By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Let's settle this once for all...

Which generation is Switch ?

WiiU and Switch are both gen. 8th 34 33.66%

WiiU is gen. 8th and Switch is gen. 9th 56 55.45%

None of them !! 11 10.89%

Total:101

So I see on HOME page that Switch is very clearly considered as a 9th gen machine.

Please explain me your arguments (anyone, not only the person who made this new graphic) for putting WiiU on 8th and Switch on 9th because really, I still don't get it after 31 years into video games. No one has yet convinced me.

Around the Network

Switch is in its middle life cycle, will keep selling until at least 2024-2025, and will have probzbly the same games as the PS5 and Xbox, thus same gen

"the same games as the PS5 and Xbox"

Oh really ?.. I am waiting for that. It is not like if we were already barely seeing true powerful 8th gen games coming to the Switch.

On the homepage it is listed under "current gen", which doesn't outright mean ninth generation but it doesn't matter anyway. The sales of the Switch should be compared with the PS5 and Xbox Series X as they are the three major consoles currently being sold. Putting current sales numbers for the Switch on the eighth generation tab would be inconvenient and bad site design.

you are wrong

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

I don't think it's a generation thing anymore as Sony and MS follow a different release schedule than Nintendo does. I am sure when the Switch 2 comes out, they will remove the Switch sales but keep PS5/Xbox sales figures. It looks wonky but if the companies follow a different release schedule, there isn't much that you can do...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

By the time the Switch was released, the Wii U was all but forgotten. Outside of BotW there was basically zero overlap between the two consoles. It makes no sense to consider them to be of the same generation.

Unless you want to shove the Switch into gen 8.5 or something because it released so much sooner than the PS5/XBS... but at that point the definition of a console generation would become entirely arbitrary (not that it isn't already anyways) and you may as well call PS5 a gen 9.1 console because it released two days after the XBS

sonnyb123 said:

On the homepage it is listed under "current gen", which doesn't outright mean ninth generation but it doesn't matter anyway. The sales of the Switch should be compared with the PS5 and Xbox Series X as they are the three major consoles currently being sold. Putting current sales numbers for the Switch on the eighth generation tab would be inconvenient and bad site design.

You are right they say "current" and I agree with that, but we both now that in a few years it will be archived here under "9th gen" next to PS5 and XSX if they keep it like this.

Also, now that you give me this idea...I will open a similar thread asking people to vote if PS2 is a 6th or 7th gen machine, it was still selling very well when the XBOX360 came out, and even the successor PS3 was selling well slower during the same period 2006-2007.

The switch is neither 8th nor 9th gen. WIsh people would stop putting it with traditional console generations. It's a 1ST Generation Hyrbid Nintendo console. It's in a category of its own.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I've learned that...everybody is right and wrong in this discussion. There is no set in stone way to dictate this anymore and to be quite honest, I've stopped caring.