By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Apr 11-17 - Adjustments - Switch Sells 461K, PS5 Sells 217K, XS Sells 98K

Xbox Series still not looking too hot. As well as getting more supply of the X online, they need to start putting out some first party software soon.

After the mediocre performance of the Xbone they don't seem to be trying as hard as they could to turn things around.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 April 2021

Around the Network
yo33331 said:

third time asking
Will the PS4 be adjusted up ? it should be 115.8M sold with this last week of april 17th

Sony's Shipped number was at 115.9 as of march 31st this is 2 weeks later but sold to consumers not just retailers. 

yo33331 said:
Chicho said:

Sony's Shipped number was at 115.9 as of march 31st this is 2 weeks later but sold to consumers not just retailers. 

the figure here on vgchartz is 115.4 sold until mid april. It have to be adjusted because 115.9 are shipped until 31st march. which means around 115.7M have to be sold until 31st march. with the sales of the two weeks of april it have to be 115.8M.

Why? How do you know only 200k PS4s are on shelves? 

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I'm way more happy about Nintendo's success than I have any right to be. It just, makes me smile, can't help it. I love the content.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

yo33331 said:
Eagle367 said:

The PS5 is selling much 4x units of the PS4 even 5x sometimes weekly and has 600k on store shelves.

Therefore it is normal for PS4 to have 200k max on store shelves, even those are much .. with weekly numbers around 50k, it is very hard to believe more than 200k will be on store shelves.

That's just wishful thinking though, not a sound argument

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
spynx said:

At this time, Switch is running like Usain Bolt on steroids.

So like Ben Johnson?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

yo33331 said:
Eagle367 said:

The PS5 is selling much 4x units of the PS4 even 5x sometimes weekly and has 600k on store shelves.

Therefore it is normal for PS4 to have 200k max on store shelves, even those are much .. with weekly numbers around 50k, it is very hard to believe more than 200k will be on store shelves.

200k is a small amount for a system still selling available worldwide, I know it's at the end of its life but it's not dead yet.

"shipped" units will include those on store shelves, but also in storage for the retailers, and in transit to the retailers (essentially as soon as it leaves Sony's legal hands)... depending on the reporting method this may even extend up to international shipping which can be 2-4 weeks just for the transit without customs  handling times (though I believe Sony started reporting "sales" back in 2006/7, which most likely means the units leave Sonys hands from subsidiaries in US/Europe etc, but without working for them I can't be sure)

For reference, the 3DS shipment LTD in March 2020 was 75,770k, whereas VGC had the sales at approx. 125k below that.... at the time the 3DS was only selling 1/4 of what the PS4 is now. (<15k per week).
I wouldnt expect the stock:weekly sales ratio of PS4 to match that of 3DS (handhelds are easier to stock due to smaller form, this doesn't mean half-the-size = double-stock but it will make a difference) but having a 6-10 week discrepancy doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Last edited by HigHurtenflurst - on 30 April 2021

yo33331 said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

200k is a small amount for a system still selling available worldwide, I know it's at the end of its life but it's not dead yet.

"shipped" units will include those on store shelves, but also in storage for the retailers, and in transit to the retailers (essentially as soon as it leaves Sony's legal hands)... depending on the reporting method this may even extend up to international shipping which can be 2-4 weeks just for the transit without customs  handling times (though I believe Sony started reporting "sales" back in 2006/7, which most likely means the units leave Sonys hands from subsidiaries in US/Europe etc, but without working for them I can't be sure)

For reference, the 3DS shipment LTD in March 2020 was 75,770k, whereas VGC had the sales at approx. 125k below that.... at the time the 3DS was only selling 1/4 of what the PS4 is now. (<15k per week).
I wouldnt expect the stock:weekly sales ratio of PS4 to match that of 3DS (handhelds are easier to stock due to smaller form, this doesn't mean half-the-size = double-stock but it will make a difference) but having a 6-10 week discrepancy doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

last time we received PS4 numbers (after the new year) vgchartz number was adjusted and the difference between sold and shipped was something like 200 or 300k. It doesn't make sense now the number to be double or triple ..

VGC has the PS4 selling more than it shipped since for all 4 quarters of last calendar year, (shipped 6.2m for the year, sold 8.6m, which means the stock level in Jan 2020 was 2-3mil, or about 15 weeks worth) everything was in high demand from March-Dec, PS4 stock may indeed have gone very low. (Sony was super focused on gettting PS5 out for the holidays so may have neglected PS4) but until it gets discontinued there have to be some quarters where it ships more that sold.

600k is not an unreasonable discrepancy, and 200k is a very low amount of stock for a system still selling 40-50k. It seems to be widely available now as I don't hear people saying PS4 is out of stock much like the PS5 is.

Switch in NA alone = nearly double Xbox Series worldwide, and XD sales in Europe only 5k more than PS4.

PS5 + XS more than 1/5th of the way to the threshold of my bet, with 56 months to go.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 April 2021

mk7sx said:
mk7sx said:

VGChartz Top Years W1-15

Adjustments push NSW 2021 Q1 up to 5,959K - biggest non-holiday quarter ever.  

Buffer over 2020 is now down to 644K and will be eaten away through week 19, but only needs to do 383K a week min to fall behind, so this buffer will hold.  From week 20 - 37, NSW 2021 should have the advantage as 2020 succumbs to supply issues.  

-Healthy signs right now that NSW 2021 will enter the shopping season in Q4 with a buffer over 2020.

-NSW needs to average 454K per week to match Q2 2020

-NSW needs to average 464K per week to hit 12M by the halfway point of week 26

-NSW needs to average 388K per week for the next 8 weeks to be the fastest to 10M (23 weeks total; NDS 07 & NSW 20 did it in 24)

-7M will be achieved in W16 - fastest ever (NDS 07 & 08 & NSW 20 - 17 weeks)

-8M will likely be achieved in W18 - fastest ever (NDS 07 & NSW 20 - 19 weeks)

-VGC seems to be projecting US NPD April at 690-700K.

Added PS4 2017 since its above NSW 2019.  NDS 06 and 10 could be added too as they were >20M years - I'll consider it, but this list will eventually be dominated by NDS/NSW and everything else way behind.

Also added a rolling 52W calculation for NSW 2020 and 2021.  NSW 2021 finally hit NDS peak figures and crossed 29M mark in early March.  We might see it surge past that in June/July and crack 30M.  NDS peak is calendar year 2007 (2008 is 53W).

Made that data into a bar graph. I added the PS2's shipment data between Janurary 1st-March 31st of 2005 to be able to include every console in history. Unfortunately there's no sell-through data of the PS2'S first quarter anywhere on the internet so I decided to use shipments even though it is subject to be completely wrong when it comes to actual sell-through between that time period. Plus I did a little estimation for the PS2's shipment data since it doesn't include the time period between March 31st and April 17th. But other than that all the sell-through data is spot on.