By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox will catch up to Playstation this generation

Xbox will catch up to playstation this generation

Agree 28 21.21%

Disagree 104 78.79%

Total:132
curl-6 said:
Azzanation said:

Brand power has nothing to do with it as they are both large gaming brands. Xbox has proven in the past that it can keep up with the PS brand, look no further than Gen 7. Midway through Gen 8 and all of Gen 9, its not the same appoach.

The problem with these comparisons are the two very different strategies. Xbox isnt relying on console sales, its relying on multiplatform eco-system population where as Sony is heavily relying on console sales and dipping their toes into MS's strategy slowly.

If we compare just console sales than thats a no brainer, that will always go to the brand giving less options of accessibility.

Gen 7 was close because Sony fucked up badly with the PS3 and MS took good advantage of their missteps. There's no cracks in Playstation's armour for Xbox to get its hooks into now.

Unless I'm missing something, console sales is what we're talking about here, not multiplatform ecosystems, so the former is all that matters.

The exact same point can be made with Gen 8 which was fucked up by MS which Sony took good advantage of their missteps.

Series S/X isn't competing with the PS5 head on like traditional rivals anymore, as its not the only primary selling point for Xbox in Gen 9. Its not about selling hardware but selling subscriptions. Xbox hardware it just an alternative and an option to get into Live/GP. This isn't Nintendo vs Sega anymore, those days are over, as much as many still want to believe its the same thing, its not.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 02 June 2021

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
DonFerrari said:

Series is selling basically the same as X1, but this time since they can`t fault the "disastrous reveal and Don Mattrick" I wonder whose will be the fault this time.

Trust me they will still blame mattrick and 2013. I think they are already claiming that xbox brand is still recovering. They will never blame Spencer for the direction he took the xbox. Like cancelling so many games during the drought the x1 had. 

We already got that... Series X is still fragile because of the reveal of X1 thus only next gen Xbox will catch up.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

If GamePass wasn't available on Windows, you might be right. But it's highly unlikely Xbox will catch up to PlayStation outside of the USA or North America.

But there will be millions of GamePass subscribers now and in the future who don't purchase an Xbox.

Xbox's best market, the United States, still puts it in heavy competition with PlayStation and Nintendo. Xbox is pretty much a nonfactor in Japan, and I don't think that will ever change.

Honestly, Xbox has only a few options if they have any hope of catching up to the PS5 (let alone surpassing it).
-Some true exclusives, either timed or permanent. While a lot of PlayStation titles will be on PS4 or Windows, they have an edge in this department. There's even a third-party game, Final Fantasy XVI, which is only confirmed for PS5. Now I can all but guarantee it will make its way to Windows and possibly Xbox Series S/X. But that will take months or years. Every Xbox Series game right now is available on Windows or something else.
-Massive price cuts, though this would lead to more hardware revenue losses. If Microsoft got the Series S down to $200 and the Series X down to $400, this could undercut Sony big-time. But it would have to involve Sony not dropping their prices as well.
-Bad PR from Sony. They already have some bad PR moves in recent times. But if it got a lot worse, Microsoft could use this to their advantage. Xbox One's bad PR certainly hurt its chances against the PS4. Though In North America, it wasn't as much behind PS4 as you would think.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Azzanation said:
curl-6 said:

Gen 7 was close because Sony fucked up badly with the PS3 and MS took good advantage of their missteps.

The exact same point can be made with Gen 8 which was fucked up by MS which Sony took good advantage of their missteps.

Series S/X isn't competing with the PS5 head on like traditional rivals anymore, as its not the only primary selling point for Xbox in Gen 9.
Its not about selling hardware but selling subscriptions. Xbox hardware it just an alternative and an option to get into Live/GP. This isn't Nintendo vs Sega anymore, those days are over, as much as many still want to believe its the same thing, its not.

Is that the exact same point? When MS fucks up Sony wins. When Sony fucks up, Sony still wins even with MS having 1 year head start.

I don't understand the deflection. This is about a prediction of console sales. Either that is true or false.
But if you only care about subscriptions... Sony has their own subscription in PS+ and it sells more than 2x as much as GP.
And their GP numbers are including PC subscriptions where Sony isn't even competing now.
GP isn't finding massive more success than PS+, even as percentage of Xbox/Playstation install base, let alone shifting user base share.

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 02 June 2021

DonFerrari said:
eva01beserk said:

Trust me they will still blame mattrick and 2013. I think they are already claiming that xbox brand is still recovering. They will never blame Spencer for the direction he took the xbox. Like cancelling so many games during the drought the x1 had. 

We already got that... Series X is still fragile because of the reveal of X1 thus only next gen Xbox will catch up.

Don't forget Bill Gates divorce... ;-P

Around the Network
padib said:

Few of you know that I had already predicted that the hybrid Nintendo console would dominate gen 9. I did this years ago (in 2014) because I understand the video game market and was able to predict years in advance the factors that would make that a reality. The main reason was a unified library between Nintendo's home and portable console, which prior to the hybrid were fragmented, and fragmented their release schedule, making it much stronger once unified.

Like TBone, I like to make controversion predictions because, like history has shown us, when most people take for granted by looking at popularity, they are often wrong by using the popularity factor alone. Much more important real factors make the success of a console, and now with Xbox we have an upcoming winner. Let me explain.

The xbox gamepass looks like just any other game delivery service, but in reality it is a very special one. Xbox gamepass is very aggressive.

On day 1, xbox owners get to play the very best offerings because Microsoft is putting their 1st party games on gamepass at launch. Not only that, but they are hard at work with partners, making sure they do the very same thing. Let's compare some alternatives. Stadia for example was a ruin from the start. Google offers users a membership, but users still have to pay full price for games during their membership. Apple offers Apple arcade, but the games are not what most gamers expect, many being small indie app-like games that are not strong in front of the main industry games. Playstation offers Playstation now, however the main games are not there on launch and the service is streamed.

With Xbox gamepass, gamers can download top games directly to their xbox and play them as if they own the game. And even games they might not buy, they can play due to their subscription, like icing on a cake.

This makes gamepass a very enticing service for people who want to play games without committing to high prices for a full game purchase, while giving others the option to do so if they want to. Someone unsure of what console to choose can easily purchase an xbox with a gamepass subscription and get playing immediately.

As people become more and more aware of this purchasing option, I predict the following:

• Microsoft will gain a lot of ground in the US, probably beating the playstation by a two to one ratio in console sales over the course of the generation.
  • Sony will continue to keep a hold on Europe as gamers are very loyal to the brand there and Sony's marketing is very strong there. Over the course of the generation, Microsoft will get strong in the UK but continue to struggle in Spain, Italy, France and other mediterranean countries that are dominated by Sony.
  • In Japan, Nintendo will continue to dominate leaving little room for the other two, esp. Sony, to get an advantage there.
  • While gamepass will be popular on PC, Xbox will be the place to play since the console is a lot cheaper than a gaming PC, and thus much more accessible to the mainstream.

Therefore, my prediction is that while Sony will be very strong this gen with 1st party software, with a similar strength to the PS4, Xbox will catch up to Sony within the first 3 years of the lifespan of the gen. This will surprise a lot of people because most underestimate the importance of gamepass and its upcoming impact.

The sales for both consoles will be very strong, stronger than the PS3 era. Both consoles will finish at around 100M units each.

I sort of agree with you but this will happen only IF Microsoft buys a major Japanese game studio. So if MS can pull off buying SquareEnix then yes, it will be as strong as PS or might even surpass it.

Soonerman said:

I sort of agree with you but this will happen only IF Microsoft buys a major Japanese game studio. So if MS can pull off buying SquareEnix then yes, it will be as strong as PS or might even surpass it.

That would essentially be a death sentence to whatever Japanese studio they bought. Xbox is never going to happen in Japan, no matter what Microsoft does. The US fanbase for those games is unlikely to follow them to Xbox. Even in the US, Japanese games sell far less on Xbox than they do on PlayStation or even Nintendo. After the first couple of flops you'd see a mass exodus of talent followed by Microsoft shuttering the company or selling its remnants to another publisher. 

I agree. Xbox will dominate this gen.

mutantsushi said:
Azzanation said:

Series S/X isn't competing with the PS5 head on like traditional rivals anymore, as its not the only primary selling point for Xbox in Gen 9.
Its not about selling hardware but selling subscriptions. Xbox hardware it just an alternative and an option to get into Live/GP. This isn't Nintendo vs Sega anymore, those days are over, as much as many still want to believe its the same thing, its not.

Is that the exact same point? When MS fucks up Sony wins. When Sony fucks up, Sony still wins even with MS having 1 year head start.

I don't understand the deflection. This is about a prediction of console sales. Either that is true or false.
But if you only care about subscriptions... Sony has their own subscription in PS+ and it sells more than 2x as much as GP.
GP isn't finding massive more success than PS+, even as percentage of Xbox/Playstation install base. And you can't even mention PS+.

Fuck ups are fuck ups regardless. XB1's fuck up helped boost PS4 sales, PS3s fuck ups helped boost 360 sales. Now if you do some research this is what you will find. PS went from PS2's 150m consoles sold to the PS3's 85m consoles sold due to these stuff ups. OG Xbox went from 30m consoles sold to the 360's 85m sold. That's a minus -65m units sold for the PS brand to a plus 55m console boost to Xbox. Gen 8, we currently have the PS4 gaining 35m more units than last gen while Xbox lost 35m consoles this gen. Do you see the pattarn yet? Understand how this works now? Majority of the same audience continues to shuffle around brands depending on its value and reception.

FYI: PS3 is the 2nd worst profitable console in history, the 360 not only made heaps more money and lose less money last gen, it also sold a lot more software. The definition of "Winning" in these comparison is quite funny. I consider a winner the one that actually makes more profit if we are looking at it as a business sense. Console sales is well.. nonsense.

I have read comments on people saying MS brought Bethesda and it has made no difference in sales.. umm Bethesda hasn't even released a game yet. So the premature assumptions is also quite concerning. 

Also GamePass isn't a Xbox console exclusive, you can access it on PC which means its going to help move customers from Xbox rather than gain customers for their hardware. The Series S/X isnt meant to outsell the PS5, it has its own sales targets which currently right now, the Series X is sold out. This is why comparing head to head sales is really only to stroke peoples fantasy's online. The two companies have very different end goals, the industry has changed and its time people accept it and move past the console wars.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 02 June 2021

mutantsushi said:
DonFerrari said:

Don't forget Bill Gates divorce... ;-P

You gotcha the root cause, Series won`t outsell PS5 because of the divorce, that will suck up all the resources MS was going to use to buy the win this gen (same that was gonna be used to buy gen 6, 7 and 8). Although I always thought that infinite divided by 2 was still infinite.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."