By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Do you still buy movies physically?

Do you?

Yes, I still buy physical 46 63.89%

No, I've gone all digital 26 36.11%

Total:72

Yes, I still buy physical even with streaming because 1)there's no guarantee what you want to watch is on or will stay on streaming services, 2)I don't have to deal with annoying buffering watching a physical Blu-Ray/4K Blu-Ray and 3)I actually like owning the stuff I watch.

The only exception is the DareDevil Netflix series since that was made for Netflix and I can watch it with the click of a button, though if it ever gets removed from Netflix, then I'll pick up the complete series on Blu-Ray.

EDIT: oh and Stranger Things for the same reason.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 22 April 2021

Around the Network

I find it remarkable that DVDs are not only still around but still mainstream 15 years after the arrival of Blu Ray; I guess streaming stopped the latter from ever attaining dominant market share, and DVD quality is still better and more consistent than what you usually get from streaming services.

The difference is that people can use DVDs in modern devices which wasn't possible for VHS when DVD players came out (there are hybrid players of course but naturally more expensive). Also the discs are cheaper than BluRays and there are still quite a lot of older TV series and movies that never saw a BluRay release. People probably wouldn't buy those to experience better audio and visual quality (depends on how they were filmed) but some would maybe consider getting a 3-disc BluRay boxset of a series instead of a 30-disc DVD boxset.

It's crazy when you think about it. A series as recent and successful as How I Met Your Mother doesn't have a Blu Ray boxset, only DVD. In fact, the only season that was released on Blu Ray was Season 4. Despite the fact that the majority of seasons (maybe even all of them?) were shot in HD, so there's no reason not to release them on BluRay. Two and a Half Men would be another example....

No, but I don’t buy ‘em digitally either. It’s all Netflix, Prime Video and Disney+ these days.

We used to have a very large collection, but we sold the bigger part of it about six years ago after we stopped collecting any in at last as many years before that. We hardly got into BluRay for example. We hardly got any money for it. We showed up at a store that buys tapes, DVDs and music CD’s one day with a couple boxes filled with about 500 DVDs, but the guy said, after he hardly ever sells them so he could only give us €50 for all of them. Now obviously if you sell them yourself we’d have gotten more, if you sell them, but that wasn’t worth the hassle. Terrible investment. We still have 2-300 left. We went for some lunch after that with the money we got.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 23 April 2021

Been a while since i bought a movie, i dislike the clutter.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I find it remarkable that DVDs are not only still around but still mainstream 15 years after the arrival of Blu Ray; I guess streaming stopped the latter from ever attaining dominant market share, and DVD quality is still better and more consistent than what you usually get from streaming services.

The quality of DVD is good enough for most people and they're cheaper than Blu-Ray.

I don't buy too many movies but when I do, it's physical.

Yes I still buy them but of course not any movie. I buy the ones that comes with extras I want to watch, director's cut versions, remastered versions etc.
Especially now we are living in this era of cancel culture and cultural revolution it is very important to have the physical versions so you can be sure you can still watch some content. The same for books.

i think buying physical disc movies in this digital age makes it quite irrelevant
before yeah in the VHS days it was quite viable but once netflix took flight there was no stopping digital movie rent,
so i dont buy physical movies anymore sad life haha!

Oh yes. I have an enormous dvd and blu-ray collection (600+), and it is still growing. I do try to restrain myself though, so now I only buy those I really enjoy. The digital options are good for checking out new stuff, it doesn't require any space and is fast to get hold of. But the libraries of streaming platforms are frankly pathetic, and you would need subscriptions to 5-6 different competing services just to reach a decent selection of titles. The video-audio quality of Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays are vastly superior to digital. Even watching a purchased film from for instance iTunes on a small screen, it is obvious that the films have been compressed severely. Sometimes even to sub-DVD levels.

I also like that with physical, I actually own a copy of the film, the distributor can't just take the content away from me. And thankfully, so far with movies, the content is still on the disc, you are not forced to download half of the movie from a server, which may not last forever, this is the problem for most physical games, unfortunately.