By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metriod Dread Announced for Switch, Launches October 8th

Tagged games:

PAOerfulone said:
mZuzek said:

If there are more 2D Metroids. Sakamoto said this is the end of Samus' saga with the Metroids, which doesn't necessarily mean the story can't continue but it kinda sounds like it. Probably means at least that this game's ending will feel like a proper end.

Just because it'll be the end of Samus' saga, that doesn't mean it has to be the end of Metroid. As crazy as it may sound, they could always make a new Metroid game with a new protagonist with their own story/saga. Not every Fire Emblem game has Marth as the main character. Just like Shulk is not the main character of every Xenoblade game. They could always go that route and expand the Metroid universe beyond Samus Aran, which could open up a plethora of possibilities for story-telling and world-building.

But Samus is the protagonist of all metroid games unlike those other series, the only one where she is not is the unholy piece of trash known as Federation Force, Nintendo hasn't been giving Metroid AND Samus the respect they deserve despite having some of the most lauded games of all time with Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, while they could center on other characters like the ones from the Metroid Prime Hunters game or the bounty hunters from Prime 3, Samus always had a perfect way to showcase in universe, moreso in some games than others, both the human perspective of things while also being very natural to the "alienish" things, she travels to places the humans of the Federation will never have a chance to survive, and that was originally the concept behind her primarily being contracted to deal with shit impossible to them like the space pirates, so i think we could have more Metroid games with Samus since Nintendo seems to like to put her on hold for very long periods of time and forget the anniversaries of her game. And while we are at it, Nintendo could make something with F-Zero, Kid Icarus, and stop resetting the heck out of Star Fox, at least they showed another Wario Ware game.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
mZuzek said:

If there are more 2D Metroids. Sakamoto said this is the end of Samus' saga with the Metroids, which doesn't necessarily mean the story can't continue but it kinda sounds like it. Probably means at least that this game's ending will feel like a proper end.

Just because it'll be the end of Samus' saga, that doesn't mean it has to be the end of Metroid. As crazy as it may sound, they could always make a new Metroid game with a new protagonist with their own story/saga. Not every Fire Emblem game has Marth as the main character. Just like Shulk is not the main character of every Xenoblade game. They could always go that route and expand the Metroid universe beyond Samus Aran, which could open up a plethora of possibilities for story-telling and world-building.

I'd love this. A middle-of-the-road reboot/sequel with a new protagonist would feel great in the grand scheme of things, they could probably pretend in the announcement that this is just another regular Metroid game featuring Samus Aran, only to lead to the revelation at the end that the protagonist is entirely different, and calls him or herself Samus to follow on the footsteps of the former bounty hunter. That probably suckd, I don't know how could they handle it, but a wink to Metroid 1 would be nice.

Highly doubt they'll ever go over that route, though, Samus Aran is Metroid. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Honestly, I'd go the other way and continue with Samus's bounty hunting adventures while dumping the Metroids.

But hey, in the meantime I just hope that if they're serious about this bringing a conclusion to the Samus and the Metroids' narrative arc, that the ending is worthy of the franchise. It's a tall order dishing up a satisfying climax to such a beloved series.

Still, from what we've seen so far I'm impressed, and definitely buying day 1.

Looks great. Too bad slapping a $60 price tag on a sidescroller is gonna hold back sales drastically. Will certainly be interesting to see just how eager the Metroid fanbase is for a new Metroid given this. My guess is price tag will hold it back a lot and by the time it occasionally goes on sale we'll have MP4 and people won't bother with Dread. It'll be like Link's Awakening remake - nice launch but everyone else waits for a reasonable price which basically never happens so sales just completely die off after launch. Too bad. Probably end up getting MP4 before this game is at an appropriate price. Awesome to see a new 2D Metroid at least.

Game of E3 for me. Very excited. Shout out to Mario+Rabbids: Sparks Of Hope.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:

Looks great. Too bad slapping a $60 price tag on a sidescroller is gonna hold back sales drastically. Will certainly be interesting to see just how eager the Metroid fanbase is for a new Metroid given this. My guess is price tag will hold it back a lot and by the time it occasionally goes on sale we'll have MP4 and people won't bother with Dread. It'll be like Link's Awakening remake - nice launch but everyone else waits for a reasonable price which basically never happens so sales just completely die off after launch. Too bad. Probably end up getting MP4 before this game is at an appropriate price. Awesome to see a new 2D Metroid at least.

I think it is entirely possible to make side-scrollers look just as robust as any other 60 dollar game, specifically the blockbuster ones. Except, no one has done it, although Nintendo has proven that some people absolutely don't have any problem paying 60 for Bros. U. Also, I'm not sure if the last two big Rayman games ever retailed for that amount, but they're games that I think are extremely close of being worth that sum. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

PAOerfulone said:

So, it's been confirmed that MercurySteam is the developer behind this, just like they were for Samus Returns.

Perhaps they'll be Nintendo's new partner for 2D Metroid much like Next Level Games is for Luigi's Mansion and AlphaDream was for Mario & Luigi (until they sadly went belly-up). 

Awesome! They did a great job with Metroid Samus Returns. Looking forward to Metroid Dread! :D

Metallox said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

The only Metroid game I've really liked is the first one, but I'm willing to give this one a shot. It has potential.

Really? Have you played Super and Fusion? Those games are like the original but with icing all over them, lol

I have not played Fusion but I agree with @The_Liquid_Laser the first is better than Super (Super is not a bad game by any means).  

I am curious how this will sell; on the one hand Metroid is a pretty niche series with a history of low sales, but on the other it seems just about every first party game on Switch breaks franchise records. Honestly, I'd consider anything over 2 million a success for a Metroid title.

mZuzek said:

I'm still in shock and disbelief that there's a game, that exists, that I'll have in my library, called Metroid Dread.

It sounds like a dream. Like, a literal dream. Those weird ones where your brain just kinda mixes up a bunch of weird random knowledge and somewhere in between that mess there's a game called Metroid Dread.

Crazy times.

Same, it's freaking surreal, it's been somewhere between vaporware and a myth for what, like 15 years now? It's like if tomorrow Valve dropped a trailer for Half Life 3.