By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Over 25 Projects in Development at Playstation Studios, Half of Them Are New IP's

Also the article mentions Ember lab thinking of their next PS5 game

“Our groundwork was on the PS4,” says Josh Grier. “But looking at game two, focusing on taking advantage of the SSD and building mechanics and tools around that, will be really fun. I know for sure we haven't fully taken advantage of how actually fast it is—we were getting a lot of benefits of it being just out-of-the-box better. But I think you can push it even more.”

Around the Network

Words are cheap. Show, don't tell.

Kakadu18 said:

That's alot of games. My question would be: in what timeframe are they all releasing? Next two years or three?

At least 3-4 years I'm thinking. Remember The Last of Us Part II started development in 2014. And I think we knew of it publicly since at least 2016.

I have a feeling these 25 projects will be the vast majority of PlayStation Studios games released in the next four years. I hope some of these game are smaller projects. I don't like the talk lately of Sony wanting to focus almost exclusively on big-budget and cinematic games.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

shikamaru317 said:

Some of these 25+ won't even release in the next 4 years probably:

-It seems like Naughty Dog is just getting started on their next game/games, as apparently the whole studio pretty much was on TLOU 2 from 2017 to 2020. TLOU 2 took 6 years to develop, from 2014 to 2020, though it didn't enter full development with the whole studio working on it until after Uncharted Lost Legacy released in 2017. With Druckmann recently implying in interviews that Naughty Dog is still trying to decide what their next big game will be (TLOU 3, a new IP, or a new game in a legacy IP), and Schreier reporting that Naughty Dog had been co-developing a new Uncharted with Bend, which might be cancelled now since Bend was asked to be moved back to being independent so that they could work on a new IP, I'd say we could be looking at as much as 5 or 6 years before the next Naughty Dog game releases (other than TLOU 2's standalone multiplayer, which has been in development for awhile already), unless that Uncharted game was in development for longer than I think and Naughty Dog decided to find a new co-development studio to take over, instead of cancelling it. 

-Sucker Punch took 6 years to develop Ghost of Tsushima, from summer 2014 to summer 2020. If Sucker Punch is doing a sequel next, it might only take like 4 years, but if they decide to do another new IP where they have to start from scratch with world building and such, it could be another 6 years before their next game releases.

-Polyphony is a notoriously slow studio, and though they will be releasing GT7 in 2022, they are reportedly working on an open world, Forza Horizon like racing game as well, and if that rumor is true, that could easily take them 4-6 years after GT7 releases to release, judging by their past release schedule.

-Guerilla Games moved into a much larger building in 2020, reportedly so that they could become a 2 team studio again. If this new 2nd team is working on a new IP, it could take them as much as 6 years to release, seeing as Horizon: Zero Dawn was in development for 6 years as a new IP.

Sony will definitely have some smaller games in the pipeline, from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd party. At least 3 of their first party studios are likely doing smaller games right now, namely Media Molecule, PixelOpus, and Japan Studio (which is just the AstroBot team now after the other teams were all laid off or retired). They will likely have more 2nd party single A and AA projects coming as well, plus you have 3rd party AA projects like Kena: Bridge of Spirits coming. 

That's not true at all. GG has been building their second team since 2018/2019. I wouldn't be surprised to see their second project this year. 

shikamaru317 said:

I thought they only announced plans to expand and build a second team in 2018, but didn't actually move into a building large enough to expand until 2020. 

https://wccftech.com/guerrilla-games-expand-release-faster/

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/08/random_guerrilla_games_moved_into_its_new_office_and_raised_a_flag_in_dramatic_fashion

Their second project was in development before they relocated to a new studio. Otherwise, why start hiring in 2018/19?

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I feel like we can guess a good many of them, let's see:

1. new Bend Studio game that Schreier recently leaked (likely new IP)
2. Guerilla Games Horizon Forbidden West
3. Guerilla Game's 2nd team game (new Killzone? new IP?)
4. Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart from Insomniac
5. Spider-Man 2 from Insomniac
6. possible Sunset Overdrive sequel from Insomniac, since Sony recently renewed the copyright
7. Next Astro game from the Astrobot Sony Japan team, the only team left at Sony Japan Studio now
8. PSVR 2.0 Game from London Studio (likely new IP)
9. Next Media Molecule project (likely new IP)
10. The Last of Us 2 standalone multiplayer
11. The Last of Us 3 (recently confirmed to be in early development by Druckmann)
12. The next Uncharted that Schreier said Naughty Dog was co-developing with Bend, before Bend asked to be moved off of it to develop their own game, assuming they found a new co-development partner studio (2nd party studio?) instead of cancelling it outright (I hope they didn't cancel it)
13. next game from PixelOpus (likely new IP)
14. GT7, from Polyphony
15. the open world Forza Horizon clone GT game that was leaked to be in early development, from Polyphony
16. God of War 5, from Sony Santa Monica
17. MLB The Show 2022, from Sony San Diego
18. Sucker Punch next game (hopefully Ghost of Tsushima sequel, but could be a new IP or a new Infamous)

19. Likely new IP from Bluepoint Games (supposedly they have been wanting to make a new IP of their own instead of continuing to do nothing but remakes/remasters for Sony)

That leaves 6+ unknown games, some are probably PS VR 2.0 games, the others 2nd party games for PS5, most of which will have to be new IP for the "more than half are new IP" to be true. 

Ugh this is so dull if that list were true.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Curious, is that including the few games already released from the 25 or starting from now? 25 is a lot of titles coming out from now if so.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 14 May 2021

Most of the new IPs will be small fluff games, so the number alone doesn't really excite me. Here's hoping that there will be some new hits from the big guns.

Dante9 said:

Most of the new IPs will be small fluff games, so the number alone doesn't really excite me. Here's hoping that there will be some new hits from the big guns.

You don't know that. Unless you consider Returnal a small fluff game.

Azzanation said:

Curious, is that including the few games already released from the 25 or starting from now? 25 is a lot of titles coming out from now if so.

Why would he list titles that already released as in development?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."