By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Do you still buy movies physically?

Do you?

Yes, I still buy physical 46 63.89%

No, I've gone all digital 26 36.11%

Total:72

I invest all my entertainment time into gaming, I never watch movies/TV shows. But when I did, I would pirate them. So no to physical or digital, I would sometimes buy Netflix for a month or two to catchup on originals.

Around the Network

Depends on the movie and price. But in terms of buying movies, I only buy physical while I stream digital or watch them in other ways.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Going digital: less hassle finding space for it.

I still buy them, but far less often. Mostly because I hardly ever sit down anymore to watch a full movie. When I do sit down to watch something it's usually for an hour at most and then digital is more convenient. Not that I'm too lazy to load a disc, it's the infernal waiting process before you're allowed to start the movie. And it's always a crap shoot what offers resume and what doesn't. It's the industry's own fault, making blu-ray less convenient than DVD with all the non skippable warnings, auto downloading movie trailers and slow loading animated often confusing menus.

Picture and sound are far superior when read from physical media versus streaming or playing their digital counterparts. Digital is great for discount prices or convenient access to an obscure title, but I recommend getting physical copies of your favorites.  The more elaborate your home theatre, the bigger the difference.

Around the Network

I just got Megazone 23 and Pacific Rim films on Blu Ray.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I mostly watch digital copies, but I buy my favorites in 4K blu-ray. Streaming quality is really shit compared to physical, especially now that Netflix has strangled the bitrates, again. On a great TV, the difference is even bigger, especially in lighting if there is HDR available. My most recent purchase was the Lord of the Rings trilogy on 4K, which was a great buy. I rewatch them at least once a year.

Yes, feels good having a large DVD collection and people look so surprised when they see it 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

Nope and not sure I ever will. The last Blueray I bought was in 2009.

Could be tempted once i get own place and maybe have a dedicated media room but overall very happy with convenience of renting films and downloading them digitally. Rarely ever revisit things so renting tends to be my preference, only downside is compression during dark scenes.

Oh yeah, I buy a ton of 4K Blu Rays, minimum a couple a month, I just picked up Stranger Things Season 1 and 2 4K editions. I haven’t checked them out yet though haha. I’ll be grabbing the Dawn of the Dead 4K set!

I love having a physical media set, I find the audio and picture superior, I also find online selections hard and annoying to use a lot, my 4k’s, blue rays and DVD’s can’t be taken away unless my house burns and at that point ?‍♂️