By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War & GT7 Delayed to 2022, Cross Gen For PS4/PS5

VideoGameAccountant said:
Signalstar said:

Ouch. To the delay and the cross gen announcement. Why is Sony releasing major games on a 9 year old console?

The answer should be pretty obvious: the system isn't doing as well as reports make it seem. Keep in mind GoW isn't coming till 2022 so the semiconductor shortage may be solved by that point or very close to it. Same with the scalper issue. First party titles are designed to sell the system, so having it on a last gen system tell us the longevity of the PS5 is in question. Most likely, internal data shows that the PS5 isn't doing well with consumers and it's strong sales are driven by scalpers and, once that calms down, the system will struggle. 

Remember, Sony wants people to move from their PS4 to the PS5. Doing something like this is counter productive. It leads me to believe the PS5 may be in serious trouble. 

This is wrong on many levels. Spiderman alone has demonstrated that's sonys audience is quickly abandoning PS4 in favour of ps5. Miles Morales is selling 80% of its units on PS5 in the UK, so its clear PS4 users are waiting to upgrade before buying the game. They're also buying PS5s in high enough quantities to push the game to No.1 6months after its release. In this sense its proven that games can be cross gen and system sellers.

The cross gen nature of Horizon/GOW/GT7 is likely derived from the fact that they began development as PS4 games and were all intended for year 1 of PS5s life.

Based on Ratchet/Returnals/Deathloop/Demon Souls etc being exclusive, it could be that sony are leaving it up to developers and asking them what makes sense.

Around the Network

The wait for truly impressive next gen games seems to be taking forever with these new consoles, and being held back by 2013 hardware, especially CPUs that were weak even for 8 years ago really isn't helping.

I'm finding it almost impossible to muster any excitement for PS5 or Xbox Series at this rate.

I'm no graphics stickler, I quite happily play on Switch, but if I'm going to drop hundreds of dollars on new hardware, I want to at least have mind-blowing experiences I can't get elsewhere.

curl-6 said:

The wait for truly impressive next gen games seems to be taking forever with these new consoles, and being held back by 2013 hardware, especially CPUs that were weak even for 8 years ago really isn't helping.

I'm finding it almost impossible to muster any excitement for PS5 or Xbox Series at this rate.

I'm no graphics stickler, I quite happily play on Switch, but if I'm going to drop hundreds of dollars on new hardware, I want to at least have mind-blowing experiences I can't get elsewhere.

In spite of it being cross gen Horizon 2 legit looks like CGI. Easily the best looking game I've ever seen. I'm sure GOW will be the same. 

Last edited by Otter - on 03 June 2021

mutantsushi said:

Right, but the whole point of that bullshit discussion strategy is not critiquing or counterproving objective facts, it's inventing some vague strawman position that  they can allege isn't playing out as it was supposed to. I don't know who is supposed to be supporting this phantom opinion, but we are supposed to ignore that and just "feel" that he has disproved it, which is what bullshit statements like "Most likely, internal data shows" aim to insinuate... Which is just farcical when you pay attention to it ("ooh, he said data so it's solid objective reality, nevermind it's just his baseless supposition..."). The entire scalper line is just absurd, like what is his actual claim? That scalpers are sitting on several million PS5 which they haven't moved? Sorry, nobody would get in the scalping business if that were true, obviously the vast majority of scalped consoles have already been sold on to gamers who willingly paid the extra price. Scalping probably never took more than a weeks worth of consoles out of circulation, that just  happens to b something with impact when the total supply/demand is constrained. Even his conclusion ("PS5 may be in serious trouble") is a joke, it's both already hedged as "may be" yet isn't even an objective falsifiable statistic in the first place, it's just some ungrounded meaningless sentiment.

And in reality everybody I see seriously discussing the topic is referencing public sales figures, which are certainly not fabricated because that would be a crime for no real benefit. The reasonable position could be acknowledging that the whole "we believe in generations" hype was just that, but that's not a change from lastgen or since modern gaming era where crossgen was normalized for early years.

You can't have an honest discussion with some posters on here who will argue in bad faith. Its worse with bad news since hot takes will be dialed up another notch lol. Just go back and look at the thread about the Jason Schreier article. A bunch of users ended up jumping the gun without reading the entire article. Even in this thread, some are trying to get a "gotcha" moment for Playstation fans, when the majority of us haven't switched our stance on cross generation development despite Sony misleading us. 

Agente42 said:

The answer should be pretty obvious: the system isn't doing as well as reports make it seem. Keep in mind GoW isn't coming till 2022 so the semiconductor shortage may be solved by that point or very close to it. Same with the scalper issue. First party titles are designed to sell the system, so having it on a last gen system tell us the longevity of the PS5 is in question. Most likely, internal data shows that the PS5 isn't doing well with consumers and it's strong sales are driven by scalpers and, once that calms down, the system will struggle. 

Remember, Sony wants people to move from their PS4 to the PS5. Doing something like this is counter productive. It leads me to believe the PS5 may be in serious trouble. 

In Japan and East Asia, agree with you. On the software side

UK and Spain Ps5 have excellent initial sales.

US has a good too, but the Switch is far stronger now and the Xbox has a good performance there too. 

I believe have another problem: the AAA productions maybe it's not sustentanble without MTX and other transactions. And the fast depreciation of the sony/microsoft price games ( good for the consumer, bad for the used market and the soft house) maybe makes the situation worse.

The whole cycle, games launch, two months later go down ( in 20-30 $ realm), and four or five months go to Psn/Live.

PotentHerbs said:

That's not true at all unless you think Sony is lying in their financial reports/interviews. Not only is the PS5 trending ahead of the PS4, but Sony has reported software sales are 11% higher on PS5 than PS4, in a similar time frame.

Just to clarify what I'm saying. I'm not saying the numbers Sony releases are wrong. I'm saying Sony likely has information that makes the PS5 look bad. The information we get from any of these games companies is pretty limited. Also, the industry tend to over report positive Sony news or spin the rest (i.e. using dollar volume rather than actual sales or any reporting on Death Standing's sales). 

But actions speak louder than words. Consider this: what benefit does keeping the GoW sequel, which was one of the best rated and selling first party games of the PS4, on the PS4. It wont get people to buy a PS5. Heck, it just encourages them to avoid it as their PS4 plays all the new games anyway. Not to mention the PS4 version is cheaper too. And what about third parties? Are they going to want to make next gen games when Sony isn't committed to the system. 

Taking a game that was exclusive to the system and then making it cross-gen does not signal the PS5 is doing well. Again, this isn't to say it's not selling well. It is. But then we have to ask the question, why are they doing this. That is what I think people should be taking away from the announcement. My guess is that they don't foresee good sales once supply is taken care of. 

mutantsushi said:
PotentHerbs said:

That's not true at all unless you think Sony is lying in their financial reports/interviews. Not only is the PS5 trending ahead of the PS4, but Sony has reported software sales are 11% higher on PS5 than PS4, in a similar time frame.

Right, but the whole point of that bullshit discussion strategy is not critiquing or counterproving objective facts, it's inventing some vague strawman position that  they can allege isn't playing out as it was supposed to. I don't know who is supposed to be supporting this phantom opinion, but we are supposed to ignore that and just "feel" that he has disproved it, which is what bullshit statements like "Most likely, internal data shows" aim to insinuate... Which is just farcical when you pay attention to it ("ooh, he said data so it's solid objective reality, nevermind it's just his baseless supposition..."). The entire scalper line is just absurd, like what is his actual claim? That scalpers are sitting on several million PS5 which they haven't moved? Sorry, nobody would get in the scalping business if that were true, obviously the vast majority of scalped consoles have already been sold on to gamers who willingly paid the extra price. Scalping probably never took more than a weeks worth of consoles out of circulation, that just  happens to b something with impact when the total supply/demand is constrained. Even his conclusion ("PS5 may be in serious trouble") is a joke, it's both already hedged as "may be" yet isn't even an objective falsifiable statistic in the first place, it's just some ungrounded meaningless sentiment.

And in reality everybody I see seriously discussing the topic is referencing public sales figures, which are certainly not fabricated because that would be a crime for no real benefit. The reasonable position could be acknowledging that the whole "we believe in generations" hype was just that, but that's not a change from lastgen or since modern gaming era where crossgen was normalized for early years.

I think it should be pretty obvious what my claim it, but your too busy writing a narrative in your head, so it clearly went over it.

As I mentioned above, the only data we have is what is given to us, and truthfully, it's very little. When I talk about internal data, I'm talking about all the data Sony has collected about their system. So when I see Sony is taking an already exclusive game, delaying it and making it cross-gen, my thought it "OK, there is something they know that we don't know." The reason I use words like "may" is I nor you can know for certain. 

On the point about cross gen, I think people are getting this wrong. Yes, Microsoft is investing a lot in cross gen, but look at their positions. XBox One did very poorly, being completely outsold by the PS4 and selling significant less than both Gen 7 consoles. It was bad enough for Microsoft to stop releasing hardware sales. So there aren't a lot of XBox One users, so when Microsoft emphasizes cross gen, they have very little risk. At worst, they may buy an XBox One, but they'll likely end of getting the new system to play those games. Switch is the same way. Breath of the Wild was on the Wii U too (also because Nintendo promised it would), but so few Wii Us were actual sold. If people want to get BoTW, they'd probably just get a Switch. This is exactly what happened as Switch sales exceeded the Wii U version (and the Switch itself). However, this is not the case for the PS4 to PS5. The PS4 sold over 100 million units. So you have far more people who can just get GoW and GT on the PS4 and just ignore the PS5. They don't have to go out and buy a new system. It's low risk for Microsoft to promote cross gen. It's high risk for Sony to promote cross gen.

And let me clarify, this is not a GOOD thing; it's a BAD thing. It's bad that Sony is taking a previously exclusive game and making it cross-gen. If the system was as strong as you want to believe, then there is no reason to do this. It would have sold well on PS5 and help keep momentum. Despite this, they are bringing it to the PS4, and the question folks should be asking (and you want to avoid) is why.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Around the Network
twintail said:

The question on Sony's mind is going to be how viable this is in the long term. Yes, evergreen sales are possible, but Sony also don't want to wait that long to recoup their ROI. It's clear that Sony believes that PS5 shortages are potentially going to continue moving through 2022, which inherently inhibits the sales potential of these games. 

This isn't just about Sony as a company being affected. It's about their studios being affected, and the employees being affected, too.

And this has other added benefits. Larger PS4 userbase can buy into the games, which inevitably keeps them tied into the ecosystem. 

IIRC, Sony has stated in their IR report that in 2022 they expect the PS5 to be the highest selling Playstation in a single fiscal year (23 Million+). 

Agente42 said:

In Japan and East Asia, agree with you. On the software side

UK and Spain Ps5 have excellent initial sales.

US has a good too, but the Switch is far stronger now and the Xbox has a good performance there too. 

I believe have another problem: the AAA productions maybe it's not sustentanble without MTX and other transactions. And the fast depreciation of the sony/microsoft price games ( good for the consumer, bad for the used market and the soft house) maybe makes the situation worse.

The whole cycle, games launch, two months later go down ( in 20-30 $ realm), and four or five months go to Psn/Live.

PotentHerbs said:

Just to clarify what I'm saying. I'm not saying the numbers Sony releases are wrong. I'm saying Sony likely has information that makes the PS5 look bad. The information we get from any of these games companies is pretty limited. Also, the industry tend to over report positive Sony news or spin the rest (i.e. using dollar volume rather than actual sales or any reporting on Death Standing's sales). 

But actions speak louder than words. Consider this: what benefit does keeping the GoW sequel, which was one of the best rated and selling first party games of the PS4, on the PS4. It wont get people to buy a PS5. Heck, it just encourages them to avoid it as their PS4 plays all the new games anyway. Not to mention the PS4 version is cheaper too. And what about third parties? Are they going to want to make next gen games when Sony isn't committed to the system. 

Taking a game that was exclusive to the system and then making it cross-gen does not signal the PS5 is doing well. Again, this isn't to say it's not selling well. It is. But then we have to ask the question, why are they doing this. That is what I think people should be taking away from the announcement. My guess is that they don't foresee good sales once supply is taken care of. 

mutantsushi said:

I think it should be pretty obvious what my claim it, but your too busy writing a narrative in your head, so it clearly went over it.

As I mentioned above, the only data we have is what is given to us, and truthfully, it's very little. When I talk about internal data, I'm talking about all the data Sony has collected about their system. So when I see Sony is taking an already exclusive game, delaying it and making it cross-gen, my thought it "OK, there is something they know that we don't know." The reason I use words like "may" is I nor you can know for certain. 

On the point about cross gen, I think people are getting this wrong. Yes, Microsoft is investing a lot in cross gen, but look at their positions. XBox One did very poorly, being completely outsold by the PS4 and selling significant less than both Gen 7 consoles. It was bad enough for Microsoft to stop releasing hardware sales. So there aren't a lot of XBox One users, so when Microsoft emphasizes cross gen, they have very little risk. At worst, they may buy an XBox One, but they'll likely end of getting the new system to play those games. Switch is the same way. Breath of the Wild was on the Wii U too (also because Nintendo promised it would), but so few Wii Us were actual sold. If people want to get BoTW, they'd probably just get a Switch. This is exactly what happened as Switch sales exceeded the Wii U version (and the Switch itself). However, this is not the case for the PS4 to PS5. The PS4 sold over 100 million units. So you have far more people who can just get GoW and GT on the PS4 and just ignore the PS5. They don't have to go out and buy a new system. It's low risk for Microsoft to promote cross gen. It's high risk for Sony to promote cross gen.

And let me clarify, this is not a GOOD thing; it's a BAD thing. It's bad that Sony is taking a previously exclusive game and making it cross-gen. If the system was as strong as you want to believe, then there is no reason to do this. It would have sold well on PS5 and help keep momentum. Despite this, they are bringing it to the PS4, and the question folks should be asking (and you want to avoid) is why.

That's a great situational analysis, yeah some variables are unknown, but like you say "actions speak louder than words", all this is very weird, there must be some things they are not telling us.

34 years playing games.

PotentHerbs said:
twintail said:

The question on Sony's mind is going to be how viable this is in the long term. Yes, evergreen sales are possible, but Sony also don't want to wait that long to recoup their ROI. It's clear that Sony believes that PS5 shortages are potentially going to continue moving through 2022, which inherently inhibits the sales potential of these games. 

This isn't just about Sony as a company being affected. It's about their studios being affected, and the employees being affected, too.

And this has other added benefits. Larger PS4 userbase can buy into the games, which inevitably keeps them tied into the ecosystem. 

IIRC, Sony has stated in their IR report that in 2022 they expect the PS5 to be the highest selling Playstation in a single fiscal year (23 Million+). 

To quote your lines "Sony straight up lying with "we believe in generations" and its a shame. Out of all their PR blunders, this one is the worst." so you know they willing to lie you every time they need to, so why  are you so sure  they are not lying again Potentherbs?

34 years playing games.

It could simply be that Sony thinks the ROI for God of War, one of their biggest IP's, would be better on PS4/PS5 than it would be on just the PS5. Or as others have said development could have started on the PS4 and shifted towards the PS5 midway through. 

A lot of factors show the PS5 is doing much better than the PS4: the pace of PS5 sales with a higher price tag combined with a global pandemic and semiconductor shortages, increased player time, higher software sales, more subscription revenue, higher digital split, making profit instead of taking losses in a console launch, etc. From what we know, and what is publicly available, God of War being cross gen because the PS5 is performing poorly just doesn't add up. 

Teriol said:

To quote your lines "Sony straight up lying with "we believe in generations" and its a shame. Out of all their PR blunders, this one is the worst." so you know they willing to lie you every time they need to, so why  are you so sure  they are not lying again Potentherbs?

Sony lying to investors and Sony being misleading in an interview are two completely different things.