By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Let's settle this once for all...

Which generation is Switch ?

WiiU and Switch are both gen. 8th 33 33.00%

WiiU is gen. 8th and Switch is gen. 9th 56 56.00%

None of them !! 11 11.00%

Total:100

I've learned that...everybody is right and wrong in this discussion. There is no set in stone way to dictate this anymore and to be quite honest, I've stopped caring.

Around the Network
Leynos said:

The switch is neither 8th nor 9th gen. WIsh people would stop putting it with traditional console generations. It's a 1ST Generation Hyrbid Nintendo console. It's in a category of its own.

Strange though that people want to separate so much these two machines, they have nearly same capacities, same games, same size in hand, main concept is the same except that one is limited to 12 meters, the other one is infinite distance from dock. Games of the WiiU were all ported to Switch, Nintendo has proposed the "retro compatibility" where you pay two times full price a same game, and you all decided to deny this and call it "9th gen" instead.

Current PB on Secret of Mana remake : 2h27 (2nd)
Strongest worldwide achievement on TGM : 1st European S13 rank
Fastest TGM3 MASTER in Europe : rank Master V in 5min10
Western record on TGM3 EASY : 1484
Current PB on Power Ranger (Game Gear) : 10min06 (World Record)

Non-geek activity : ThermalHungary

The Switch portable is.. portable only. So it is Gen 6.
The switch can change between TV and portable it is Gen 1.

The switch has a hell of alot of overlap with the PS4. It has very little overlap with the PS5 or XS. The only two I can think of are Control and Hitman - which are "online" only.

If the "Switch Pro" has games not available on the Switch.. does that make it Gen 10?
It would actually be possible for a Switch to come out in 2022 and say 2027 along side the PS6 and the XBZZZRETY or whatever xbox calls their next one. That would put the switch 2027 at "Gen 11" but the PS6 as Gen... what? Would it be skipping from 9 to 11?

So in essence it is Gen 1, 6, 8, 9, and possible next year 10. Just put it in its own category and stop comparing it to PS/XB.

edit: Also apparently VGC considers it gen 8 AND nine.

When it is set to "current" it is switch vs PS5.  When you change it to legacy it is... Switch vs PS4.

Yet when set to "8th" generation it is showing the Wii U instead. Is the Wii U not legacy?

What is Legacy?

Last edited by Bandorr - on 02 May 2021

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Amnesia said:
Leynos said:

The switch is neither 8th nor 9th gen. WIsh people would stop putting it with traditional console generations. It's a 1ST Generation Hyrbid Nintendo console. It's in a category of its own.

Strange though that people want to separate so much these two machines, they have nearly same capacities, same games, same size in hand, main concept is the same except that one is limited to 12 meters, the other one is infinite distance from dock. Games of the WiiU were all ported to Switch, Nintendo has proposed the "retro compatibility" where you pay two times full price a same game, and you all decided to deny this and call it "9th gen" instead.

Wii is a 7th Generation console. Wii U is the direct successor to Wii and the first console of the 8th generation. 3DS is the first dedicated handheld of its generation as a direct successor to DS. The switch is a successor not to just Wii U but also 3DS. The switch is not just a successor to Wii U or 3DS but Nintendo's entire console and handheld divisions. Merging the two departments internally. That merge gave us the Switch. The Nintendo Switch in both hardware/internal structure of Nintendo HQ and marketing. It is a 1ST GENERATION Hybrid Nintendo System. Period.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Amnesia said:

So I see on HOME page that Switch is very clearly considered as a 9th gen machine.

Please explain me your arguments (anyone, not only the person who made this new graphic) for putting WiiU on 8th and Switch on 9th because really, I still don't get it after 31 years into video games. No one has yet convinced me.

I don't see why this is difficult to grasp.  Next console = next generation.  It's that simple.

I'm inclined to believe that you actually do "get it".  You simply don't agree.  It's not hard to understand though.

Around the Network

Welps, I've always maintain my stance that Sony and Microsoft introducing the Pro consoles kinda medled with the so far said definition of the usual console generation. Switch released not too far after them so I encapsulated this phenomenon as the 8.5 Gen.

Still the debate will never get a right answer since there's none to be made because companies obviously care only about their planned schedule, not the one gamers have in mind.
Anywoo, if the Switch Pro (or whatever) offers a substantial increase to the base model, I could see myself placing it in the 9th Gen category alongside the PS5/XboSeX simply for the closer release date to these consoles

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Wii U was a 8th generation console.
Switch is the successor to the Wii U.
Therefore Switch is a 9th generation console.

Switch is a handheld, don't worry about it.

Bandorr said:

lso apparently VGC considers it gen 8 AND nine.

When it is set to "current" it is switch vs PS5.  When you change it to legacy it is... Switch vs PS4.

Yet when set to "8th" generation it is showing the Wii U instead. Is the Wii U not legacy?

What is Legacy?

Well, the chart there was comparing Switch to PS4/XBO until yesterday, so I guess that's "legacy".

The release period of the Switch (and likely it's successor) means that it inevitably competes with two different console generations over the course of its lifetime, and it also means that comparing lifetime sales numbers between it and its competitors will always be 'unfair'. Hence why keep the comparison with 8th gen systems up there, because the console's sold fast enough to look decent against those despite releasing 3 and a half years later - whereas the current comparison with 9th gen consoles looks quite silly.

Nintendo itself has long been clear they are in no way actually competing against the other console twins.

And Switch actually is a rebranded NVIDIA Shield (launched same year as PS4) with low power handheld mode.
Why would Shield's hardware generation change just because it's rebranded under Nintendo?

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 02 May 2021