By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Mar 21-27 - Switch Sells Nearly 750,000 as Monster Hunter Launches

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 20 

This weekly mini-series compares the aligned launch sales of the Xbox Series X|S with its predecessor, the Xbox One. 

The first week for the Xbox Series X|S is the week ending November 14, 2020, while for the Xbox One it is the week ending November 23, 2013.

The Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch on November 10, 2020, while the Xbox One had a staggered launch. The Xbox One launched in North America, parts of Europe, Australia, and South America on November 22, 2013, and in Japan, China, and other European countries in September 2014. 

Xbox Series X|S Vs. Xbox One Worldwide:

Gap change in latest week: 54,760 - XSX|S

Gap change over last month: 87,256 - XSX|S

Total Lead: 281,576 - XSX|S

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 4,323,055

Xbox One Total Sales: 4,041,479

During week 20, the Xbox Series X|S grew its lead when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox One by 54,760 units. In the last month the Xbox Series X|S has grown its lead by 87,256 units. The Xbox Series X|S is ahead by 281,576 units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 4.32 million units in 19 weeks, while the Xbox One has sold 4.04 million units. Week 20 for the Xbox Series X|S is the week ending March 27, 2021 and it is the week ending April 5, 2014 for the Xbox One.

The Xbox Series X|S is already ahead of the sales of the Xbox One after week 25, where the Xbox One sold 4,297,288. The Xbox Series X|S is just 13,672 units away from surpassing Xbox One sales after 26 weeks.

The Xbox One crossed five million units sold in week 37, six million units in week 47, and seven million units in week 52. 

So if at the end of this generation Xbox Series X/S maintained it's 1.069 ratio over Xbox One, they would sell 53,483,576 million Series X/S's. I do believe the gap will widen, but still nice to know what the bottom of X/S sales could look like based on how it's performed so far. If the gap widens at the rate it did in the last month then that number will be considerably higher (probably 70 million minimum). And the more amazing part about this is their PC market has grown with more consumers aware of and subscribing to Gamepass PC/Ultimate in addition the the also increasing Gamepass Console subscribers.

Xbox Division is in a much healthier position than they were at this point with the One, especially considering all those studios they have bought will be producing a TON of Xbox exclusives starting in 1-2 years. Honestly, because of how long it will take for many of these studios to get the exclusives out, I'm thinking this generation's Xbox devices could have the highest late life bump ratio ever seen in console history. The last 2 years of Series X/S(+ any other models they come out with) is going to be jam packed with games!

And we still don't know what the impact will be long term on having things like EA play, the backlog of Zenimax games, and if they get Ubisoft to put a bunch of games on Gamepass. That will only further contribute to booming subscribers as well as Xbox hardware sales.

Around the Network

Starting to genuinely wonder if PS4 can reach 120 million before being discontinued.

curl-6 said:

Starting to genuinely wonder if PS4 can reach 120 million before being discontinued.

Bro, I think that ship sailed a loooooong time ago. 

I don't even think it will catch the Game Boy at this rate.

PAOerfulone said:
curl-6 said:

To think there was serious discussion at one point about it catching up to DS/PS2.

curl-6 said:
PAOerfulone said:

To think there was serious discussion at one point about it catching up to DS/PS2.

I remember reading that after the PS4 Pro launched that 1 in every 5 PS4's sold was the Pro, and that 40% of those Pro sales were people who already owned PS4's upgrading to the shinier model.  They would have needed a lot more PS4 owners to swap out their already purchased consoles to the Pro model to inflate the lifetime sales high enough to reach the PS2.  I don't think that was ever realistically on the table.

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
curl-6 said:

I remember reading that after the PS4 Pro launched that 1 in every 5 PS4's sold was the Pro, and that 40% of those Pro sales were people who already owned PS4's upgrading to the shinier model.  They would have needed a lot more PS4 owners to swap out their already purchased consoles to the Pro model to inflate the lifetime sales high enough to reach the PS2.  I don't think that was ever realistically on the table.

I think just about all of us also expected PS4 to have much better legs than it ultimately did post-2019.

Granted, I never thought it could challenge PS2/DS but I did expect it to land somewhere in the 130-140 million range, prior to 2020.

curl-6 said:
Mandalore76 said:

I think just about all of us also expected PS4 to have much better legs than it ultimately did post-2019.

Granted, I never thought it could challenge PS2/DS but I did expect it to land somewhere in the 130-140 million range, prior to 2020.

Everyone would have expected the system to be $199 by now and in heavy supply but neither is true. PS4 has actually been supply constrained for a while now, no stock on amazon UK for the 500gb base model til June. This could be an unintended impact of Corona or a strange strategy from sony to shift all demand towards PS5. At this point in a playstation systems life we'd expect a new SKU, so the systems end of life has been handled completely different from past systems 

Otter said:
curl-6 said:

Everyone would have expected the system to be $199 by now and in heavy supply but neither is true. PS4 has actually been supply constrained for a while now, no stock on amazon UK for the 500gb base model til June. This could be an unintended impact of Corona or a strange strategy from sony to shift all demand towards PS5. At this point in a playstation systems life we'd expect a new SKU, so the systems end of life has been handled completely different from past systems 

It will be interesting in 7 years or so time to see if there is a Super Slim $199 PS5 on the market or not.  Or if the case holds true that as hardware gets more expensive, the fewer price cuts the system will receive in its end of cycle years, as has been the case with the WiiU, the PS4, and the XBox One.

Mandalore76 said:

It will be interesting in 7 years or so time to see if there is a Super Slim $199 PS5 on the market or not.  Or if the case holds true that as hardware gets more expensive, the fewer price cuts the system will receive in its end of cycle years, as has been the case with the WiiU, the PS4, and the XBox One.

You shouldn't really include the Wii U in there. It is like saying there was no Virtual boy revision. 

Dulfite said:

If the gap widens at the rate it did in the last month then that number will be considerably higher (probably 70 million minimum). 

Yeah no that's not gonna happen.

If the Series X/S sell barely more than Xbox One with game pass and cheaper price point (for Series S, and also Series X if you count inflation), that does say a lot.

For now, it's selling mostly to people:

- who own or owned an Xbox One, or

- who couldn't get a PS5 yet

Yeah, I know, "supply issues". But so has the PS5, and still manage to sell on par with PS4. And above all, Series S has less supply issues.

So I don't think it will sell "70 million minimum". We don't even know how accurate is the 50 million prediction for the Xbox One.