By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox will catch up to Playstation this generation

Xbox will catch up to playstation this generation

Agree 28 21.21%

Disagree 104 78.79%

Total:132

Lets hope its close, we all win if Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are competing hard against each other releasing quality games.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=183141

We’ve been here before at the same point in the previous gen. 😛

That thread is historic and the birth of the 'globally in the US' meme.

"I am like the doctor that told his fellow colleagues to wash their hands before surgeries, and they took it as  an insult, and it took many years for microscopic life and pathogens to be discovered, I am simply ahead of my time, and none of you realize it" - The Drill 2014

Surely that was just one of the biggest troll jobs in the history of Vgchartz.

Also, amazing how active the forums were back then.

In order for the Series X/S to catch up to the PS5, Xbox would need to absolutely dominate in NA, or gain massive inroads in Europe/RoTW, or a little bit of both. Microsoft even has the price advantage with the Series S which is seemingly having no impact on reducing the gap between both platforms.

Combine that with Sony focusing on growing their brand in China, building upon their presence in RoTW markets, getting more women into their ecosystem, cultivating partnerships with local developers, having (IMO) a unique selling point in the Dualsense controller, getting exclusivity by default from a number of independent developers, getting third party exclusives from major publishers, cultivating their internal IP into iconic franchises, bundled with some of the best marketing in the industry, it will be an uphill battle for Microsoft with very few missteps from Sony. The standard PS5 is going to break even in June, already giving Sony better positioning when it comes to price cuts. 

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 02 June 2021

CGI-Quality said:

The birthplace of the greatest VGC meme for sure, "globally in the US"

Thank you for sharing that with us.

Dallinor said:
CGI-Quality said:

That thread is historic and the birth of the 'globally in the US' meme.

"I am like the doctor that told his fellow colleagues to wash their hands before surgeries, and they took it as  an insult, and it took many years for microscopic life and pathogens to be discovered, I am simply ahead of my time, and none of you realize it" - The Drill 2014

Surely that was just one of the biggest troll jobs in the history of Vgchartz.

Also, amazing how active the forums were back then.

Were amazing for how long he was capable of pretend being dumb and keep the thread going on refuting all arguments.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
curl-6 said:

Gen 7 was close because Sony fucked up badly with the PS3 and MS took good advantage of their missteps. There's no cracks in Playstation's armour for Xbox to get its hooks into now.

Unless I'm missing something, console sales is what we're talking about here, not multiplatform ecosystems, so the former is all that matters.

The exact same point can be made with Gen 8 which was fucked up by MS which Sony took good advantage of their missteps.

Series S/X isn't competing with the PS5 head on like traditional rivals anymore, as its not the only primary selling point for Xbox in Gen 9. Its not about selling hardware but selling subscriptions. Xbox hardware it just an alternative and an option to get into Live/GP. This isn't Nintendo vs Sega anymore, those days are over, as much as many still want to believe its the same thing, its not.

Except even when Sony screws up, PS still outsells Xbox. When Sony doesn't screw up, PS outsells Xbox by a long shot.

This thread is about hardware sales, not subscriptions. Trying to turn this into a battle over services is frankly derailing.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 June 2021

What do you mean by catch up? If you mean Xbox will gain market share and potentially tie in NA then I might be willing to consider that. If you mean an X360 vs PS3 situation then probably not.

Edit: If you are talking about the latter situation, I feel like the Xbox Series doing 3DS Numbers, beating the PS5 in NA, and whittling Sony down to Wii/PS1 numbers for the PS5 globally (80/100 split), would be a massive success for Microsoft this generation.

(Not that it matters ofc, given that profit is what's most important to both companies in reality, and the whole console wars are really just an addicting long-term betting game for video game fans on the internet to whittle away their lives on.)
Last edited by CheddarPlease - on 02 June 2021

Crazy swings happen quite often (in fact 100% of the time). I wouldn't shut the door on anything. Shrinking the gap from previous generation to current generation is very likely but a full catch-up? I have plenty of doubt.

+55 million swing from PS1 to PS2
-70 million swing from PS2 to PS3
+29 million current swing (will grow) from PS3 to PS4.

-12.8 million from NES to Super NES
-16 million from Super NES to Nintendo 64
+68.5 million swing from Nintendo 64 to Wii
-87.6 million swing from the Wii to the Wii U
+71.7 million current swing (will grow a lot) from Wii U to the Switch

+61 million swing from Xbox to Xbox 360
-35.7 million current swing (will shrink slightly) from Xbox 360 to Xbox One

The only thing history is showing is that none of these three companies are consistent.
Playstation's historic pattern is up, down, up
Nintendo's historic pattern is down, down, up, down, up
Xbox's historic pattern is up, down

The only thing that I know for sure is that nothing is for sure. The OP may very well be correct in sales being matched but how that happens could take a different path.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Kyuu said:
Kyuu said:

This prediction will not age well. Sony is aiming for the PS5 to outsell PS4's first fiscal year, and break their all time hardware record in the 2nd year, which -alongside a plethora of other information- makes me more confident in my 140 million+ prediction than I ever was.

If MS keeps the majority of Bethesda group's games exclusive, then they should be able to have a chance at barely winning in the US without resorting to heavy price drops (which was partly what kept Xbox One competitive in US/UK), but it's still far from a guaranteed win considering Sony's current position, plans, and momentum.

Funny how literal minutes after posting this, I don't believe Sony will be able to meet their targets by FY 2023. Their CrossGen approach may bite them in the ass.

Dissociating PS5 with exclusives by continuing to release notable CrossGen games in 2022 should affect the general hype and sales. I for one am no longer excited for PS5 at all at this point. It'll still be huge of course but I don't see it hitting 23 millon+ in FY 2022.

I think you really should reconsider your way of thinking if you honestly think cross-gen games are going to hurt the PS5's sales. The PS5 is the new hot product on the market. Having a few games still available on PS4 isn't going to change that. They're producing more units than they did the PS4 and it's still selling out.

There will still be games exclusive to the PS5, some more will probably be announced this year or next, and even the cross-gen games will look drastically different on it. We only have to look at the positive reaction to Horizon: FW to see that. GOW will also blow people away. It's not like Sony is showing games that look like Halo Infinite. People are still impressed with their cross-gen games, so it's not going to hurt them in the least. It'll just be fodder in some console wars on forums, ones that will do nothing to change the mainstream's views.

curl-6 said:
Azzanation said:

The exact same point can be made with Gen 8 which was fucked up by MS which Sony took good advantage of their missteps.

Series S/X isn't competing with the PS5 head on like traditional rivals anymore, as its not the only primary selling point for Xbox in Gen 9. Its not about selling hardware but selling subscriptions. Xbox hardware it just an alternative and an option to get into Live/GP. This isn't Nintendo vs Sega anymore, those days are over, as much as many still want to believe its the same thing, its not.

Except even when Sony screws up, PS still outsells Xbox. When Sony doesn't screw up, PS outsells Xbox by a long shot.

This thread is about hardware sales, not subscriptions. Trying to turn this into a battle over services is frankly derailing.

Not sure how else to put this,

When Sony screwed up, they lost 65m customers (A fair chunk of market share) and Xbox gained 55m in that same gen, when Xbox Screwed up, they lost 35m customers and Sony gained 35m in the next gen. To add, Sony gained a lot more market share in Gen 8 because Nintendo also screwed up leaving Sony to compete with two struggling systems not just one. The 360 was also competing against the Nintendo Wii where as the PS4 was competing against the WiiU. Hence the results of Gen 8.

What makes these type of threads pointless today is the two completely different business models. One isn't all about selling consoles, one you can stream their games on Mobile devices and buy them on PC allowing for less console sales for greater Eco market share, while the other brand is mostly all about selling hardware with small steps into the PC and mobile market. Why do people keep trying to compare these two. They don't even have the same console sale targets. Its like comparing Plane sales to Car sales and bragging because one sells more.

I am still surprised people care so much about console sales over what actually makes them successful. Holding onto the PS3 outselling the 360 when the 360 is in a different league of success is what people need to understand, not who sell more.

If console sales is what people need to justify themselves cool, however its a lot bigger than just hardware sales in these modern days. This isn't Sega vs Nintendo anymore.