By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War & GT7 Delayed to 2022, Cross Gen For PS4/PS5

Conina said:

Sony's PS5's cross-gen approach is robbing players of the next-gen thrill

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/242435/xbox-series-xs-cross-gen-approach-is-robbing-players-of-the-next-gen-thrill/1/

Don't see anything wrong with that opinion tbh. At least the majority of Playstation fans on this site accept cross generation will hold back game design instead of defending it like the majority of Xbox fans lol.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 02 June 2021

Around the Network

Whelp there goes my reason to get a PS5. Maybe when there is a PS5 Pro or if FFXVI ends up being a must play (if it isn't timed), because I will now be playing both Forbidden West and God of War on my PS4 Pro. Series X and Switch have everything else covered for me that I am interested in.

The only PS5 game I am even remotely interested in is Ratchet and Clank, and that won't be enough to get me to drop the money for alone. The two above games would have been.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Wman1996 said:

It still makes no sense that they made Demon's Souls only on PS5, yet these titles will be cross-gen.

I think having so many titles cross-gen is stupid. However, I think Sony is panicking because of how hard it is to make PS5 units. They think in the short-term it would be better to have cross-gen titles so that more players will purchase them.

Honestly if I had to guess, Bluepoint probably only optimized Demon's Souls for the PS5, has some rendering technology that would be hard to downscale, and just aren't going to put in the effort. Plus, there's no real reason for Sony to go back and make a game that was specifically only planned for PS5 into a PS4 game. Demon's Souls was probably super late into development/already released when the idea was being tossed around of most PS5 games in the first 2 years becoming cross-gen. It's much easier I'd imagine for a game with the budget and dev size of GOW5 to create a PS4 version 3/4ths of the way into development then to do it towards the end of a games development cycle/retroactively after it's released. Probably a similar reason for why Returnal isn't on PS4 honestly, it was never planned and the dev team is smaller. 

Who didn’t see this coming?

Also it’s interesting that Sony seems to be supporting cross gen longer than MS.

That's one of the few games that would get me to buy a PS5 so that throws that consideration out of the window for another year at least. Not that I'm surprised, seems like 90% of major publishers now days announce games then have at least 1 year delays (some for way more than that) or don't give hard release dates for years. I wish every game came out like Paper Mario The Origami King. Get's announced for the first time then released two months later. Moved like 3.12 million copies (probably more by now) even though it was considered decent by fans of the series (better than the last couple games but worse than the originals). Did it need years worth of hype and marketing to achieve 3+ million sales? Nope! Two months, and it's a game series that isn't even paid attention by most of the gaming world.

Games like GoW, CoD, Halo, TES, etc. do not need more than a year's worth of hype. They probably don't even need 6 months. It's silly, gets people excited way too early which then leads to deflation of hype, harassment of developers on social media, overworking of developers, and a whole bunch of other problems. No one in this thread would be disappointed about GoW being delayed if we didn't know about the game existing until right before release. Need beta testers? Get 1,000 people to sign NDA's and zip your mouth until the game is essentially perfect, then and ONLY then should a developer start talking about their game. We all get so stressed out about delays because companies announce games far earlier than they should.

Nintendo is pretty good about this, except for a couple games lately and many of us fans have become ticked off about this. Botw 2 was announced too early. Metroid Prime 4 is a miserable situation for us, but at least that one has a decent excuse since a new developer took it over after they announced. Still, delays stink the big one.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

Why has cross-gen suddenly become a thing for first-party titles, anyway? While it's been commonplace for several generations now for third-party games, the only first-party game I can recall being cross-gen prior to 2017 was Twilight Princess. Nintendo later released BotW day-and-date on Wii U & Switch. Now it's a thing for PlayStation and Xbox. I mean, I don't mind it, but still, it's unusual seeing the platform makers not have a sharp cut-off. I wonder if it's at least in part due to newer hardware being hard to come across and Sony & MS not wanting to immediately cut off the tens of millions of users who haven't made the switch yet.

Forza Horizon 2 and Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious say hello.

Mixed messages by Sony’s PR and some really dumb decisions like making these games cross-gen when they can use they full potential of the PS5.

Sadly, the bastards know what they’re doing when they’re making less and less PS4 consoles but still supporting their existing users and making way more PS5’s.

ice said:

Also it’s interesting that Sony seems to be supporting cross gen longer than MS.

Not necessarily if Forza Horizon 5 is cross gen it will be supported for years to come just like 4 did.

Chris Hu said:
ice said:

Not necessarily if Forza Horizon 5 is cross gen it will be supported for years to come just like 4 did.

Yeah, I guess that's true. I was just talking about initial releases of new games, Halo Infinite will be supported for years too.

ice said:

Didn't Jez Corden hint that Starfield is cross gen or am I mistaken?