By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Let's settle this once for all...

Which generation is Switch ?

WiiU and Switch are both gen. 8th 34 33.66%

WiiU is gen. 8th and Switch is gen. 9th 56 55.45%

None of them !! 11 10.89%

Total:101

I would say 8th gen. because I dont see the switch as a succesor of the wii u, but as a consolidation of the current handheld and home console nintendo where offering.

To elaborate, I say games define a generation or what games are capable during that generation. The capability's of the switch are pretty much the same as wii u so the games are very similar. The same as why the x1 and x1x are the same gen even though one is 4x the capabilities, the games are the same and neither does anything the other cant, just higher resolution.

Now the switch was barely getting some very few if any games the ps4/x1 where getting, I would assume its not gona get any game at all that comes from here onwards as its no longer a resolution issue anymore. It will be limited by things like ssd, raytracing and what ever does differentiate the gens.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Along with "is Switch a console or a handheld" this is one of the most pointless and overdone arguments on VGChartz, and the gaming forum sphere in general.

Amnesia said:

Strange though that people want to separate so much these two machines, they have nearly same capacities, same games, same size in hand, main concept is the same except that one is limited to 12 meters, the other one is infinite distance from dock. Games of the WiiU were all ported to Switch, Nintendo has proposed the "retro compatibility" where you pay two times full price a same game, and you all decided to deny this and call it "9th gen" instead.

They are totally separate.

Their internal architecture is nothing alike. Switch is significantly more capable. Many Wii U games and not on Switch and thousands of Switch games are not on Wii U. One is a home console with a screen in the controller, the other is a mobile device where all the processing hardware is housed in a handheld form factor. 

Conflating the two is like saying the PS2 and Vita are the same.

eva01beserk said:

The capability's of the switch are pretty much the same as wii u 

They're not.

Switch is significantly more capable than Wii U. The latter couldn't handle ports of games like Witcher 3 or Doom Eternal.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 May 2021

Are the "classic retro nostalgia mini consoles" considered part of original gen and added to sales of that platform?

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 02 May 2021

shit changes all the time, so the definition of a console generation is not properly defined and therefore malleable.

That said, NES was Gen 3, SNES was Gen 4, N64 was Gen 5, Gamecube was Gen 6, Wii was Gen 7, and WiiU was Gen 8. Switch, PS5, and Xbox One are all currently on the market as Gen 9. At least that's how I see it and how my game database categorizes it. We'll reconvene when the next Nintendo console/platform releases. Until then, Switch is Gen 9 in my eyes.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

The home page doesn't really call it 9th at all. It's current.

Switch is pretty hard to peg. As a handheld, it's Gen IX. It's so far beyond the capabilities of either the 3DS or Vita. But as a console, it seems more like yet another eighth-gen piece of Nintendo hardware. I personally call it 9th, but it's tough.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Leynos said:

The switch is neither 8th nor 9th gen. WIsh people would stop putting it with traditional console generations. It's a 1ST Generation Hyrbid Nintendo console. It's in a category of its own.

People keep saying this. Like the Sega Nomad never existed.  The thing was a portable, it played the exact same games as a home console with no compromise, it connected to a TV, it allowed for a second player. It did everything the Switch does except it did it decades earlier.

And would you consider the Switch Lite a hybrid?

Would you consider the PSTV (PS Vita that only works on a TV) a console?

Where's the line?

Nintendo consoles are on a weird scale. They always last about five years before there's a successor. The Xbox and Playstation consoles (especially after the 7th gen) last a bit longer. The only reason the Wii U kinda lined up with everyone else is because the Wii came out a year after the Xbox 360 and its successor came earlier but still only a year before. The Wii U fizzled out rather quickly but still within Nintendo's usual time frame. The PS4 and Xbox One arrived later and lasted much longer. Now we have a 2017 console that will probably have a successor in the next couple of years, living life amongst consoles that are fresh out of the gate and will be around for another seven or so years.

There's a good possibility that the next Switch will be ending its life right when the PS5 and XS are ending their lives. When that happens, what do we call it? We have an 8th gen Nintendo console along side 9th gen consoles? Or do we have a 10th gen Nintendo Console along side 9th gen consoles? AND the 3DS was clearly an 8th gen console. Is the Switch a successor to that? Is it a 9th gen portable/8th gen home console? I'm giving myself a headache.

One thing's for sure: 9th gen (aside from the Switch--if you consider it a 9th gen console) has been extremely boring thus far. It's hard to have an interesting conversation about the PS5 and XS at this point in time.

Amnesia said:

"the same games as the PS5 and Xbox"

Oh really ?.. I am waiting for that. It is not like if we were already barely seeing true powerful 8th gen games coming to the Switch.

Why are you talking about power ? I am speaking about library.

d21lewis said:
Leynos said:

The switch is neither 8th nor 9th gen. WIsh people would stop putting it with traditional console generations. It's a 1ST Generation Hyrbid Nintendo console. It's in a category of its own.

People keep saying this. Like the Sega Nomad never existed.  The thing was a portable, it played the exact same games as a home console with no compromise, it connected to a TV, it allowed for a second player. It did everything the Switch does except it did it decades earlier.

And would you consider the Switch Lite a hybrid?

Would you consider the PSTV (PS Vita that only works on a TV) a console?

Where's the line?

You can't read the part where I said 1st generation Nintendo console/system?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Mnementh said:
Amnesia said:

Strange though that people want to separate so much these two machines, they have nearly same capacities, same games, same size in hand, main concept is the same except that one is limited to 12 meters, the other one is infinite distance from dock. Games of the WiiU were all ported to Switch, Nintendo has proposed the "retro compatibility" where you pay two times full price a same game, and you all decided to deny this and call it "9th gen" instead.

As the Switch is so similar in concept and tech to the WiiU, that must be the reason it does sell so similar.

BraLoD said:

Switch is a handheld, don't worry about it.

That is why the Switch Lite sells so much more than the hybrid model that includes a costly connection to TV handheld gamers don't need.

mutantsushi said:

Nintendo itself has long been clear they are in no way actually competing against the other console twins.

And Switch actually is a rebranded NVIDIA Shield (launched same year as PS4) with low power handheld mode.
Why would Shield's hardware generation change just because it's rebranded under Nintendo?

And this must be the reason the Switch sell as well as the NVIDIA Shield did.

"But Mnementh, Switch sells because it has a Nintendo logo on the package."

As did the WiiU.

Switch is much more capable than a Wii U hardware-wise. Docked it's closer to Xbox One but still a ways away. Undocked raw power it's comparable to Wii U but still more capable. More modern chipset. Wii U used a GPU from 2008 and a  modified CPU from 2000.Switch uses hardware more modern than Xbox One or PS4.  Switch supports a lot of features Wii U could not do. Switch does not use Nintendo's craptastic API GX. It uses Nvidia NVN which supports OpenGL/Vulkan. Why else do you think modern engines like UE4/5 support it?

I'm not one to say power is the sole deciding factor on generation. Only point of this post is to point out Switch is not only a fair bit more powerful than Wii U but much more modern and offers features Wii U was incapable of power aside.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!