Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox will catch up to Playstation this generation

Xbox will catch up to playstation this generation

Agree 28 21.21%

Disagree 104 78.79%

Total:132
DonFerrari said:
Random_Matt said:

Hear the same shit every gen.

Series is selling basically the same as X1, but this time since they can`t fault the "disastrous reveal and Don Mattrick" I wonder whose will be the fault this time.

Don was just a puppet, so is Phil. They ultimately do not make the decisions, Don was just scapegoated. 

Around the Network

Lmao! Not happening.

I don't see that happening, but I think in the long run, the Xbox Series consoles will be more successful than the Xbox One consoles.

"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and savior, Gamepass?"

Random_Matt said:
DonFerrari said:

Series is selling basically the same as X1, but this time since they can`t fault the "disastrous reveal and Don Mattrick" I wonder whose will be the fault this time.

Don was just a puppet, so is Phil. They ultimately do not make the decisions, Don was just scapegoated. 

He still is. To this day people want us to believe that the biggest reason X1 sold less than half of PS4 instead of equal like in X360 days was the reveal under Don.

VersusEvil said:

Not even the most dedicated Xbox fan thinks this. The only thing Xbox Series needs to do better this gen is have a better roadmap than Xbox One, better games, better decisions, a more consistent and overall better more positive generation. It certainly doesn't need or ever will "catch up" to PlayStation this gen of any gen.

There are a few that still thinks like that in VGC and probaly in other places as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I see a scenario where it's possible that they make up alot of ground this gen, if they make all the right decisions, but I would say that it's more likely that they will gain ground but still be behind by at least 20-30m at the end of the generation, it likely won't be until gen 10 when they have an actual chance of catching up or passing Sony, they were just in too weak of a position gen 8 to catch up this gen. The right decisions they need to make to gain alot of ground this gen and surpass Xbox 360 sales by the end of the gen, setting them up for a stronger gen 10:

• They need to do something about their current production issues asap. Sony is currently producing more than twice as many PS5 units on a weekly basis as MS is producing Series S|X units, presumably due to a better contract with TSMC. MS needs to make a deal with another foundry besides TSMC to get additional chip production going (Samsung and IBM are capable of producing chipsets on the proper node), unless they want PS5 to already have a huge lead by Summer 2022 when this chip shortage is rumored to be ending.
  • They need to launch in more markets soon, as PS5 is currently available in about 20 more markets than Series S|X, and they need better marketing across all of their more niche markets.
  • Price cut Series S and Series X well throughout the generation. Series S needs to drop to $250 Holiday 2022, Series X to $450 Holiday 2022. S to $200 by Holiday 2024, X to $400. One final price cut to something like $170 S/$350 X by Holiday 2026. Temporary price cuts with even better deals on Black Friday/Cyber Monday weeks.
  • They need to make smart bundling choices throughout the generation. They need bundles for big AAA 3rd party multiplat games each year that they get the marketing rights to, as well as their biggest exclusives like Halo Infinite, Starfield, Elder Scrolls 6, Gears 6, and more. Gamepass bundles would also be smart, especially close to the Holiday season, bundling say 6 months of Gamepass with the already cheap Series S could be huge with budget conscious gamers.
  • They need to keep acquiring independent AAA studios (Avalanche and IO Interactive seem like good targets since they are already doing 2nd party exclusives for MS according to insiders), maybe even another mid size publisher like Bethesda (Capcom, Sega, Koei Tecmo, or WB Interactive from Discovery, all seem like viable targets for MS acquisition). And they need to make sure those studios' games are exclusive to PC and Xbox, just like Bethesda's games.
  • They need to take more time on their exclusives, focusing on quality over quantity. 
  • They need more AAA story driven exclusives, like Sony specializes in, they can't steal any of that fanbase from Sony unless they have big AAA story driven releases of their own. 

Nope, nothing to do with better contract or selling in more countries.

The actual reason is that MS didn`t had the confidence they would sell the same level of Sony so they contracted half as much. Nothing prevented them from signing double amount except their own lack of confidence. The markets that sell the lion share are already being attended by MS.

Xbox HW is more expensive to make than PS5 so MS cutting Sony by 50USD all the time would just mean extra 50 loses and well Sony can match that anytime their own sales curve is below their wishes. Reason they didn`t cut PS4 much was exactly because during the whole gen it was selling at target or above even without price cuts, while Xbox even with cuts didn`t really accelerate the sales.

The rest sure can help they sell more HW. But keeping most going to PC won`t help them.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Do you remember when Sony made the most fuckups imaginable with the PS3, fuck ups so bad that they lost their dominance in the gaming industry. Meanwhile Xbox had a bunch of great first party games, a lot of neat third party exclusives, and the most successful Wii knockoff in the console industry.

Do you remember when the PS3 still ended up outselling the 360?

DonFerrari said:
Random_Matt said:

Hear the same shit every gen.

Trust me they will still blame mattrick and 2013. I think they are already claiming that xbox brand is still recovering. They will never blame Spencer for the direction he took the xbox. Like cancelling so many games during the drought the x1 had. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Me reading this thread:

No it won't. But there is a chance it will be a 3/2 split instead of 2/1 last gen.