By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metriod Dread Announced for Switch, Launches October 8th

archbrix said:

Now that I've seen it during the Treehouse segment I'm liking the aesthetics a lot more. I like how seamlessly it zooms out after close-ups and the detail in the backgrounds such as creatures running around looks good. So great that we finally got this game.

If there's one thing the 3D effect did great, it was highlighting the background environments in Samus Returns. I'm confident Mercury will do once again a great job with this aspect

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Wow. It's actually Metroid Dread. Didn't think I would ever hear that name again, unless in some joke.

Anyway, looked cool if you asked me.

Way better than the Federation Force reveal from 6 years ago. I remember the rage even on this board when people figured out that the Blast Ball game played at the Nintendo World Championships was actually a Metroid game in disguise that got later revealed at E3 as Federation Force. The federation force Youtube trailer got something like 90%+ downvotes. Federation Force was the Metroid game the nobody wanted, while Dread is not quite want we want either, its a heck of a lot closer to the mark and is actually worth getting excited about. Hopefully, next E3 we get a similar reveal for Prime 4 and Dread turns out to be a pleasant appetizer for the main course.

Illusion said:

Way better than the Federation Force reveal from 6 years ago. I remember the rage even on this board when people figured out that the Blast Ball game played at the Nintendo World Championships was actually a Metroid game in disguise that got later revealed at E3 as Federation Force. The federation force Youtube trailer got something like 90%+ downvotes. Federation Force was the Metroid game the nobody wanted, while Dread is not quite want we want either, its a heck of a lot closer to the mark and is actually worth getting excited about. Hopefully, next E3 we get a similar reveal for Prime 4 and Dread turns out to be a pleasant appetizer for the main course.

Define "we" plz.

People waited for that game, baring aside two cancellations, since the DS era.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Super Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time... So a new 2.5D metroid pleases me in my loins.

Visually the game is eh. There was clipping on the armor, it's decided low-res with no AA, but those are only the close-up shots, which is the exception not the norm, so peoples criticisms on the visuals are relevant, but I think misplaced.. It's hard to scale objects to look good from a distance and then right up in front of the camera.

Either way, can't wait, Pre-order come at me.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

Super Metroid is one of my favorite games of all time... So a new 2.5D metroid pleases me in my loins.

Visually the game is eh. There was clipping on the armor, it's decided low-res with no AA, but those are only the close-up shots, which is the exception not the norm, so peoples criticisms on the visuals are relevant, but I think misplaced.. It's hard to scale objects to look good from a distance and then right up in front of the camera.

Either way, can't wait, Pre-order come at me.

Yeah, looks rough on trailers and cinematics but a lot better in the gameplay videos. A lot like Samus Returns in that sense, though obviously not being in 240p makes a sizable difference.

Mar1217 said:

Define "we" plz.

I think if Dread was announced with no information whatsoever regarding Prime 4, there would be disappointment with this reveal from most Metroid fans.  Zelda gets BotW 1+2 while Metroid gets a 2D installment only?  This would be disrespectful to Metroid fans.

What makes Dread great is the understanding that a full 3D Metroid Prime is cooking in the oven.

Illusion said:
Mar1217 said:

Define "we" plz.

I think if Dread was announced with no information whatsoever regarding Prime 4, there would be disappointment with this reveal from most Metroid fans.  Zelda gets BotW 1+2 while Metroid gets a 2D installment only?  This would be disrespectful to Metroid fans.

What makes Dread great is the understanding that a full 3D Metroid Prime is cooking in the oven.

Well, yeah. That's probably the only reason they announced Prime 4 all the way back in 2017, because they didn't want to "disappoint" fans by giving them only a sidescroller remake. Everyone wants Prime 4 as that's the obvious big title to look forward to. It's comparatively a lot harder to get excited for a game like this, which is undeniably a smaller-scale and less ambitious project. Still, that doesn't mean people didn't want it - Fusion was amazing and left everyone wanting more with its ending leaving things wide open.

So, it's been confirmed that MercurySteam is the developer behind this, just like they were for Samus Returns.

Perhaps they'll be Nintendo's new partner for 2D Metroid much like Next Level Games is for Luigi's Mansion and AlphaDream was for Mario & Luigi (until they sadly went belly-up). 

PAOerfulone said:

Perhaps they'll be Nintendo's new partner for 2D Metroid much like Next Level Games is for Luigi's Mansion and AlphaDream was for Mario & Luigi (until they sadly went belly-up). 

If there are more 2D Metroids. Sakamoto said this is the end of Samus' saga with the Metroids, which doesn't necessarily mean the story can't continue but it kinda sounds like it. Probably means at least that this game's ending will feel like a proper end.