By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War & GT7 Delayed to 2022, Cross Gen For PS4/PS5

chakkra said:

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with games being cross-gen. I do not believe that games can be held back by weaker hardware aside from the graphics department nor do I believe that games will automatically be better, more creative, and more innovative just because devs have more power available. We have a whole history there to tell us that that has never been the case, I mean if having more power available did automatically make games "more creative and innovative" then the PS4/XOne library would be full of games better than the Switch one's, from a creative perspective.

With all that being said, the issue here is that Sony was the only one that was not upfront about this.

I agree with games not being more creative/innovative just because developers have more power at their disposal, but with a much more powerful CPU, & the SSD becoming standard, level/game design can be taken to another level. There's just no way to get around that gap if you're making a cross gen game. 

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

It is, 16GB ram is woeful to spend the next 10 years with. GPUs are up to 12GB ram already, actually 24GB on the 3090.

Consoles have been out 6 months, oh no, no full library of next gen games yet, must be a 10 year plan. funny!

I can't really blame some people for being upset about this news lol. Although, a 10 year plan makes a lot more sense with the PS5, not only because its "future proof," but to see if the cloud will actually threaten the console business model. 

Another thing to note that got buried in this bad news, is Asobi Team officially branching off of Japan Studio, new logo and everything. As far as I'm aware, Japan Studio is still around but significantly downsized.

Agente42 said:
eva01beserk said:

I dont think that what it means by new free-climb system. They would of said new free-climb anything if it where like BoTW. Honestly that would not look as good of realistic looking games. 

a good physical system arebad for realistic-looking games?

More systemic games are bad for realistic-looking games?

Does a realist-looking game have metal mechs and arrow piercing tick metal?

What do you mean with your first question? Really makes no sense. But climbing anything with your bare hands for a regular human does look unrealistic. If I saw a more cartoony character, or a character with super powers it would break immersion a lot less.

Your second question also doesn't make sense. If you are referring to anything else than thats on you. I was specifically talking about the climb anything mechanic from BoTW.

Third question. Yes. Its called horizon zero dawn. And if you haven't heard the sequel is coming called horizon forbiden west. Those are realistic looking games with giant animal mechs. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

I've seen people across various places mention the PS4's big install base as a reason for this but that isn't a good argument since sales of these two games will be absolutely dwarfed by the PS5 versions. A lot of people have already moved on or are wanting to move on from the last gen consoles and by 2022 the amount of people willing to buy games on those consoles will be far smaller than the number on the new ones. It's similar to how people defended the late 3DS games due to the supposed bigger install base but in the end only some of the ones released in 2017 sold over a million and the ones released in 2018-2019 overall didn't do that well and at least a couple outright flopped. It's not as bad as that situation at least though since games aren't being made exclusive to the old consoles longer than they should be.

chakkra said:

Hynad said:

There. No reason to single them out as if they were the only one among the big 3 to be known for that. It’s a pretty much industry-spread thing, and they shouldn’t be called out over it if a free pass is given to the others, or you simply close your eyes when the others do it.

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with games being cross-gen. I do not believe that games can be held back by weaker hardware aside from the graphics department nor do I believe that games will automatically be better, more creative, and more innovative just because devs have more power available. We have a whole history there to tell us that that has never been the case, I mean if having more power available did automatically make games "more creative and innovative" then the PS4/XOne library would be full of games better than the Switch one's, from a creative perspective.

With all that being said, the issue here is that Sony was the only one that was not upfront about this.

The degree to which games get held back by weaker hardware can be debated but it is a fact that they get held back. Super Mario 64 wouldn't have worked on the SNES, 3d console games in the 90's needed better hardware than the 16 bit systems offered. For a more modern case Breathe of the Wild wouldn't have worked on a system much weaker than the Switch or Wii U, its scope needed a certain level of power. You're right that more power doesn't automatically lead to better, more creative or innovative games but for devs who want to create games like that more power helps a ton.

Around the Network

Shiken said

GT7 being delayed so far despite being announced less than a year from the delay kind of proves my point.  You are only highlighting how obvious it should have been that it was no where near being ready for the window Sony implied.  Same applies to God of War, the game was revealed less than a year before being delayed.  They knew it would not be ready, but gave it the 2021 window to drive hype for the PS5 launch.  This also coincides with the fact that gen 8 versions for these games were also withheld and later revealed at the same time as the "delay" became official.

Halo is another story, and kind of a bad example.  They actually had gameplay footage to reveal, but due to fan backlash at how it looked it was delayed at least a year to deliver a better project.  This was also done BEFORE the Series X was announced, where as Sony waited half a year after the release of the PS5 to confirm their "delays".

These are not games that were announced years ago and got pushed back for polish.  These are games that were announced right before the PS5 launched under the impression that they were PS5 exclusive, with a release window of a year or less from the launch of the PS5, with no gameplay footage what so ever, and then conveniently delayed six months after the PS5 launched while also having PS4 versions.  The problem is not how close they were to launch, don't get it twisted.  The problem is how close they were revealed compared to the launch window, yet still delayed into the next year at best.  There are more factors going into this than "delays happen".

If you honestly believe Sony did not know that 2021 was a pipe dream for GT7 and GoW:R, then I don't know what else to tell you.  In any case, your previous post helped highlight what I was getting at, so thanks for that.

let us not forget GT7 also got gameplay reveal last summer the same time Halo got its gameplay reveal. Also Halo is not a bad example, its exactly what happens internally when games get delayed. People see it and say this isn't good enough, MS probably didn't do this initially because the pressure to have a strong launch title.

Pretty much everyone and their dog could have anticipated GT7 being delayed, but this is more to do with the history of the developer than it is to do with the PS5 reveal. GT Sport was delayed by about a year and there was no new console to blame that on. Delays happen at such common frequencies that it is just one of those things. Almost all sonys major exclusives were delayed last generation by about 6months and I hope they learn and the take the approach they're takling with Horizon where they're up front that its just a loose target and they're not willing to open up pre-orders etc. 

So aanticipating these delays is one thing, but:

1) Insisting the teams knew they could never meet their deadline if they're now delaying a summer 2021, into a 2022 is a different thing and does not reflect the reality of development. 6-12months is often not the difference between having a game or not having no game, its the difference between the polish you typically see with major 1st party exclusives versus buggy multiplatform titles that are rushed out a bit too quick (ala Assassins Creeds Valhalla). This delay period happens all the time. Watch Dog legions was delayed by 9months, Kena was delayed by 8 months, Arkham Knights has been delayed by a year, lets not even talk about Psychonauts 2 which was originally scheduled to come out in 2019 lol...

2) Insisting devs would automatically know the exact impact covid would have on release targets 12-18months in advance is also not a good take.

What I will agree on though, is that sony wouldn't have shown the God of War teaser if it wasn't for the PS5 showcase. Internally though, I do believe 2021 was a legit target, its a direct sequel versus a game built from scratch, so its going to have a shorter dev cycle. And again sources far more informed than us have suggested it was only delayed at the beginning of this year.

But we can agree to disagree on the matter and we're likely to see more of each game in the coming month.

Well I have no plans to buy a PS5 anytime soon so awesome news for me!

Norion said:

Breathe of the Wild wouldn't have worked on a system much weaker than the Switch or Wii U, its scope needed a certain level of power.

Well, it would probably have worked on a Xbox 360 or PS3 with some downgrades/compromises... their performance wasn't much worse than the WiiU's performance. Xbox 360 was 11.5 years old when Breath of the Wild released, PS3 was over 10 years old.

Biggest problem would have been the RAM (only 25% of the WiiU RAM, only 12.5% of the Switch RAM).

PS4 has 50% of the PS5-RAM, Xbox One has 80% of the Series-S-RAM... so scaling down got a lot easier.

PotentHerbs said:
SvennoJ said:

It is, 16GB ram is woeful to spend the next 10 years with. GPUs are up to 12GB ram already, actually 24GB on the 3090.

Consoles have been out 6 months, oh no, no full library of next gen games yet, must be a 10 year plan. funny!

I can't really blame some people for being upset about this news lol. Although, a 10 year plan makes a lot more sense with the PS5, not only because its "future proof," but to see if the cloud will actually threaten the console business model. 

It's not news though, we've been on a 10 year support plan since forever.

PS2 came out 2000, last PS2 game came out in 2014 (Pro evolution soccer 2014)
PS3 came out 2006, GT6 came out 2013, CoD Black ops 2015, FIFA 2018, the last PS3 game came out in 2020 (Shakedown: Hawaii)
PS4 came out 2013, so if history repeats itself it's good until at least 2025
PS5 came out 2020, good until 2032?

The difference is Sony releasing games up to 2 years after their new system is out, 9 year 1st party support. Maybe that's not new either, I haven't looked through the whole list of ps3 games (2278 total)

Anyway RAM is yet again going to hold games back. PS3 was hampered by lack to RAM, ps4 by a weak CPU, ps5 back to lack of RAM. Games will still be amazing, but the amount of RAM will dictate what kind of games will look amazing. Mostly those that use lots of static assets that can be easily streamed. More dynamic / destructible worlds will be limited.

chakkra said:
Hynad said:

There. No reason to single them out as if they were the only one among the big 3 to be known for that. It’s a pretty much industry-spread thing, and they shouldn’t be called out over it if a free pass is given to the others, or you simply close your eyes when the others do it.

Agreed.

Sony waits to launch the PS5 to tell the three years of cross-gen realm.