By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS vs Ninty's lowest selling console: Xbox vs Wii U

Which is better?

Wii U 46 48.94%

Original Xbox 48 51.06%

Total:94
Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah in spite of the Wii U's many problems, from its slow and awkward interface, to the poor choices they made with a lot of their software, to the painful game droughts, as a Nintendo fan I also still can't bring myself to hate it as it still had some really special games that contained that signature Nintendo magic you simply don't get from other consoles. 

Sadly the WiiU's interface was held back by the SSD's (eMMC) performance, it just didn't have the throughput and latency needed even compared to a mechanical hard drive.

Honestly, I barely touched my WiiU, did complete Breath of the Wild though, but that is pretty much it.

To be fair, I did love the off-screen gaming on the handheld, being Nintendo's first Hybrid, it was a very cool feature not needing to tie up the TV.

I see. Personally the off-TV play feature never really appealed to me, possibly cos I was never into handheld gaming, so pretty much the only saving grace for the Wii U for me was how much I loved games like BOTW, DK Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, etc. Unfortunately, there were simply too few of them, and the gaps between were torture.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

Sadly the WiiU's interface was held back by the SSD's (eMMC) performance, it just didn't have the throughput and latency needed even compared to a mechanical hard drive.

Honestly, I barely touched my WiiU, did complete Breath of the Wild though, but that is pretty much it.

To be fair, I did love the off-screen gaming on the handheld, being Nintendo's first Hybrid, it was a very cool feature not needing to tie up the TV.

I see. Personally the off-TV play feature never really appealed to me, possibly cos I was never into handheld gaming, so pretty much the only saving grace for the Wii U for me was how much I loved games like BOTW, DK Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, etc. Unfortunately, there were simply too few of them, and the gaps between were torture.

How is your Switch list compared to your Wii U list so far? Large gap?

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

My Switch list only just recently overtook my Wii U list. I actually feel like so far Wii U has the better first party lineup, but Switch's massively superior third party catalogue more than makes up the difference haha

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

My Switch list only just recently overtook my Wii U list. I actually feel like so far Wii U has the better first party lineup, but Switch's massively superior third party catalogue more than makes up the difference haha

The big issue with Switch is the fact it's 1st party lineup is dominated by WiiU ports.
I guess that is a testament to how solid allot of WiiU games fundamentally were.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Shouldn't it be Xbox vs Virtua Boy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
Signalstar said:

Virtual Boy is hardly fair. It wasn't a successor to either the Game Boy or SNES. Additionally, it wouldn't be an interesting conversation. Any worst-selling from a major console manufacturer would trounce the Virtual Boy.

Xbox beats Virtual Boy

PlayStation Vita beats Virtual Boy

Sega's lowest-selling would beat it

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Signalstar said:

Virtual Boy's not a home console, and as Wman says it wouldn't be a very interesting thread.

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

The big issue with Switch is the fact it's 1st party lineup is dominated by WiiU ports.
I guess that is a testament to how solid allot of WiiU games fundamentally were.

Yeah that's my big problem with the Switch, so much of its library is recycled leftovers I already played on older systems.

They may be great games, but if I already own them then they have zero value to me.

I want more original Switch games on par with the likes of Mario Odyssey, or even Xenoblade 2 and Splatoon 2. I honestly feel like Nintendo hasn't released a genuinely great first party game since 2017. I'm really hoping that changes this year.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 May 2021

curl-6 said:
Signalstar said:

Virtual Boy's not a home console, and as Wman says it wouldn't be a very interesting thread.

Pemalite said:

Yeah that's my big problem with the Switch, so much of its library is recycled leftovers I already played on older systems.

They may be great games, but if I already own them then they have zero value to me.

I want more original Switch games on par with the likes of Mario Odyssey, or even Xenoblade 2 and Splatoon 2. I honestly feel like Nintendo hasn't released a genuinely great first party game since 2017. I'm really hoping that changes this year.

Vita wasn't a home console either, and you made a thread comparing it to Xbox because they were both the manufacturer's lowest selling platform.

I'm not out to make a big deal out of this or anything. Just wanted to point out that the Wii U isn't even Nintendo's worst performing hardware of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Damn, I could make some bank on my Wii U.

Still the Green Goblin.