demanded for nearly 2 decades! It's finally coming! And it's got all the recipes for success! It has everything it needs to be a big hit! The studio is delivering, they're doing their job. Now the fandom has to do theirs. It's put up or shut up time!

And what if the fandom is just not big enough? It's metroid, not an A-list franchise. I doubt Metroid fanbase is more than 1 million people. The other buyers as casuals who will need some push to get the game and then be converted into fans 

How many times Sony gives their games literally for free only for the sake of increasing their IPs popularity? 

CaptainExplosion said:
Vodacixi said:

I hope not honestly. Ridley is pretty dead by now. The original Ridley died in Super Metroid, the clone died in Other M and the X Parasite copy died in Fusion. I think three dead Ridleys are enough already xD

How'd he go from organic Ridley to Meta Ridley to back again in the Prime trilogy?

Actually the Prime Series manages to explain that better than other entries, Ridely was in the original Metroid where is considered that you defeat him, but is never explained how it was revived in Super Metroid, but okay in that game it's considered that you kill him, then Prime and Fusion came out at the same time, Fusion takes the route that the idiots at the federation tried to replicate and take advantage of the bioforms Samus has fought before like in SR388, they got ahold of ridley corpse and after it is infested with x-parasites you fight a Ridely clone made by said parasites, in Prime which came at the same time but was placed in the timeline between Metroid and Metroid II it was explained that the pirates were not simply the Zebesian monsters/foot soldiers you find in 2D games starting with super metroid and reintroduced in Zero Mission and Samus returns retellings, and Other M, Prime states that the pirates are a group composed by several species of organisms that are at war with and represent a great threat to the Galactic Federation of Planets, the pirates not only have advanced technology surpassing that of the Federation, but also are genius scientists that carry out "ilegal" experimentation on living organisms including biological changes like altering their own genetic code, implementation of cybernetics, and above all are experts at cloning, a report for meta-ridley from a pirates log states:

"The reconstruction of geoform 187, code-named Ridley, was recently completed. After his defeat on Zebes, Command ordered a number of metagenetic improvements for him. Though aggressive, we were able to implement these changes in a cycle. The metamorphosis was painful, but quite successful in the end. Early tests indicate a drastic increase in strength, mobility, and offensive capability. Cybernetic modules and armor plating have been added as well.

Last edited by foxmccloud64 - on 16 June 2021