By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Over 25 Projects in Development at Playstation Studios, Half of Them Are New IP's

Kakadu18 said:

That's alot of games. My question would be: in what timeframe are they all releasing? Next two years or three?

History would say they're due for release in the next 4 years which equates to around 6 games per year. 

Around the Network
Otter said:
Kakadu18 said:

That's alot of games. My question would be: in what timeframe are they all releasing? Next two years or three?

History would say they're due for release in the next 4 years which equates to around 6 games per year. 

That would be good.

It's gona be a good gen for Sony.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Good to hear, glad to see all the of the big players with big plans for years to come. I believe some of these, like Returnal, are 3rd party exclusives grouped with the "Playstation Studios" due to Sony publishing and likely owning the IP.  But that means little to me because an exclusive is an exclusive, and an owned IP is an owned IP.  Either way I see it as an investment from Sony and does not require the studio to be 1st party to be valid as such. Pretty much the same way I view Astral Chain or Pokemon for Nintendo.

But I digress, good to hear and hopefully they deliver.  I hope this means Sony is already abandoning their recent metacritic score obsession and allow the new IPs to grow if they only score high 70s or low 80s.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

So no Omega Boost remake? Funding a ZOE3? I hope it's no more end of the world in the forest games.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

The number itself is not meaningful, we have no idea when those games are coming out and easy to classify any game in concept creation as a game "in development" that could take 7 years to be really done (or kinda done cof cof Cyberpunk)

The information about half of them being more IPs though is awesome. I don't mind some of them being medium budget at all, but the idea behind new IPs really excites me. Also nice to see they are from different genres, Sony has already too much action adventure titles time to explore other things 

shikamaru317 said:

I feel like we can guess a good many of them, let's see:

6. possible Sunset Overdrive sequel from Insomniac, since Sony recently renewed the copyright
7. Next Astro game from the Astrobot Sony Japan team, the only team left at Sony Japan Studio now
8. VR Game from London Studio (likely new IP)
9. Next Media Molecule project (likely new IP)
10. The Last of Us 2 standalone multiplayer
11. The Last of Us 3 (recently confirmed to be in early development by Druckmann)
12. The next Uncharted that Schreier said Naughty Dog was co-developing with Bend, before Bend asked to be moved off of it to develop their own game, assuming they found a new co-development partner studio (2nd party studio?) instead of cancelling it outright (I hope they didn't cancel it)
13. next game from PixelOpus (likely new IP)

That leaves 6+ unknown games, some are probably PS VR 2.0 games, the others 2nd party games for PS5, most of which will have to be new IP for the "more than half are new IP" to be true. 

- I doubt we get any sort of sequel for Sunset Overdrive. I think Insomniac would be working on a PSVR2 game as one of their next projects.

- London Studio is rumored to be working on a new AAA IP rather than a PSVR2 project. 

- I could see Media Molecule working on a smaller, AA new IP, alongside a PSVR2 project, while supporting Dreams. 

- TLOU3 is not confirmed, they have the story outline, but they're still in pre production for their next project. I would wager its a new IP. 

- Schreier has revealed the Uncharted project never really materialized. If it were to happen, I think the rumored second team from ND could be working on it, as I can't see Sony dropping one of their biggest IP's especially with a Uncharted movie coming up.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 12 May 2021

IcaroRibeiro said:

The number itself is not meaningful, we have no idea when those games are coming out and easy to classify any game in concept creation as a game "in development" that could take 7 years to be really done (or kinda done cof cof Cyberpunk)

The information about half of them being more IPs though is awesome. I don't mind some of them being medium budget at all, but the idea behind new IPs really excites me. Also nice to see they are from different genres, Sony has already too much action adventure titles time to explore other things 

I think its talking about whatever is "next" for each studio. I'd say most of these projects will be out in the next 2 - 3 years.

You think we're getting any remakes/reboots of classic franchises?

It would be great to have Socom, Motorstorm, Resistance & Syphon Filter return. It would add a bit more variety to the PS5 catalogue while also being viable for commercial and critical success.

The more games the better! I've never purchased a PS products before, because there haven't been enough games that looked appealing to me and because I was ignorant that you can use Xbox style controllers (I hate PS controller design). That second issue has been addressed. The PS4 was the closest iv even been tempted to buy in, but it didn't have enough games to push me over. Perhaps the PS5 will in the coming year or two. Then again, I didn't have Gamepass PC until roughly a year ago, so having access to all those games for cheap will consume much of my gaming time that Switch doesn't already consume.