By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Do you still buy movies physically?

Do you?

Yes, I still buy physical 46 63.89%

No, I've gone all digital 26 36.11%

Total:72

I still purchase DVD and Bluray, and always will as long as the option is available.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network

I still do; if a movie is a highly visual experience like with, say, the recent Godzilla films, Pacific Rim, or Ready Player One I'll get it on Blu Ray, but for most films I still buy them on DVD.

I use streaming services, Netflix and Stan for example, but I don't like you can spontaneously lose access to a film if it leaves that service, so physical as well as looking better ensures I retain access to the films I want for when I wish to rewatch them.

Yeah, tons of them. Currently got 938 Blu-Rays on my shelves.
I only buy used movies and therefore also have a spending limit. 3.50 Euro is the maximum amout I'm willing to spend on a standard Blu Ray. For 3D Blu Rays (two disc set with the standard Blu Ray included) 6 Euro is my limit.

Would never buy a movie digitally (where would I store them? Where would I be able to download them again, since there are so many places that offer them?).
Streaming is out of the question due to the poor audio and visual quality. Also there's tons of stuff being downloaded to my PC, laptop, phone, console all day so I'd likely suffer from stutters or even worse quality.

Yes, but much less than in the past. In 2007 I bought almost 400 DVDs, in 2008, 2009 and 2011 around 300 DVDs/Blu-rays per year.

In the last years I mainly bought 3D-Blu-rays and UHDs and got much more selective. One of the reasons for this is my buddy who preorders most interesting Blu-rays and we watch them together. The other reason is of course 4K-streaming content on Netflix and Prime video. iTunes also has often great deals for 4K-movies.

This is the main part of my DVD collection:

In the fourth IKEA Billy board (on the right) is the rest of the DVDs and my HD-DVD collection.

If I need more space for DVDs / HD-DVDs, the books on the left will have to move into the next room.

My Blu-rays, Blu-ray3Ds and UHDs are in other rooms closer to the TVs / projector.

nah I usually stream

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

I have never purchased a digital movie.  I've watched tv using cable and satellite in the past, but now only have an antennae hooked up for my local stations. I purchase my tv series and movies on disc.  Like my video game collection, I have many series still wrapped in plastic but will be able to watch once I start into my retirement.  

My first dvd movie to ever purchase was Waterworld in 1996, one of the first dvd movies ever made. (Still have it.). I've only added to the collection from there on.

My last 2 purchases was 2 days ago for Pixels, and Ready Player 1, still waiting to arrive (Blu ray).

I have a weird compulsion about not placing new orders until old ones have made it to me.  But these will be my next Amazon purchases for movies.

These next images are of my movie and TV series collection.

The 3rd shelf from the bottom that has a bunch of movies laying down horizontally are movies that have yet to be watched.  Once they have been seen they get moved to one of the other shelves based on Genre.  The 2nd shelf from the bottom also have a few horizontal movies, those are ones that I repurchased for a blu ray upgrade or were had one disc damaged where I had to rebuy and entire season.  I will sell those or give away accordantly.

The very bottom shelf to the right contains the 23 marvel films that are put into chronological order by the Marvel timeline and I do have 8 unwatched movies there.  I just finished up Guardians of the Galaxy 2 last weekend, looks like Avengers: Age of Ultron is next.

In the above image bottom shelf those are empty blu ray cases that I got to replace movies that come with a cracked cases.  I also didn't know that Godzilla collection (the first 15 films) was going to be that large, I took out of the shelf to photograph.

Yes I have all of Star Trek, Discovery is not with the others yet because it belongs in my continuing running series section (makes it easier to keep track of what is complete and what is still running). 

This next section coming up is my Anime section.

The Dragon Ball Supers are still unwatched, I will probably start all over from the beginning and lead up to those.  The ones that are unlabeled on the very top are the Futurama seasons.  The packaging that they came in was cardboard and discs are DVDs so I didn't want to scratch them and repackaged them.  The original collection box is in storage to protect it.  Almost everything else is also unwatched, Fairy Tail and Dr. Stone are some of my latest additions to the collection. Collection 25 of One Piece is scheduled for a May release no word on Collection 26 yet.

This is my large law, investigative, medical, and some misc. shows.  One of my favorite packagings ever is the Breaking bad mini-barrel on the top shelf to the left.

Building this collection has become one of my joys in life.  What sucks is that some shows are becoming impossible to complete.  Law and Order SUV stopped putting out physical releases about 3 or 4 seasons ago.  I also can't get the final season of Homeland.

I purchased a custom 4k Blu-ray player that allows me to change to all region formats.  I sometimes import movies that only exist on blu ray in other countries and won't play on standard blu-ray players, hence the need to be able to change regions.

I've created a spreadsheet that list tv series and their approximate release dates to know what is coming up next to purchase. I've recently started just waiting for tv series to complete fully before purchasing to make sure I can finish a collection.

Last edited by DroidKnight - on 22 April 2021

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

I have tons of dvds, Netflix keeps retiring movies from their catalog, and now that everyone has their own service i don't want to pay for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max or whatever new service pops out, the dvds are in perfect condition and me and my family can rewatch them whenever we want, we still have a lot of VHS, for example, with some Donald Duck Cartoons dubbed in my language that i haven't seen put in DVD or blu-ray, also from Disney we keep the VHSs as a treasures, since in our language things like Cinderella got redubbed and the newers one isn't as good as the first one, The sleeping Beauty was reddubed 3 times or so, 2 one is the best one, Star wars has something simmilar in VHS we have the uneddited versions including the unnaltered return of the Jedi, then on DVD restored collection they are edited, so we can compare how they looked originally, now somethings like Tron uprising or the Final of Samurai Jack were never launched in DVD or blu-ray(at least here) so those are digital only of course, here some cartoons that were licensed on netflix didn't even have their seasons completed, so another point for physical media and if that's not possible then we get them on itunes or Amazon.

Rarely, usually Shout! Factory or Arrow Video releases of classics and cult films.

DroidKnight said:

I have never purchased a digital movie.  I've watched tv using cable and satellite in the past, but now only have an antennae hooked up for my local stations. I purchase my tv series and movies on disc.  Like my video game collection, I have many series still wrapped in plastic but will be able to watch once I start into my retirement.  

My first dvd movie to ever purchase was Waterworld in 1996, one of the first dvd movies ever made. (Still have it.). I've only added to the collection from there on.

My last 2 purchases was 2 days ago for Pixels, and Ready Player 1, still waiting to arrive (Blu ray).

Very nice DVD/BR collection, but you are probably off one or two years with your first DVD.

The first DVD-players in the USA were launched 03/31/1997:

The first batch of 15 US-DVD movies (region code 1) was released one week earlier by Warner and MGM on March 26, 1997.

These were:

• A Time to Kill
  • Blade Runner
  • Eraser
  • Goodfellas
  • Interview with the Vampire
  • The Road Warrior
  • Se7en
  • The Birdcage
  • The Bridges of Madison County
  • The Fugitive
  • The Mask
  • The Wizard of Oz
  • Twister
  • Unforgiven
  • Woodstock

Your Waterworld DVD was released in December 1997... my friend bought that DVD release, too. I bought the DTS version in Spring 1999:

So you probably started to collect DVDs at the same time as me and my friends... early 1998.

We bought our first DVD player together in April 1998, modded it to be region-free and placed our first order of US-DVDs:

Air Force One
Blade Runner (Director's Cut)
Con Air
Contact
Crimson Tide
Dune
From Dusk till Dawn
Léon: The Professional
Waterworld

While waiting for that import to arrive, all we had to watch was "Twelve Monkeys" (the first German DVD release):

In June 1998 we bought the German DVD release of "A Few Good Men" and the second parcel with imported US-DVDs arrived:

Assassins
Backdraft
Highlander (Director's Cut)
Man in the Iron Mask, The
Sphere

In July 1998 we bought the German DVD releases of "Knocking on Heaven's Door" + "Outbreak" and the third parcel with imported US-DVDs arrived:

Eraser
Judge Dredd
Last Boy Scout, The
Mask, The
Postman, The
True Romance
U.S. Marshals
Universal Soldier

In August 1998 we bought the German DVD release of "Mars Attacks!" and the fourth parcel with imported US-DVDs arrived:

Assignment, The
Executive Decision
Face/Off
Jackal, The
Passenger 57
Stargate
Starship Troopers
Under Siege

Conina said:

Very nice DVD/BR collection, but you are probably off one or two years with your first DVD.

The first DVD-players in the USA were launched 03/31/1997:

Thanks.  I just glanced at when DVDs became a thing and went with that.

But if I would have looked at my case instead...

...if I'm not mistaken I think it was close to 850 dollars for my first DVD player.  I remember also getting my first surround system and all this was still on a large analog TV.  Would put the black bars on top and bottom but I was trying to get ahead for when I could get a Hi-def TV.  My parents were confused as to why I was spending a bunch of money just to have a smaller image on the TV.  No matter how much I tried to explain to them that televisions would become flat and wide and eventually accommodate the widescreen format, they thought I was just full of shit.  

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.