By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your opinion on gaming subscription services?

My opinion is best summed up as:

Subscribed to at least one and like it 36 36.36%

Subscribed to at least one and not a fan 6 6.06%

Thinking about subscribing 6 6.06%

Was a subscriber and lapsed 4 4.04%

Will subscribe for big games and then drop 4 4.04%

Zero interest at all 28 28.28%

None of the current subs ... 8 8.08%

Other 7 7.07%

Total:99

Why would I pay a monthly subscription when just waiting for a game's price to drop is usually cheaper? Especially at times when you have no time to play anything anyway. Plus I like to own the things I buy.

Last edited by Darwinianevolution - on 26 April 2021

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

The pricing seems to be on point, at least on the Game Pass. Even if I only wanted one or two full priced games per year, it would be worth it. Losing access is not an issue for me, I only complete a game once and then move on. So basically I might be up for a subscription service, but I would have to have access to Sony exclusives and whatnot.

I have Game Pass Ultimate and love it! I still buy the occasional game on sale, but it's become the main way I play games now. I've also played some games I would have never bought, but ended up really enjoying like; Plagues Tale, Oxenfree, Carrion, What remains of Edith Finch, Fractured Minds, Spiritfarer, and plenty of others. I don't feel obligated to finish a game if I don't find myself enjoying it, which is the opposite when I bought a game.  

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 26 April 2021

Something I'd rather not pay for. I'm selective on what games I invest time in so another (gaming) subscription don't really suit me. Plus not really inclined to pay for multiple services as content is never really in your control an is easy to lose track of. Looking at how Netflix, Disney, HBO is not too hard to imagine games and franchises getting more closed off. Plus ownership and all that jazz.

Currently sub to PS Plus for monthly games/discounts and WoW though I might cancel the former. I mostly day one buy the games I know I will enjoy, or my friends play or wait for drops - which is usually on Steam/PC.

Last edited by hinch - on 26 April 2021

IcaroRibeiro said:
Zkuq said:

Not a fan. I don't have enough time to play new (as in "games I don't own yet") games to make them worth my money, and if I really like a game, I want to own it (to support the developer/publishers and to be able to play it even without a subscription, regardless of whether I do so or not). The way I see it is that subscription services make sense when you have a lot of time to enjoy their content but not otherwise. Incidentally, for me the same goes for movie/TV subscriptions as well (to an extent).

I think it's also good if you don't mind not playing your games again after some timd. I'm totally fine not playing Animal Crossing New Horizons again if it means I can get the next Animal Crossing in a subscription service next gen. Do you know why? Because I'm aware it's just a matter of time until my Switch stop working, my New Horizons is a digital version and only God knows whether Nintendo will let me play my digital games on Switch sequel 

Games is a medium that degrades please quickly imo, not because of the cartridges or the CDs, but the hardware to play it. I understand people like to own games, but that's the point of ownership when you can't play your games. It's like me buying all my Kingdom Hearts games again on PS4 because my PS2 copies have been useless for pretty much a decade now, that's why I would be 100% fine with playing them in Game Pass and then losing access if one day I decide to just drop the service 

That's a good point. My main platform is PC so I don't really have to worry about hardware issues, but on consoles that's definitely true. I don't think a subscription would be worth it to me even on consoles, but I can totally see it making a difference for some.

Around the Network

Gamepass best deal in gaming!

Nintendo Switch Online is hot garbage. I only pay for it mostly for Animal Crossing and the occasional NES/SNES game. Nintendo should add more classic platforms (like N64 or GameCube) to their service and invest in dedicated servers.
I've been subscribed to PlayStation Plus since I got a PS4. It's great to have the monthly games and added discounts/items. I've been subscribed to PlayStation Now since late 2020. I don't regret subscribing at all, but the service leaves a lot to be desired. I wish there were more PS2 games, PS1 games, and some downloadable PS3 games.
If I had an Xbox or Gaming PC, I would get Game Pass. It seems like a really good value prospect. Something I don't like about GamePass is the ever-rotating library. For all the faults of PS Now, at least most of the games that are on there will be on there for a year or many years.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

It's one of the latest clever ideas to get people into paying for games that they don't own. I get the convenience, but that's how they have been stripping away our consumer rights, by selling us convenience.

I sub to PS+ and Game Pass. I don't play any of the games offered. That might change, but I don't particularly care to do it. Which is why I don't sub to PS Now and I let Game Pass laps all the time. I still prefer a physical copy over anything.

In my ideal world, in lieu of the way Microsoft has done previous gen games, I would love for subbing to PS Now would make it so I can insert any Playstation gen disc and have it register and download a digital copy of said game in the proper format to work on the current gen console. Microsoft is desperate (to what degree is up for debate), so I understand why they are throwing potential money for rebuys away to offer BC and $70 on Game Pass day one. For SONY however, I would gladly pay an extra sub just for BC.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Being in a family with 3 gamers, each with our own gaming tastes, Game Pass has been great. We got a Series X for Christmas and since it was our first XBox we had no games from past systems. Game Pass gave us hundreds of games to play from day 1. All for $31 for the first 7 months so far ($1 for first 3 months, then converted a year of EA Play to 4 months of GPU).

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish