By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS vs Ninty's lowest selling console: Xbox vs Wii U

Which is better?

Wii U 46 48.94%

Original Xbox 48 51.06%

Total:94

Very hard for me to pick one, because I haven't played many original Xbox games other than Halo: Combat Evolved.

But Wii U has some of my favorite Nintendo games, so I'm voting for it. Even if I think I may be wrong here.

Around the Network

Considering only exclusive titles I prefer WiiU.
Considering the overall library it's the Xbox, no contest.

Although it was the only console I didn't own in gen 6, OG XBOX.

I think both had great games (in case of WiiU illustrated by their late success on Switch). But I have to give the edge to Xbox on this. That is because Xbox shaped the modern HD consoles a lot. The main part is the storage and the internet access. Both in combination allowed for digital games, DLC and updates, which are very common these days. And the effect of the Xbox was pretty instant, PS3 and XBox 360 had more in common with OG Xbox than PS2. So with it's importance to the market I have to give it to Xbox.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I pick XBox by a narrow margin....If I were the boil it down to what games I like, it would be Wii U.

In a historical context, MS built Xbox out of nothing (ok, they blew over $4 billion on it), while Nintendo managed to lose all the Wii goodwill. It has to be XBox.

Today, you can buy most of Wii U’s main exclusives on Switch, XBox wins again. I guess you could argue Xbox’s extreme backwards compatibility makes it the same situation as Switch, but you could be replaying your old copy of Grabbed by the Ghoulies or Dead or Alive Beach Bods for free, upgrading New SmB U to Switch means buying it all over again. Still XBox.

Around the Network

Xbox has the bigger library overall, (997 to 783) but most games of that generation don't really appeal to me so my Wii U collection is bigger than my Xbox collection.

I don't think anything on Xbox is quite as great as BOTW, but on the flipside I don't think I played any Wii U game as much as I played Star Wars Battlefront on the Xbox.

Seems like this was a good matchup, the poll results so far are incredibly close.

ooh, that's a close one..

I'm a big 360 guy (lukewarm on the XBOne) but never liked the original Xbox, having a pretty solid gaming PC in the early 2000s, there wasn't really a reason for me to own one. And frankly found the "bigger is better!" mentality pretty dumb, never dug the big bulky console or original controller. Had a handful of games I really like, Halo and Morrowind in particular. But again, I could (and did) play those on my PC with a far better experience.

The Wii U is my least favorite Nintendo console, and it's not even really close. I really didn't like the convoluted "Miiverse" interface and felt many of the games were just niche and unappealing. Most of the good ones found there way on Switch anyway. Third party support was abysmal outside basically Ubisoft and the indies hadn't really jumped on board with Nintendo consoles at that point. Didn't dig the bulky "Gamepad" controller which to me just looked and felt like a glorified Fischer Price toy. The "off-screen console gaming" was fairly new at that point but was somewhat irritating that you couldn't (or at least I couldn't) play from even the next room.

Still, as a Nintendo fan first and foremost I think I still *slightly* favor it over the Xbox. It was the first HD Nintendo console, and still had plenty of great and underrated titles. Nintendoland had some fun moments, NES Remix was a cool retro throwback, and Xenoblade X I contend is one of the more underrated, overlooked RPGs in the last decade. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Wii U. It had an awful lot of unique games. I rebought most of them on Switch.

DarthMetalliCube said:

ooh, that's a close one..

I'm a big 360 guy (lukewarm on the XBOne) but never liked the original Xbox, having a pretty solid gaming PC in the early 2000s, there wasn't really a reason for me to own one. And frankly found the "bigger is better!" mentality pretty dumb, never dug the big bulky console or original controller. Had a handful of games I really like, Halo and Morrowind in particular. But again, I could (and did) play those on my PC with a far better experience.

The Wii U is my least favorite Nintendo console, and it's not even really close. I really didn't like the convoluted "Miiverse" interface and felt many of the games were just niche and unappealing. Most of the good ones found there way on Switch anyway. Third party support was abysmal outside basically Ubisoft and the indies hadn't really jumped on board with Nintendo consoles at that point. Didn't dig the bulky "Gamepad" controller which to me just looked and felt like a glorified Fischer Price toy. The "off-screen console gaming" was fairly new at that point but was somewhat irritating that you couldn't (or at least I couldn't) play from even the next room.

Still, as a Nintendo fan first and foremost I think I still *slightly* favor it over the Xbox. It was the first HD Nintendo console, and still had plenty of great and underrated titles. Nintendoland had some fun moments, NES Remix was a cool retro throwback, and Xenoblade X I contend is one of the more underrated, overlooked RPGs in the last decade. 

Yeah in spite of the Wii U's many problems, from its slow and awkward interface, to the poor choices they made with a lot of their software, to the painful game droughts, as a Nintendo fan I also still can't bring myself to hate it as it still had some really special games that contained that signature Nintendo magic you simply don't get from other consoles. 

curl-6 said:

Yeah in spite of the Wii U's many problems, from its slow and awkward interface, to the poor choices they made with a lot of their software, to the painful game droughts, as a Nintendo fan I also still can't bring myself to hate it as it still had some really special games that contained that signature Nintendo magic you simply don't get from other consoles. 

Sadly the WiiU's interface was held back by the SSD's (eMMC) performance, it just didn't have the throughput and latency needed even compared to a mechanical hard drive.

Honestly, I barely touched my WiiU, did complete Breath of the Wild though, but that is pretty much it.

To be fair, I did love the off-screen gaming on the handheld, being Nintendo's first Hybrid, it was a very cool feature not needing to tie up the TV.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--