By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox will catch up to Playstation this generation

Xbox will catch up to playstation this generation

Agree 28 21.21%

Disagree 104 78.79%

Total:132

I wish this site wasn't so strict because I'd love to talk shit about Sony fans as much as possible. It's so easy to trigger you some of you.

Moderated by pi-guy

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 03 June 2021

Around the Network
Ayla said:

I wish this site wasn't so strict because I'd love to talk shit about Sony fans as much as possible. It's so easy to trigger you some of you.

Farewell little soldier, your fight was great

Ayla said:

This isn’t happening, the PS brand is too strong worldwide. MS would have to obliterate Sony in the US and that won’t happen.

XBox isn't focused on selling consoles, so I see it as highly unlikely that they'll overtake their dominant competitor that is focused on selling consoles. I do expect the margin will be smaller this time around, but it will probably still be big.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Azzanation said:

If you know business, than you would know Profits > Hardware sales. You say the PS3 won over the 360? Even though its a fact the PS3 lost more money than the 360. Hmm that's not how winning works. You dont win by losing more money.

I am still surprised that these sale figures actually matter to some. These brands arent even competing in the same race anymore.

No offense man but the amount of spin you're trying to put on this would fling a planet out of orbit.

This thread is about which console sells more, specifically the Xbox Series catching up to PS5 in sales. You're doing everything possible to deflect from that.

Cool.. and whats the exact point? I am surprised you and many others still fail to see the issue with the comparisons.

Its as poor as making a thread comparing Steam Physical sales to Console Physical sales and saying Consoles win.

My entire point is that the comparisons don't make sense anymore. 

Last edited by Azzanation - on 03 June 2021

VAMatt said:

XBox isn't focused on selling consoles, so I see it as highly unlikely that they'll overtake their dominant competitor that is focused on selling consoles. I do expect the margin will be smaller this time around, but it will probably still be big.

Common sense but.. apparently we need a winner and a loser.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 03 June 2021

Ayla said:

Moderated by pi-guy

The cornerstone of good comedy is punching up.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

I think a lot of people are forgetting what monumental change has to happen in order to get one console to make serious headway vs the market leader. Most people don't switch brands of consoles on a whim. If you buy the same brand of console as you did last gen you get to keep your Trophylist/Gamerscore. You get to sell your old system and play your older games on your new system. You get to keep your same online friends. Usually what gets people to switch consoles is a combination of monumental screw ups on one company's part, and amazing headway on another company's part. Several examples from history...

The console industry had to crash in order for Nintendo to get a foot in the door with the NES. Nintendo had the insanely brave strategy of promising to buy back any unsold stock from store owners.

Sega Megadrive/Genesis had to launch 2 years prior to SNES, go hard on marketing, and get a Sonic pack-in. They still sold about 20 million less than SNES.

Sega and Nintendo both massively screwed up during the 32 bit era. Nintendo 64 was mostly a system for 1st party software. Saturn was designed for 2D games, and confusing to develop for. Sony on the other hand played the perfect combo of price + catering to 3rd party devs.

Sony had their $599 debacle early in the 7th gen, while 360 got a ton of great early games. 360 launched a year early. Lots of formerly PS exclusive 3rd party games became multiplatform titles that gen as well. Despite all this Sony still won the generation.

I'm not even going to detail how XB1 messed up since most here already know the story.

Finally, I think people are overestimating how much of an effect Gamepass is going to have on console sales. Gamepass isn't that much better than PSN. Opencritic has a nice tracking system that keeps tabs on every Gamepass and PSN game. Unless their data is wrong or outdated I don't see how Gamepass is going to make that much of a difference in console sales. 

Edit: For clarity, this mostly just tracks gen 8 and 9 games. Gen 7 games aren't scored on Opencritic. Still a useful tool for putting Gamepass and PSN into perspective though.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 03 June 2021

Cerebralbore101 said:

I think a lot of people are forgetting what monumental change has to happen in order to get one console to make serious headway vs the market leader. Most people don't switch brands of consoles on a whim. If you buy the same brand of console as you did last gen you get to keep your Trophylist/Gamerscore. You get to sell your old system and play your older games on your new system. You get to keep your same online friends. Usually what gets people to switch consoles is a combination of monumental screw ups on one company's part, and amazing headway on another company's part. Several examples from history...

The console industry had to crash in order for Nintendo to get a foot in the door with the NES. Nintendo had the insanely brave strategy of promising to buy back any unsold stock from store owners.

Sega Megadrive/Genesis had to launch 2 years prior to SNES, go hard on marketing, and get a Sonic pack-in. They still sold about 20 million less than SNES.

Sega and Nintendo both massively screwed up during the 32 bit era. Nintendo 64 was mostly a system for 1st party software. Saturn was designed for 2D games, and confusing to develop for. Sony on the other hand played the perfect combo of price + catering to 3rd party devs.

Sony had their $599 debacle early in the 7th gen, while 360 got a ton of great early games. 360 launched a year early. Lots of formerly PS exclusive 3rd party games became multiplatform titles that gen as well. Despite all this Sony still won the generation.

I'm not even going to detail how XB1 messed up since most here already know the story.

Finally, I think people are overestimating how much of an effect Gamepass is going to have on console sales. Gamepass isn't that much better than PSN. Opencritic has a nice tracking system that keeps tabs on every Gamepass and PSN game. Unless their data is wrong or outdated I don't see how Gamepass is going to make that much of a difference in console sales. 

So ps now has 3x the games. 

The big question is how many are downloadable. Cuz that's the main issue as a lot of players dont want cloud gaming. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.