By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War & GT7 Delayed to 2022, Cross Gen For PS4/PS5

Conina said:
Norion said:

Breathe of the Wild wouldn't have worked on a system much weaker than the Switch or Wii U, its scope needed a certain level of power.

Well, it would probably have worked on a Xbox 360 or PS3 with some downgrades/compromises... their performance wasn't much worse than the WiiU's performance. Xbox 360 was 11.5 years old when Breath of the Wild released, PS3 was over 10 years old.

Biggest problem would have been the RAM (only 25% of the WiiU RAM, only 12.5% of the Switch RAM).

PS4 has 50% of the PS5-RAM, Xbox One has 80% of the Series-S-RAM... so scaling down got a lot easier.

By much weaker I was meaning gen 6 or lower level of power, the PS3 and 360 were close enough to the Wii U that it probably would've worked on them yeah. For cross-gen games this time the big issues are with the CPU and storage, having to run on systems with CPU's that weak and slow HDD's will place limits unless developers spend the extra effort to create two versions which have significant differences which I don't see happening much. I look forward to later this decade when a lot of games outright require SSD's to run properly and the advances that'll bring.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
SvennoJ said:

GT7 was already delayed back in Februari
https://www.goodwood.com/grr/race/modern/2021/2/gran-turismo-7-delayed-to-2022/

But it wouldn't surprise me if it slips to 2023. Maybe with the latest developments, ps4 version end 2022, ps5 version in 2023 smh.

I meant if it was coming to PS4 too.

There was never a chance it would be 2021.

PD and long development are always holding hands, lol.

What you really meant to say was PD and long development are always in bed having sex rather than working. 

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

What would have been Sony's best messaging for crossgen?
I think there is positive nextgen message while also being truthful about crossgen stuff.
Like "we will bring forward innovative next gen exclusives while also sharing our most popular IPs with largest audience possible"
Because they are doing more exclusive games even if not with biggest IPs for most part, which shouldn't be forgotten because of disappointment over specific titles. IMHO it's not a sin that a big IP that doesn't "need" real nextgen capability is produced for crossgen, which doesn't take away from the game or make it lesser. Top notch game experiences can be crafted that still fit within and aren't constrained by supporting lastgen scalability.

Anyways, the general story that "we believe in generations" isn't literally true per it's apparent maximalist meaning has long been known since launch, that's not really news here, and I don't even think GT/GoW are fully in the same boat in terms of expectation vs new changes.

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 03 June 2021

MS got a ton of flak for being upfront about their crossgen plans last year, looks like all along they were just being more honest and transparent.

I guess if this trend carries over to the Switch's successor, I probably won't be in any rush to get that either. I miss when new generations were exciting.

curl-6 said:

MS got a ton of flak for being upfront about their crossgen plans last year, looks like all along they were just being more honest and transparent.

I guess if this trend carries over to the Switch's successor, I probably won't be in any rush to get that either. I miss when new generations were exciting.

Plans change all the time, PR is always exaggeration. GT7 was only recently changed to go to PS4 as well, Demons Souls, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank are still only on PS5.

It's been a shit 15 months which actually had a positive effect on home entertainment, including PS4. GT Sport saw a huge uptake in players at the start of the pandemic and still has higher daily active numbers than before the pandemic. That's probably the main driving factor behind putting GT7 on Ps4 as well. There is a huge active player base that can't or won't get a ps5 yet.

When were generations actually exciting. KZ Shadowfall, Knack, Ryse of Rome and Forza 5?
BotW which was made for WiiU? (I can't even remember WiiU launch games)
Resistance Fall of Man, Ridge Racer 7, Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo (which was originally for XBox)

PS2 launch line up was phenomenal, Mario 64 alone was enough to sell the N64. Yet after that, it's always been a lukewarm start with droughts following. Unfortunately the drought will be longer this time due to Covid.

My kids won't have seen the inside of their school building for 18 months by the time they finally can go back to class in September. I miss when times were boring!

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
curl-6 said:

Plans change all the time, PR is always exaggeration. GT7 was only recently changed to go to PS4 as well, Demons Souls, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank are still only on PS5.

It's been a shit 15 months which actually had a positive effect on home entertainment, including PS4. GT Sport saw a huge uptake in players at the start of the pandemic and still has higher daily active numbers than before the pandemic. That's probably the main driving factor behind putting GT7 on Ps4 as well. There is a huge active player base that can't or won't get a ps5 yet.

When were generations actually exciting. KZ Shadowfall, Knack, Ryse of Rome and Forza 5?
BotW which was made for WiiU? (I can't even remember WiiU launch games)
Resistance Fall of Man, Ridge Racer 7, Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo (which was originally for XBox)

PS2 launch line up was phenomenal, Mario 64 alone was enough to sell the N64. Yet after that, it's always been a lukewarm start with droughts following. Unfortunately the drought will be longer this time due to Covid.

My kids won't have seen the inside of their school building for 18 months by the time they finally can go back to class in September. I miss when times were boring!

Killzone Shadowfall and Ryse were at least impressive showcases of what the new hardware was capable of graphics wise, while Resistance Fall of Man was an awesome new IP.

The first year of the 360 saw Gears of War, Oblivion, and Call of Duty 2 & 3

The Wii offered a revolutionary experience in Wii Sports and in its first year one of the best games ever made in Mario Galaxy, and another spectacular one in Metroid Prime 3.

Even the Switch got exciting exclusive experiences like Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 in its first year.

This is the least exciting a new generation has ever been for me.

curl-6 said:

I mean, considering how fast they get sold out, it seems like a lot of other people are feeling that excitement that you are missing. I guess different people find excitement in different things.

chakkra said:
curl-6 said:

I mean, considering how fast they get sold out, it seems like a lot of other people are feeling that excitement that you are missing. I guess different people find excitement in different things.

Yeah playing PS4/Xbone games in 4K definitely isn't exciting to me. I'll wait til there's exclusive experiences that actually impress me.

Yeah If we're going to make MS comparisons then we should at least remember why they got backlash. They got backlash for saying ALL Xbox titles will be cross gen for 2 years. Sonys equivalent is if Microsoft came out and specifically said Halo Infinite,Forza and Starfield will be cross gen.

PS5 launched with 2 1st party exclusives and has had another 2 since then and will have another next week in the form of Ratchet. Definitely not the same launch strategies. If Sony had the same policy GOTY Ratchet and Clank wouldnt exist :p

Even MS will have Flight Sim so their statement was misplaced and shouldn't have been made at all.

But Sony have rightfully received backlash for lack of transparency with both Horizon/God of War.

Last edited by Otter - on 04 June 2021

Kyuu said:

I think people are getting too excited with the transparent-Microsoft vs lying-Sony rhetoric. Microsoft have made a few misleading comments and lies of their own during the period leading to launch. Sony believing in generations is still technically true, it's just a shame that it doesn't seem to apply to their very biggest early titles. Equating that to what MS is doing is disingenuous. This is true as is, but it can more true if the differences between PS4 and PS5 versions are more pronounced than typical (which I bet they are in the case of Horizon 2).

Ironically enough, despite Sony being misleading about cross gen, anything that resembles a next generation experience is still only found on the PS5. Whether it be a SSD showcase, graphical benchmark with all the bells and whistles, innovative controls with the Dualsense adaptive triggers, a push for immersion with 3D audio & haptic feedback, the PS5 is leading the way.