By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your opinion on gaming subscription services?

My opinion is best summed up as:

Subscribed to at least one and like it 36 36.36%

Subscribed to at least one and not a fan 6 6.06%

Thinking about subscribing 6 6.06%

Was a subscriber and lapsed 4 4.04%

Will subscribe for big games and then drop 4 4.04%

Zero interest at all 28 28.28%

None of the current subs ... 8 8.08%

Other 7 7.07%

Total:99

Not a fan. I don't have enough time to play new (as in "games I don't own yet") games to make them worth my money, and if I really like a game, I want to own it (to support the developer/publishers and to be able to play it even without a subscription, regardless of whether I do so or not). The way I see it is that subscription services make sense when you have a lot of time to enjoy their content but not otherwise. Incidentally, for me the same goes for movie/TV subscriptions as well (to an extent).

Around the Network

I don't mind it, so long as it is an optional subscription. Back when EA Access was announced, people were worried that you'd have to subscribe to it in order to play EA games or get the "full" games. It didn't happen, but that's the type of stuff I would have a problem with. Luckily, no one has went down that path yet.

The main gaming sub right now is GamePass. I love it. Just like EA Access, it's gotten a lot of fear mongering and FUD. But it's an optional digital service thrown atop the standard way you consume gaming media. If you want to own the games, you can buy them digitally, and you can always buy physical. I don't get the worry that this will lead to bad games "like TV" as someone in this very thread said. TV is better than ever. There's so much phenomenal shit out there right now. Streaming services and subscription cable networks routinely dominate awards and viewership. Sure, there's more of everything now, which means there's more bad stuff, but there's also way more good stuff.

Here is the thing that Microsoft and big tech companies don't get.  Gaming is fundamentally different from watching movies.

Before streaming services came along, how did people primarily watch movies?  They rented.  Some bought DVDs, but this was the minority.  Most of the time when people watched a movie they rented.  This is because an average movie is only 2 hours of entertainment.  Most games are far longer than 2 hours.  That is why people buy games instead of renting them.  Sure Blockbuster had a decent game rental business for a while, but it still wasn't as popular as the buy/sell/trade model.  People like to own their games, because they are a lot longer.

Streaming games will not take off like streaming movies did.  Some will like it sure, but streaming movies was massively adopted by almost everyone.  Lots of people are not going to want to stream games.  They want to own them.  All of the games you want to play for one low monthly price is not really a good deal.  A lot of the games I own take a month or more to play through.  It's like going to an all you can eat buffet and then only getting one item.  If I own a game, then I can come back to it whenever I want, even many years later.  I can also trade or sell it. 

You lose a lot by streaming, and the benefits you gain don't necessarily balance with the disadvantages.  I am sure they do for some people, but there are lots of people who really are never going to go for it.  Streaming for games is not going to become the new standard.  It is not "the future".  It's just another type of platform.  Some will like it.  Others will adamantly stick to physical media.

Zkuq said:

Not a fan. I don't have enough time to play new (as in "games I don't own yet") games to make them worth my money, and if I really like a game, I want to own it (to support the developer/publishers and to be able to play it even without a subscription, regardless of whether I do so or not). The way I see it is that subscription services make sense when you have a lot of time to enjoy their content but not otherwise. Incidentally, for me the same goes for movie/TV subscriptions as well (to an extent).

I think it's also good if you don't mind not playing your games again after some timd. I'm totally fine not playing Animal Crossing New Horizons again if it means I can get the next Animal Crossing in a subscription service next gen. Do you know why? Because I'm aware it's just a matter of time until my Switch stop working, my New Horizons is a digital version and only God knows whether Nintendo will let me play my digital games on Switch sequel 

Games is a medium that degrades please quickly imo, not because of the cartridges or the CDs, but the hardware to play it. I understand people like to own games, but that's the point of ownership when you can't play your games. It's like me buying all my Kingdom Hearts games again on PS4 because my PS2 copies have been useless for pretty much a decade now, that's why I would be 100% fine with playing them in Game Pass and then losing access if one day I decide to just drop the service 

I think they are great, so long as they never replace my ability to buy a game. For example, gamepass has already paid for itself for two years based on what I have played. You cannot argue against that kind of value.

I still buy games as well for XBox, and gamepass even helps me with that choice. I just bought Nier Replicant for example, but only because I just beat Automata on gamepass and loved it. It allows me to try a game like Outriders, and then buy it at a 20% discount (as all gamepass games are discounted) if I decide I want to keep it when it eventually gets removed. No matter how you look at it, I am playing a ton more games and spending a lot less money while still building my physical/digital libraries.

Last edited by Shiken - on 26 April 2021

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here is the thing that Microsoft and big tech companies don't get.  Gaming is fundamentally different from watching movies.

Before streaming services came along, how did people primarily watch movies?  They rented.  Some bought DVDs, but this was the minority.  Most of the time when people watched a movie they rented.  This is because an average movie is only 2 hours of entertainment.  Most games are far longer than 2 hours.  That is why people buy games instead of renting them.  Sure Blockbuster had a decent game rental business for a while, but it still wasn't as popular as the buy/sell/trade model.  People like to own their games, because they are a lot longer.

Streaming games will not take off like streaming movies did.  Some will like it sure, but streaming movies was massively adopted by almost everyone.  Lots of people are not going to want to stream games.  They want to own them.  All of the games you want to play for one low monthly price is not really a good deal.  A lot of the games I own take a month or more to play through.  It's like going to an all you can eat buffet and then only getting one item.  If I own a game, then I can come back to it whenever I want, even many years later.  I can also trade or sell it. 

You lose a lot by streaming, and the benefits you gain don't necessarily balance with the disadvantages.  I am sure they do for some people, but there are lots of people who really are never going to go for it.  Streaming for games is not going to become the new standard.  It is not "the future".  It's just another type of platform.  Some will like it.  Others will adamantly stick to physical media.

People do what their habits teach them. For people over their 30 maybe streaming will never be a thing, but for kids who will start playing on streaming buying games will be pointless once they becomes grown ups and starting buying things for themselves 

Do you know how most of people used to consume music? It wasn't renting, it was buying because a song isn't something you listen one week and then get bored of it, music is something you buy today and keep listening for years 

Yet everybody adapted to streaming really fast, because streaming is readily available. As long the music is avaible people will subscribe, it's not like singers will take their library from services

For games, it will be the same. Subscriptions are fairly new and buying still common, big players and publishers don't have their stabilished services yet, but once the market consolidates (probably will take more 7-8 years) customers will start to trust some games will be avaible in the service forever and then they will naturally move away from buying until buying start being a niche habit just like buying CDs and some publishers will barely bother releasing physical media unless it's for a premium price like vinyls, then customers will need to choose between paying the premium price for their physicals or just engaging in the cheaper media for mass consumption 

Not a fan of the concept at all. However, Nintendo's subscription is only a few euros if you're joined with multiple people (€7 a year for me), so I don't really mind. I would've bought some of these NES and SNES games in the eShop anyways.

Honestly, this is one thing I just fundamentally hate. Like, I don't think it's a bad deal or a bad option...for other people...but I'd never buy into one myself. There are a bunch of reasons why I don't like game subscriptions of any kind, and any one of them would be enough to keep me from buying in.

1 - I already own a sizeable library. I know this isn't the case for most people and many people sell their old games once they're done with them, but this is not the case for me. I have a massive library with a backlog over 100 games. I could never buy another game in my life and I'd likely never run out of things to do.

2 - Furthermore, I'm a collector. When I buy games, I do not get rid of them. Twice in my life I sold games and I regretted it ever since. I sold some SNES games when I Was a kid (For a Genesis) including TMNT: turtles in Time and Battletoads in Battlemaniacs. Bad decision. Second time was some DS games so I could buy Left 4 Dead on Xbox 360. Nowadays, I have an entire room in my house dedicated to gaming and as such I'm happy going back to my old consoles and playing my old as well as new games.

3 - Given the above two points, I tend to also prefer physical media for the most part. I have been replacing much of my collection with digital for the convenience of it all, but I will not get rid of my games or fully replace them.

4 - Given the first two points once more, I also want to play these games on my own time. I tend to pick up and play, then go away for months at a time and owning a subscription service is counterintuitive to that. I also don't buy MMO subs for the same reason. The moment any of this goes on a timer or there's a chance I won't always have access to it, playing it becomes work. a job. an obligation. the second that playing a game is something do on someone else's time, it stops being fun to me. (I rarely play coop games, either for this same reason.)

5 - I don't get to chose what games are on there, which means I'd have to buy a handful of games either way. Plus, as per point 4, if any game I'm playing is being pulled or won't be on there 100% of the time, it stops being something I do for fun and becomes an obligation.

There are more smaller points to consider but those are the big ones for me. All of this combines to make the idea of a game subscription counter to basically everything I like about gaming. Sure, the cost to value ratio is absolutely better than buying a dozen games a year full price, but cost isn't really a factor to me most of the time and I care a lot more about the collecting aspects and the ownership than the access. I like having shelves stocked full of games and movies. I like having a room in my house dedicated to JUST games. I like having a backlog and owning various versions of games. I like having collectors editions and steelbooks and neat little goodies. I like collecting.

I like gaming, but since it's an interactive medium the engagement is wholly different than movies or TV shows. I have no problem watching Netflix or disney+ or whatever...but I don't think that's at all the same as GamePass. I can put a movie on in the background or think nothing of it, but with games it's a more interactive experience and thus requires my time and effort. If that time and effort is put on a clock or in any ways out of my control, it stops being entertainment and starts being work.

So while I absolutely do feel that the dollar value proposition for game services is fantastic, it doesn't fulfil any of the things I like about game collecting and this it's the opposite of what I want in my medium. I have less than zero interest in any of these subscription models and I don't see that changing any time soon.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

IcaroRibeiro said:

People do what their habits teach them. For people over their 30 maybe streaming will never be a thing, but for kids who will start playing on streaming buying games will be pointless once they becomes grown ups and starting buying things for themselves 

Do you know how most of people used to consume music? It wasn't renting, it was buying because a song isn't something you listen one week and then get bored of it, music is something you buy today and keep listening for years 

Yet everybody adapted to streaming really fast, because streaming is readily available. As long the music is avaible people will subscribe, it's not like singers will take their library from services

For games, it will be the same. Subscriptions are fairly new and buying still common, big players and publishers don't have their stabilished services yet, but once the market consolidates (probably will take more 7-8 years) customers will start to trust some games will be avaible in the service forever and then they will naturally move away from buying until buying start being a niche habit just like buying CDs and some publishers will barely bother releasing physical media unless it's for a premium price like vinyls, then customers will need to choose between paying the premium price for their physicals or just engaging in the cheaper media for mass consumption 

I still buy music, went from recording from the radio, renting movies, renting books, pirating games, to buying music (still buy CDs), books, movies and games all physical, so not everybody!

It is annoying that it's much harder nowadays to find music, books, movies and next games in stores :( As well as finding them online to order, still no S4 Expanse released here. Import for a hefty fee :/

So nope, not a fan of subscription services and no plans to ever adapt to them. I simply 'consume' less nowadays, spend more time with fewer games.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 25 April 2021

SvennoJ said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I still buy music, went from recording from the radio, renting movies, renting books, pirating games, to buying music (still buy CDs, books, movies and games all physical) so not everybody!

It is annoying that it's much harder nowadays to find music, books, movies and next games in stores :( As well as finding them online to order, still no S4 Expanse released here. Import for a hefty fee :/

So nope, not a fan of subscription services and no plans to ever adapt to them. I simply 'consume' less nowadays, spend more time with fewer games.

I'm still a physical album and books buyer as well, yes it's much harder to find. Almost every bookstore is closing now, but well I also love my kindle and I even subscribe the amazon reading service even though I don't use it that much and mostly read digitals versions ok books I've bought

I also love physical games. I need fo pay over 80 USD to keep my imported Nintendo physical games because this company aren't even bothering giving proper physical releases for their games here  at least I can buy some Sony physical games for reasonable price

Overall, I understand subscription is screwing me as a collector, but I still loving it. I'm a music fan, do you know how many whole discographies I could listen thanks to Spotify ? Before it I was a shameless torrent user, used to download three different albums every week only because If I was going to buy any song I wanted to give a try I would end spending over 2k USD a year. This business model allow me to listen whatever I want, digest and then buy the overpriced CD versions only for the albums I find worth it. If one day I have a big house and enough cash I'll try to collect vinyls as well, but most important subscription system is making my favorite hobby finally accessible like it was never before just like I know GP is making gaming accessible for people who could never afford trying so many games like they can now. So, how can I be opposed to it?