By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS vs Ninty's lowest selling console: Xbox vs Wii U

Which is better?

Wii U 46 48.94%

Original Xbox 48 51.06%

Total:94

Xbox was so very unquie for it's time. There was a lot of new fresh ip's that really made the system shine.

Halo
Jade Empire
KOTOR
PGR
Fable
Pyschonaughts
Forza

And then it saw existing franchises coming to the consoles for the first time.

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Half-Life 2
Splinter. Cell
Grand Theft Auto

Voted Xbox Hands Down

我是广州人

Around the Network
Ashadelo said:

Xbox was so very unquie for it's time. There was a lot of new fresh ip's that really made the system shine.

Halo
Jade Empire
KOTOR
PGR
Fable
Pyschonaughts
Forza

And then it saw existing franchises coming to the consoles for the first time.

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Half-Life 2
Splinter. Cell
Grand Theft Auto

Voted Xbox Hands Down

Splinter Cell was a new IP and it came on Xbox first, though.  

The Wii U was a massive failure that didn't do much for the industry as a whole.The OG Xbox have birth to Halo and Fable, not really a competition.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Pemalite said:

Xbox.

* Halo: Combat Evolved.
* Halo 2.
* Fable: The Lost Chapters.
* Conker.
* KOTOR.
* Morrowind.
* Jade Empire.
* Ninja Gaiden.
* Oddworld.
* Chronicles of Riddick.
* Jet Set Radio.

WiiU

* Breath of the Wild.
* Smash.
* Mario Kart.
* Xenoblade.
* Donkey Kong
* New Super Mario Bros U

For me the OG Xbox definitely edges out the WiiU... Because it was a pretty ground breaking box in many ways that defined future console hardware.
* Online Multiplayer.
* Hard Drive storage.

Where-as the WiiU had a relatively gimmicky controller that didn't aid itself much to gameplay. (Not from a lack of trying though!)

I enjoyed 3D world, not gonna lie..

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

xbox HALF LIFE 2

steve

Around the Network

Don't have much direct experience with the OG Xbox, or Xbox in general.
But I'll basically take my response from the Vita vs. Xbox thread.
Basically the KOTOR and Battlefront games are enough to make me pick the Xbox, plus some other third-party games from the time.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wii U by far for me. It had:

- The best 2D platformer I've ever played (DK Tropical Freeze)
- The best action game I've ever played (The Wonderful 101)
- Two of the best open world games I've ever played (Zelda Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade X)
- The best couch co-op game I've ever played (StarFox Zero)
- One of the best Hack N'Slash games I've ever played (Bayonetta 2)
- One of the best and original competitive online games I've played (Splatoon)
- The turn based JRPG with the best combat system I've ever experienced (Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE)
- One of the most original and immersive survival horror games ever (ZombiU)
- The biggest Mario Kart game (before 8 Deluxe)

The Xbox didn't have a single "best something something ever" for me. But it's not just that. No, no, no... the Wii U had much more going on for i. It was also backwards compatible with the Wii so I could play all of its games; it had a pretty big Virtual Console that allowed me to experience tons of classic games; Off-TV was incredibly handy not only for gaming, but for other activities like watching Youtube, Netflix or browsing the internet (I have probably over 1000 hours spent on that alone); it had lots of great indies like Shovel Knight, The Swapper, Pushmo World, Affordable Space Adventures... and while they were not very numerous, it had some great multiplats like Tekken Tag 2, Black Ops 2 and Darksiders I and II.

The Xbox was not a bad console at all. It had some great exclusives in Halo 1, Halo 2, Fable, Morrowind, The Chronicles of Riddick, tons of multiplatformers and graphics well beyond what the PS2 and GC could display. But to me all of that falls VERY short on what the Wii U gave me.

While I love Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions. That console sucks shit to even use much like Wii. Xbox still has Jet Set Radio Future, Metal Wolf Chaos, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shenmue II, Otogi 1-2, and a more fun console to use. Xbox for me.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I voted Wii U. I'm still playing mine. I feel it is a pretty underrated console, especially the controller. I never played Wind Waker on Gamecube, and I can't imagine trying to do so without the map constantly displayed. Navigating while sailing must have sucked before.

For the Xbox, it was a Halo and Halo 2 machine for me and my friends in college. Very little else got played. I am not super familiar with the full library, but I feel like most of it is also available on PC.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

This is an incredibly hard choice for me.

I quite like both consoles; neither had an enormous number of games that appealed to me, but they both had a strong nucleus of excellent titles that I'd never want to go without, like Halo 1/2, Star Wars Battlefront, Doom 3, and Panzer Dragoon Orta on Xbox, and BOTW, Bayonetta 2, Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon on Wii U.

I actually found the Wii U to have the more comfortable controller of the two, but on the other hand it had the battery life of gnat, while the Xbox had a less sluggish and bloated OS, and was by far the more groundbreaking system.

I'd say the Wii U's elite cadre of top games is slightly better than Xbox's, but on the other hand actually owning one during its time was quite frustrating due to the constant droughts and the disappointment of it not living up to my pre-release expectations or its own predecessor. Having an Xbox back during the 6th gen was significantly less irritating.

I'm gonna withhold my vote for now, this one is too close to call.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 May 2021