By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War & GT7 Delayed to 2022, Cross Gen For PS4/PS5

PotentHerbs said:
ice said:

Who didn’t see this coming?

Also it’s interesting that Sony seems to be supporting cross gen longer than MS.

Didn't Jez Corden hint that Starfield is cross gen or am I mistaken?

He might've but I haven't seen it. Guess it makes sense given how long it's been in development 

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

There seems to be a big push away from standard console generations.

Microsoft has two consoles, but their primary purpose is to be an entryway for Gamepass. That's why there aren't exclusives from PC. They're not trying to get people to buy Xbox, so much as they are trying to get people to buy Gamepass, that's why they said they would support any platform that allowed Gamepass, even opening the door to Nintendo/PlayStation.

My hypothesis is that Sony is at the very least being open to moving away from primarily being a platform holder, to being primarily a content creator. It's not their primary focus yet, but they seem open to it. They're publishing more and more games on PC, they're continuing to publish more games on PS4. They're creating movie and show tie ins to get more people to buy into their ecosystem.  

The chip shortage isn't really the factor. The PS5 is the fastest selling console ever, and is of course ahead of the PS4 at every point in sales.

The chip shortage isn't causing there to be fewer PS5's than there were PS4's, it's just causing there to be fewer PS5's than there otherwise would be.

Perhaps gamepass does have something to do with it. Instead of letting their user base on ps4 grow bored and try out gamepass, keep the releases on ps4 going until ps5 is readily available.

I think it's mostly the delays from the pandemic that are the cause. Supply can't keep up with demand, and software development simply isn't where it should be at this point. Everything takes longer, thus costs more money, thus making it available on more platforms makes more sense. You push exclusives to increase demand, yet demand looks to stay far above supply for the time being.

It's not ideal, but no doubt Ragnarok and GT7 will still be optimized for dual sense and SSD loading. It always takes a few years for a new gen to get up to speed, and unlike XBox, PS5 won't have a slower system with less memory holding it back when last gen has been left behind.

that probably is a big blow to GT7 to be honest and I don't mean the visuals..

I doubt the underlying game can improve much, if it also has to support the PS4 at probably ~60fps, as those Jaguar CPUs are a hard limitation on what is possible with simulation complexity and amount of players on track.
And with PD needing a long time between releases it's very possible GT8 will only roll around when PS6 is close to or already released, so we are likely stuck with this PS4 capped game for the whole gen..

I wouldn't have bought a PS5 for GT7 or God of War anyways.

I am still waiting on news for stuff like Elden Ring, or Nioh FF. If those are cross gen, guess I can still keep playing PS4.

The most unsurprising announcement here is that GT7 is delayed. I think it will be a 2023 game.

good for me, bad for Ps5 users 

Around the Network

This doesn't change my perspective, I'm still going to get GoW for PS5.

Signalstar said:

Ouch. To the delay and the cross gen announcement. Why is Sony releasing major games on a 9 year old console?

The answer should be pretty obvious: the system isn't doing as well as reports make it seem. Keep in mind GoW isn't coming till 2022 so the semiconductor shortage may be solved by that point or very close to it. Same with the scalper issue. First party titles are designed to sell the system, so having it on a last gen system tell us the longevity of the PS5 is in question. Most likely, internal data shows that the PS5 isn't doing well with consumers and it's strong sales are driven by scalpers and, once that calms down, the system will struggle. 

Remember, Sony wants people to move from their PS4 to the PS5. Doing something like this is counter productive. It leads me to believe the PS5 may be in serious trouble. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Lafiel said:

that probably is a big blow to GT7 to be honest and I don't mean the visuals..

I doubt the underlying game can improve much, if it also has to support the PS4 at probably ~60fps, as those Jaguar CPUs are a hard limitation on what is possible with simulation complexity and amount of players on track.
And with PD needing a long time between releases it's very possible GT8 will only roll around when PS6 is close to or already released, so we are likely stuck with this PS4 capped game for the whole gen..

It depends on whether it needs to have parity with the ps5 version. It would suck to go another gen without dynamic time and weather. It would suck even more if online is not split and you have to wait for people on PS4 to load the track next to being limited in the number of competitors per race.

I don't know what PD is doing but they have lost a lot of good will last gen. GT7 is far too late and probably won't be out until 2023 the way PD works. Meanwhile they're neglecting GT Sport, driving more and more people away with their inability to provide a working penalty system and repetitive races with broken BoP, turning most races into one makes at higher levels.

I guess I'll fear for the worst, then maybe it will turn out not to be so bad... (Cancelling hope for 100+ car multi-class endurance races with dynamic weather at Le Mans and N24)

VideoGameAccountant said:
Signalstar said:

Ouch. To the delay and the cross gen announcement. Why is Sony releasing major games on a 9 year old console?

The answer should be pretty obvious: the system isn't doing as well as reports make it seem. Keep in mind GoW isn't coming till 2022 so the semiconductor shortage may be solved by that point or very close to it. Same with the scalper issue. First party titles are designed to sell the system, so having it on a last gen system tell us the longevity of the PS5 is in question. Most likely, internal data shows that the PS5 isn't doing well with consumers and it's strong sales are driven by scalpers and, once that calms down, the system will struggle. 

Remember, Sony wants people to move from their PS4 to the PS5. Doing something like this is counter productive. It leads me to believe the PS5 may be in serious trouble. 

In Japan and East Asia, agree with you. On the software side

UK and Spain Ps5 have excellent initial sales.

US has a good too, but the Switch is far stronger now and the Xbox has a good performance there too. 

I believe have another problem: the AAA productions maybe it's not sustentanble without MTX and other transactions. And the fast depreciation of the sony/microsoft price games ( good for the consumer, bad for the used market and the soft house) maybe makes the situation worse.

The whole cycle, games launch, two months later go down ( in 20-30 $ realm), and four or five months go to Psn/Live.

Last edited by Agente42 - on 02 June 2021

Mar1217 said:

Knowing Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo’s history of announcing too many of their games early, this isn't surprising anyone. Most of it is PR tactics to ensure early adopters feel justified in their purchase. I'm sad for the fans having to withhold themselves longer.

There. No reason to single them out as if they were the only one among the big 3 to be known for that. It’s a pretty much industry-spread thing, and they shouldn’t be called out over it if a free pass is given to the others, or you simply close your eyes when the others do it.