By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War & GT7 Delayed to 2022, Cross Gen For PS4/PS5

Agente42 said:
Otter said:

good, more close to BoTW, better.

climb, yes....

I dont think that what it means by new free-climb system. They would of said new free-climb anything if it where like BoTW. Honestly that would not look as good of realistic looking games. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Shiken said:
Otter said:

If you have been following the industry the past decade, you would know that when games get delayed that close to launch more often than not it is only a few months at most.  We were not even given a window of when GoW and GT7 might arrive, nor do we even know how far Horizon will be pushed back if it doesn't hit this year either.  If it is later than Q1 2022, it is obvious the game has been further off than what people were lead to believe (though I honestly believe this one is closer to being done).  In the case of GoW and GT7, it is without question the games were not even close to being ready for 2021, or we would at least have been given a quarter window at the time the delay was revealed.

Sony knows a lot more about what is going on within development of their games than you are giving them credit for.  But I suppose it would be easier to just take their word at face value and accept whatever they say to be the case.

A game targeting a holiday and being delayed by 6months is absolutely normal. Everything from 1month delays to 1 year delays happen, a big part of that gap can be determined by how much polish a developer does or doesn't want to add. How many bugs they're dealing with which is entirely separate from finished content. Game development is not linear. Also how much pressure is on them from the publisher side etc. In the case of Halo Infinite which was delayed 3 months before release, they said the game was more or less content ready in October 2020. 

https://www.altchar.com/game-news/halo-infinites-content-is-more-or-less-finished-devs-focusing-on-technical-aspects-now-avxWK0H7G8v3

GT7 had a window of 1st half of 2021

https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/11/09/gran-turismo-7-ratchet-clank-horizon-forbdden-west-release-date-2021/

Plenty of games are not given a speific Q4 window prior to their major reveal and that simply implies they'll be arriving later in the target year rather than sooner. Several insiders have eluded to GOW being internally delayed earlier this year (the first report was in march) and that is why Sony stopped mentioning it in press releases. 

Also game development is not linear, so don't mistake a delay to mean they're behind on creating content/assets. An example of this is a late decision to change aspect ratio in Red Dead Redemption 2 causing delays and 1000s of man hours to be put into re-adapting all of the cutscenes.

Last edited by Otter - on 03 June 2021

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1400449115083874315?s=20

Otter said:
Shiken said:

If you have been following the industry the past decade, you would know that when games get delayed that close to launch more often than not it is only a few months at most.  We were not even given a window of when GoW and GT7 might arrive, nor do we even know how far Horizon will be pushed back if it doesn't hit this year either.  If it is later than Q1 2022, it is obvious the game has been further off than what people were lead to believe (though I honestly believe this one is closer to being done).  In the case of GoW and GT7, it is without question the games were not even close to being ready for 2021, or we would at least have been given a quarter window at the time the delay was revealed.

Sony knows a lot more about what is going on within development of their games than you are giving them credit for.  But I suppose it would be easier to just take their word at face value and accept whatever they say to be the case.

A game targeting a holiday and being delayed by 6months is absolutely normal. Everything from 1month delays to 1 year delays happen, a big part of that gap can be determined by how much polish a developer does or doesn't want to add. How many bugs they're dealing with which is entirely separate from finished content, how much pressure is on them from the publisher side etc. In the case of Halo Infinite which was delayed 3 months before release, they said the game was more or less content ready in October 2020. 

https://www.altchar.com/game-news/halo-infinites-content-is-more-or-less-finished-devs-focusing-on-technical-aspects-now-avxWK0H7G8v3

GT7 had a window of 1st half of 2021

https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/11/09/gran-turismo-7-ratchet-clank-horizon-forbdden-west-release-date-2021/

Plenty of games are not given a speific Q4 window prior to their major reveal and that simply implies they'll be arriving later in the target year rather than sooner. Several insiders have eluded to GOW being internally delayed earlier this year (the first report was in march) and that is why Sony stopped mentioning it in press releases. 

GT7 being delayed so far despite being announced less than a year from the delay kind of proves my point.  You are only highlighting how obvious it should have been that it was no where near being ready for the window Sony implied.  Same applies to God of War, the game was revealed less than a year before being delayed.  They knew it would not be ready, but gave it the 2021 window to drive hype for the PS5 launch.  This also coincides with the fact that gen 8 versions for these games were also withheld and later revealed at the same time as the "delay" became official.

Halo is another story, and kind of a bad example.  They actually had gameplay footage to reveal, but due to fan backlash at how it looked it was delayed at least a year to deliver a better project.  This was also done BEFORE the Series X was announced, where as Sony waited half a year after the release of the PS5 to confirm their "delays".

These are not games that were announced years ago and got pushed back for polish.  These are games that were announced right before the PS5 launched under the impression that they were PS5 exclusive, with a release window of a year or less from the launch of the PS5, with no gameplay footage what so ever, and then conveniently delayed six months after the PS5 launched while also having PS4 versions.  The problem is not how close they were to launch, don't get it twisted.  The problem is how close they were revealed compared to the launch window, yet still delayed into the next year at best.  There are more factors going into this than "delays happen".

If you honestly believe Sony did not know that 2021 was a pipe dream for GT7 and GoW:R, then I don't know what else to tell you.  In any case, your previous post helped highlight what I was getting at, so thanks for that.

Last edited by Shiken - on 03 June 2021

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

As expected, Sony's and Microsoft's first party strategies of the first 1.5 - 2 years of the new generation aren't that different.

Main difference is that Microsoft was more honest about it.

I don't blame them for the crossgen focus in the first two years, since developing "true next gen games built from ground up to take full advantage of the new hardware" takes TIME.

The expectations of some people that Sony will make a clean cut after TLOU2 + Ghosts of Tsushima and mainly release "true next gen games" after that (and many of them in the first PS5 year) and "move away from PS4 in a fast transition" was a pipe dream from the beginning. 

Last edited by Conina - on 03 June 2021

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
Agente42 said:

good, more close to BoTW, better.

climb, yes....

I dont think that what it means by new free-climb system. They would of said new free-climb anything if it where like BoTW. Honestly that would not look as good of realistic looking games. 

a good physical system arebad for realistic-looking games?

More systemic games are bad for realistic-looking games?

Does a realist-looking game have metal mechs and arrow piercing tick metal?

It looks like Sony is committing to their "10 year plan," but I do wonder if it means we're getting a slightly longer generation. The hardware itself isn't outdated like the PS4/Xbox One at launch.

Hynad said:
Mar1217 said:

Knowing Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo’s history of announcing too many of their games early, this isn't surprising anyone. Most of it is PR tactics to ensure early adopters feel justified in their purchase. I'm sad for the fans having to withhold themselves longer.

There. No reason to single them out as if they were the only one among the big 3 to be known for that. It’s a pretty much industry-spread thing, and they shouldn’t be called out over it if a free pass is given to the others, or you simply close your eyes when the others do it.

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with games being cross-gen. I do not believe that games can be held back by weaker hardware aside from the graphics department nor do I believe that games will automatically be better, more creative, and more innovative just because devs have more power available. We have a whole history there to tell us that that has never been the case, I mean if having more power available did automatically make games "more creative and innovative" then the PS4/XOne library would be full of games better than the Switch one's, from a creative perspective.

With all that being said, the issue here is that Sony was the only one that was not upfront about this.

BraLoD said:

I meant if it was coming to PS4 too.

There was never a chance it would be 2021.

PD and long development are always holding hands, lol.

Yep, PD hasn't released anything without multiple delays in the past decade(s). It's so expected, there isn't even any mention of this latest announcement on GTPlanet. I just hope the ps4 focus won't delay GT7 any further, as I assume the focus will now shift to get the ps4 version out first.

Not sure what can take so long though, the tracks, cars, engine, it's all there. It just needs a decent campaign and call it GT7 lol. They must have more new cars and tracks ready by now, the last track added to GT Sport was December 2019, while they were adding a track every other month.

It's PD though, Kaz is probably too busy fine tuning the paint colors and filaments inside the light bulbs.

Entertaining thread anyway. Same as every generational change. I doubt God of War will be held back by a ps4 version. If it's held back it's due to Covid and more importantly, not being up to speed yet with ps5 dev tools. Yet just as Horizon it will have ps5 only features.

Eight more days until Ratchet & Clank! ??? more days until I can find a ps5 in the shop :/ I just added Star Wars Squadrons to my library (PSVR), VF5 and Operation Tango from ps+. Plenty to play still on ps4 and already have plenty to play on ps5 when I find one. Returnal is waiting on my shelf.

FS2020 is still keeping me busy and Skyward Sword for Switch might be worth a double dip to play without infernal motion controls.

Maybe one day gamers will learn:
1. Marketing PR is always lies, twisted truths, obfuscation, spreading fud, all meant to trigger a reaction
2. Never pre-order games, see rule 1
3. First year in a new gen always means a drought of games and games not utilizing the new hardware to full effect

I'm amazed Ratchet and Clank is actually already using the SSD to the extent they have shown so early in the gen. It's the exception.

PotentHerbs said:

It looks like Sony is committing to their "10 year plan," but I do wonder if it means we're getting a slightly longer generation. The hardware itself isn't outdated like the PS4/Xbox One at launch.

It is, 16GB ram is woeful to spend the next 10 years with. GPUs are up to 12GB ram already, actually 24GB on the 3090.

Consoles have been out 6 months, oh no, no full library of next gen games yet, must be a 10 year plan. funny!