By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Apr 11-17 - Adjustments - Switch Sells 461K, PS5 Sells 217K, XS Sells 98K

javi741 said:
mk7sx said:

Added PS4 2017 since its above NSW 2019.  NDS 06 and 10 could be added too as they were >20M years - I'll consider it, but this list will eventually be dominated by NDS/NSW and everything else way behind.

Also added a rolling 52W calculation for NSW 2020 and 2021.  NSW 2021 finally hit NDS peak figures and crossed 29M mark in early March.  We might see it surge past that in June/July and crack 30M.  NDS peak is calendar year 2007 (2008 is 53W).

Made that data into a bar graph. I added the PS2's shipment data between Janurary 1st-March 31st of 2005 to be able to include every console in history. Unfortunately there's no sell-through data of the PS2'S first quarter anywhere on the internet so I decided to use shipments even though it is subject to be completely wrong when it comes to actual sell-through between that time period. Plus I did a little estimation for the PS2's shipment data since it doesn't include the time period between March 31st and April 17th. But other than that all the sell-through data is spot on.

I think PS2 "shipment data" is different from what Sony provides today (PS2 - units produced, PS4 - units sold-in to retailers), which is why PS2's holiday quarter shipment figures often seemed weak (holiday production happened in late Q1 and Q2, this is why PS2 hit a peak of like 8M "shipped" in Q2).  So don't know if this is comparable to the others.  But regardless PS2 exceeded 20M shipped twice so it would have definitely would make it on this list if we the equivalent VGC numbers.

Around the Network
mk7sx said:
javi741 said:

Made that data into a bar graph. I added the PS2's shipment data between Janurary 1st-March 31st of 2005 to be able to include every console in history. Unfortunately there's no sell-through data of the PS2'S first quarter anywhere on the internet so I decided to use shipments even though it is subject to be completely wrong when it comes to actual sell-through between that time period. Plus I did a little estimation for the PS2's shipment data since it doesn't include the time period between March 31st and April 17th. But other than that all the sell-through data is spot on.

I think PS2 "shipment data" is different from what Sony provides today (PS2 - units produced, PS4 - units sold-in to retailers), which is why PS2's holiday quarter shipment figures often seemed weak (holiday production happened in late Q1 and Q2, this is why PS2 hit a peak of like 8M "shipped" in Q2).  So don't know if this is comparable to the others.  But regardless PS2 exceeded 20M shipped twice so it would have definitely would make it on this list if we the equivalent VGC numbers.

Ok, that makes more sense. Cause I find it unlikely that the PS2 out of nowhere shipped over 6M to retailers in 2005 where PS2 sales were nowhere near their peak like in 2002 and 2003. I guess we'll never know how much the PS2 sold through but like you said it's safe to assume that the PS2 at least had to make this bar graph once since it is the greatest selling system ever even if sales never peaked as high as Nintendo consoles. Possibly the PS1 may have made it as well.

javi741 said:
mk7sx said:

Added PS4 2017 since its above NSW 2019.  NDS 06 and 10 could be added too as they were >20M years - I'll consider it, but this list will eventually be dominated by NDS/NSW and everything else way behind.

Also added a rolling 52W calculation for NSW 2020 and 2021.  NSW 2021 finally hit NDS peak figures and crossed 29M mark in early March.  We might see it surge past that in June/July and crack 30M.  NDS peak is calendar year 2007 (2008 is 53W).

Great work

On YouTube and in the Community a new narrative precedent has started regarding the sales of Nintendo Switch since it has a real chance to outsell the PS2: "Well, it's a handheld, handhelds always sell great because per family more than one is sold and it's cheaper than a home console, so, no big deal that it sells so great... ." First of all, who cares if someone sells a cheap handheld or an expensive home console? Every manufacturer has to make economic decisions of what's the best move forward, i.e. low, middle or high price sector. People always compared console sales and they are very much interested in the total sell-through numbers, the one with the highest number is declared the winner. It was always like that and always will be like that. Who cares if one product of a manufacturer is sold for a much cheaper price than the one from another manufacturer? And they forget that Nintendo's most successful handheld, the DS, couldn't outsell the PS2 and these sell-through numbers were compared back then. So, why all of a sudden, the Switch sell-through numbers can't be compared to the ones of the PS2? (The true comparison would be with the PS4 but as it doesn't stand a chance to win, a new narrative had to be found). It's just pathetic! I'm not even taking about Sony-Fanboys talking shit like that - what's their problem? They don't get a dime from Sony anyway (ah yeah, clickbait, I see, I see...)

Fight-the-Streets said:

On YouTube and in the Community a new narrative precedent has started regarding the sales of Nintendo Switch since it has a real chance to outsell the PS2: "Well, it's a handheld, handhelds always sell great because per family more than one is sold and it's cheaper than a home console, so, no big deal that it sells so great... ." First of all, who cares if someone sells a cheap handheld or an expensive home console? Every manufacturer has to make economic decisions of what's the best move forward, i.e. low, middle or high price sector. People always compared console sales and they are very much interested in the total sell-through numbers, the one with the highest number is declared the winner. It was always like that and always will be like that. Who cares if one product of a manufacturer is sold for a much cheaper price than the one from another manufacturer? And they forget that Nintendo's most successful handheld, the DS, couldn't outsell the PS2 and these sell-through numbers were compared back then. So, why all of a sudden, the Switch sell-through numbers can't be compared to the ones of the PS2? (The true comparison would be with the PS4 but as it doesn't stand a chance to win, a new narrative had to be found). It's just pathetic! I'm not even taking about Sony-Fanboys talking shit like that - what's their problem? They don't get a dime from Sony anyway (ah yeah, clickbait, I see, I see...)

Very interesting. And you post that here because ?

Like you said numbers have the final word (I don't know if this expression exist in english). Nintendo & Sony or Sony & Nintendo got massive console' success like no others. Why do you care about a post on Youtube ?

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Switch in NA alone = nearly double Xbox Series worldwide, and XD sales in Europe only 5k more than PS4.

PS5 + XS more than 1/5th of the way to the threshold of my bet, with 56 months to go.

You should had put money on it, that was an easy bet. 

Last edited by kazuyamishima - on 01 May 2021

kazuyamishima said:
curl-6 said:

Switch in NA alone = nearly double Xbox Series worldwide, and XD sales in Europe only 5k more than PS4.

PS5 + XS more than 1/5th of the way to the threshold of my bet, with 56 months to go.

I swore I'd never gamble, I've seen it do terrible things to family members.

But I don't often take bets; this is only the 9th one I've taken in over 11 years on VGChartz, so the fact I took it is indicative of how confident I was that I was right.

I think the original bet was that they'd do over 120 million combined by the end of their life, but liquid laser didn't want to wait 10 years or so for a result so he shortened it to 56 million by end of 2023.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 May 2021

curl-6 said:
kazuyamishima said:

But I don't often take bets; this is only the 9th one I've taken in over 11 years on VGChartz, so the fact I took it is indicative of how confident I was that I was right.

I think the original bet was that they'd do over 120 million combined by the end of their life, but liquid laser didn't want to wait 10 years or so for a result so he shortened it to 56 million by end of 2023.

Lol, I think it's an easy bet that they'll sell over 160mil LT combined.

Kakadu18 said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah I agree, I don't see any reason why either would sell worse than their predecessor.

curl-6 said:
Kakadu18 said:

Yeah I agree, I don't see any reason why either would sell worse than their predecessor.

56 Million by the end of 2023, I never actually paid much attention to how much they would have to be down till just now. I mean thats three years and the first launch, which if I'm not mistaken, the PS4 nearly sold 56 million on its own in that time period, with 2013-16 totalling what 52 million?

Last edited by badskywalker - on 01 May 2021