By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Apr 11-17 - Adjustments - Switch Sells 461K, PS5 Sells 217K, XS Sells 98K

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison Charts Through April 17

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.  Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2018 – (Week ending January 13 to April 14)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to April 13)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to April 11)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to April 10)

"Year to date" sales for 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2021 versus 2020 and 2021 versus 2019 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox One – Down Year-on-Year 817,289 (-72.6%)
  • Xbox Series X|S – n/a

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch - Up Year-on-Year 599,323 (9.5%)
  • Nintendo 3DS – Down Year-on-Year 174,835 (-89.3%)

Sony

• PlayStation 4 – Down Year-on-Year 2,319,901 (-74.3%)
  • PlayStation 5 – n/a

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
yo33331 said:
Eagle367 said:

Why? How do you know only 200k PS4s are on shelves? 

The PS5 is selling much 4x units of the PS4 even 5x sometimes weekly and has 600k on store shelves.

Therefore it is normal for PS4 to have 200k max on store shelves, even those are much .. with weekly numbers around 50k, it is very hard to believe more than 200k will be on store shelves.

200k is a small amount for a system still selling available worldwide, I know it's at the end of its life but it's not dead yet.

"shipped" units will include those on store shelves, but also in storage for the retailers, and in transit to the retailers (essentially as soon as it leaves Sony's legal hands)... depending on the reporting method this may even extend up to international shipping which can be 2-4 weeks just for the transit without customs  handling times (though I believe Sony started reporting "sales" back in 2006/7, which most likely means the units leave Sonys hands from subsidiaries in US/Europe etc, but without working for them I can't be sure)

For reference, the 3DS shipment LTD in March 2020 was 75,770k, whereas VGC had the sales at approx. 125k below that.... at the time the 3DS was only selling 1/4 of what the PS4 is now. (<15k per week).
I wouldnt expect the stock:weekly sales ratio of PS4 to match that of 3DS (handhelds are easier to stock due to smaller form, this doesn't mean half-the-size = double-stock but it will make a difference) but having a 6-10 week discrepancy doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Last edited by HigHurtenflurst - on 30 April 2021

HigHurtenflurst said:
yo33331 said:

The PS5 is selling much 4x units of the PS4 even 5x sometimes weekly and has 600k on store shelves.

Therefore it is normal for PS4 to have 200k max on store shelves, even those are much .. with weekly numbers around 50k, it is very hard to believe more than 200k will be on store shelves.

200k is a small amount for a system still selling available worldwide, I know it's at the end of its life but it's not dead yet.

"shipped" units will include those on store shelves, but also in storage for the retailers, and in transit to the retailers (essentially as soon as it leaves Sony's legal hands)... depending on the reporting method this may even extend up to international shipping which can be 2-4 weeks just for the transit without customs  handling times (though I believe Sony started reporting "sales" back in 2006/7, which most likely means the units leave Sonys hands from subsidiaries in US/Europe etc, but without working for them I can't be sure)

For reference, the 3DS shipment LTD in March 2020 was 75,770k, whereas VGC had the sales at approx. 125k below that.... at the time the 3DS was only selling 1/4 of what the PS4 is now. (<15k per week).
I wouldnt expect the stock:weekly sales ratio of PS4 to match that of 3DS (handhelds are easier to stock due to smaller form, this doesn't mean half-the-size = double-stock but it will make a difference) but having a 6-10 week discrepancy doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

last time we received PS4 numbers (after the new year) vgchartz number was adjusted and the difference between sold and shipped was something like 200 or 300k. It doesn't make sense now the number to be double or triple ..

yo33331 said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

last time we received PS4 numbers (after the new year) vgchartz number was adjusted and the difference between sold and shipped was something like 200 or 300k. It doesn't make sense now the number to be double or triple ..

VGC has the PS4 selling more than it shipped since for all 4 quarters of last calendar year, (shipped 6.2m for the year, sold 8.6m, which means the stock level in Jan 2020 was 2-3mil, or about 15 weeks worth) everything was in high demand from March-Dec, PS4 stock may indeed have gone very low. (Sony was super focused on gettting PS5 out for the holidays so may have neglected PS4) but until it gets discontinued there have to be some quarters where it ships more that sold.

600k is not an unreasonable discrepancy, and 200k is a very low amount of stock for a system still selling 40-50k. It seems to be widely available now as I don't hear people saying PS4 is out of stock much like the PS5 is.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 23

This weekly mini-series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch. 

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. PS5: 7,763,924
  2. Switch: 5,008,963
  3. XSX|S: 4,668,388

Through the first 23 weeks available worldwide the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Switch and Xbox Series X|S by a fair margin. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 2.75 million units and is 3.10 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.34 million units.

The PS5 has sold 7.76 million in 23 weeks worldwide, while the Switch sold 5.01 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 4.67 million units. 

Looking at the marketshare through 23 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 44.5 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 28.7 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 26.8 percent.

The Switch didn't reach current PS5 sales until week 38.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. PS5: 3,164,400
  2. XSX|S: 2,332,978
  3. Switch: 1,836,507

Through the first 23 weeks available in the US the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.83 million units and is 1.33 million units ahead of the Switch. The Xbox Series X|S is ahead of the Switch by 0.50 million units.

The PS5 has sold 3.16 million in 23 weeks in the US, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 2.33 million units and the Switch 1.84 million units. 

Looking at the marketshare through 23 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 43.2 percent marketshare, the Xbox Series X|S sits at 31.8 percent, and the Switch at 25.0 percent.

The Switch didn't reach current PS5 sales until week 39 and current Xbox Series X|S sales until week 32.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (22 weeks):

1. PS5: 2,694,499
  2. Switch: 1,390,514
  3. XSX|S: 1,364,440

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 22 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 1.14 million units and is 1.33 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 26,074.

The PS5 has sold 2.69 million in 22 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 1.39 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 1.36 million units. 

Looking at the marketshare through 22 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 49.5 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 25.5 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 25.0 percent.

The Switch didn't reach current PS5 sales until week 42.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 1,355,664
  2. PS5: 641,323
  3. XSX|S: 42,486

Through the first 23 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 0.71 million units and is 1.31 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.60 million units.

The Switch has sold 1.36 million units in 23 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 0.64 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.04 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 23 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 66.5 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 31.4 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 2.1 percent.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Switch in NA alone = nearly double Xbox Series worldwide, and XD sales in Europe only 5k more than PS4.

PS5 + XS more than 1/5th of the way to the threshold of my bet, with 56 months to go.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 April 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

mk7sx said:
mk7sx said:

VGChartz Top Years W1-15

Adjustments push NSW 2021 Q1 up to 5,959K - biggest non-holiday quarter ever.  

Buffer over 2020 is now down to 644K and will be eaten away through week 19, but only needs to do 383K a week min to fall behind, so this buffer will hold.  From week 20 - 37, NSW 2021 should have the advantage as 2020 succumbs to supply issues.  

-Healthy signs right now that NSW 2021 will enter the shopping season in Q4 with a buffer over 2020.

-NSW needs to average 454K per week to match Q2 2020

-NSW needs to average 464K per week to hit 12M by the halfway point of week 26

-NSW needs to average 388K per week for the next 8 weeks to be the fastest to 10M (23 weeks total; NDS 07 & NSW 20 did it in 24)

-7M will be achieved in W16 - fastest ever (NDS 07 & 08 & NSW 20 - 17 weeks)

-8M will likely be achieved in W18 - fastest ever (NDS 07 & NSW 20 - 19 weeks)

-VGC seems to be projecting US NPD April at 690-700K.

Added PS4 2017 since its above NSW 2019.  NDS 06 and 10 could be added too as they were >20M years - I'll consider it, but this list will eventually be dominated by NDS/NSW and everything else way behind.

Also added a rolling 52W calculation for NSW 2020 and 2021.  NSW 2021 finally hit NDS peak figures and crossed 29M mark in early March.  We might see it surge past that in June/July and crack 30M.  NDS peak is calendar year 2007 (2008 is 53W).

Made that data into a bar graph. I added the PS2's shipment data between Janurary 1st-March 31st of 2005 to be able to include every console in history. Unfortunately there's no sell-through data of the PS2'S first quarter anywhere on the internet so I decided to use shipments even though it is subject to be completely wrong when it comes to actual sell-through between that time period. Plus I did a little estimation for the PS2's shipment data since it doesn't include the time period between March 31st and April 17th. But other than that all the sell-through data is spot on.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs PS4 Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 23

This weekly mini-series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5 with its predecessor, the PlayStation 4. 

The first week for the PlayStation 5 is the week ending November 14, 2020, while for the PlayStation 4 it is the week ending November 16, 2013.

The two consoles had a staggered launch with the PlayStation 5 launching November 12, 2020 in North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore, and the rest of the world on November 19, 2020. The PlayStation 4 launched in North America on November 15, 2013, in Europe on November 29, 2013, and in Japan on February 22, 2014.

PS5 Vs. PS4 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest week: 38,699 - PS5

Gap change over last month: 280,314 - PS5

Total Lead: 399,562 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 7,763,924

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 7,364,362

During week 23, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 by 38,699 units. In the last month, the PlayStation 5 has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 280,314 units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by just 399,562 units. 

The PlayStation 5 has sold 7.76 million units in 23 weeks, while the PlayStation 4 sold 7.36 million units. Week 23 for the PlayStation 5 is the week ending April 17, 2021 and it is the week ending April 18, 2014 for the PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 5 is already ahead of the sales of the PlayStation 4 after week 25, where the PlayStation 4 sold 7.68 million. The PlayStation 5 is 71,580 units away from surpassing PlayStation 4 sales after 26 weeks.

The PlayStation 4 crossed eight million sold in week 28, nine million units sold in week 33, and 10 million units sold in week 39.

javi741 said:
mk7sx said:

Added PS4 2017 since its above NSW 2019.  NDS 06 and 10 could be added too as they were >20M years - I'll consider it, but this list will eventually be dominated by NDS/NSW and everything else way behind.

Also added a rolling 52W calculation for NSW 2020 and 2021.  NSW 2021 finally hit NDS peak figures and crossed 29M mark in early March.  We might see it surge past that in June/July and crack 30M.  NDS peak is calendar year 2007 (2008 is 53W).

Made that data into a bar graph. I added the PS2's shipment data between Janurary 1st-March 31st of 2005 to be able to include every console in history. Unfortunately there's no sell-through data of the PS2'S first quarter anywhere on the internet so I decided to use shipments even though it is subject to be completely wrong when it comes to actual sell-through between that time period. Plus I did a little estimation for the PS2's shipment data since it doesn't include the time period between March 31st and April 17th. But other than that all the sell-through data is spot on.

I think PS2 "shipment data" is different from what Sony provides today (PS2 - units produced, PS4 - units sold-in to retailers), which is why PS2's holiday quarter shipment figures often seemed weak (holiday production happened in late Q1 and Q2, this is why PS2 hit a peak of like 8M "shipped" in Q2).  So don't know if this is comparable to the others.  But regardless PS2 exceeded 20M shipped twice so it would have definitely would make it on this list if we the equivalent VGC numbers.

mk7sx said:
javi741 said:

I think PS2 "shipment data" is different from what Sony provides today (PS2 - units produced, PS4 - units sold-in to retailers), which is why PS2's holiday quarter shipment figures often seemed weak (holiday production happened in late Q1 and Q2, this is why PS2 hit a peak of like 8M "shipped" in Q2).  So don't know if this is comparable to the others.  But regardless PS2 exceeded 20M shipped twice so it would have definitely would make it on this list if we the equivalent VGC numbers.

Ok, that makes more sense. Cause I find it unlikely that the PS2 out of nowhere shipped over 6M to retailers in 2005 where PS2 sales were nowhere near their peak like in 2002 and 2003. I guess we'll never know how much the PS2 sold through but like you said it's safe to assume that the PS2 at least had to make this bar graph once since it is the greatest selling system ever even if sales never peaked as high as Nintendo consoles. Possibly the PS1 may have made it as well.