By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Mar 21-27 - Switch Sells Nearly 750,000 as Monster Hunter Launches

SKMBlake said:
Dulfite said:

If the gap widens at the rate it did in the last month then that number will be considerably higher (probably 70 million minimum). 

Yeah no that's not gonna happen.

If the Series X/S sell barely more than Xbox One with game pass and cheaper price point (for Series S, and also Series X if you count inflation), that does say a lot.

For now, it's selling mostly to people:

- who own or owned an Xbox One, or

- who couldn't get a PS5 yet

Yeah, I know, "supply issues". But so has the PS5, and still manage to sell on par with PS4. And above all, Series S has less supply issues.

So I don't think it will sell "70 million minimum". We don't even know how accurate is the 50 million prediction for the Xbox One.

How do you know who it is selling to mostly?

Also, I'd love to see how the PC gaming market now compares to Xbox One days. Whether it's Gamepass PC subscription or just buying games on Xbox PC platform, I believe it is growing. Every person that buys a pc and games on Gamepass PC instead of buying an Xbox still fills Microsoft's coffers (I bought a Razorblade 15 Advanced instead of an Xbox Series X, for example). PlayStation doesn't make up for lost revenue by having a PC storefront that they can sell all almost all their games or a subscription service on like Xbox does, so they NEED to do as well as the PS4 otherwise they are shrinking Y/Y, whereas even if Series S/X sold less than Xbox One, we don't know for certain whether or not their overall market is shrinking because we have no hard data on the PC front of things. If Series S/X does the same or better than One, then it is doing MUCH better than One because there are millions (at least) of people gaming on Gamepass PC instead of buying an Xbox or PlayStation.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
SKMBlake said:

Yeah no that's not gonna happen.

If the Series X/S sell barely more than Xbox One with game pass and cheaper price point (for Series S, and also Series X if you count inflation), that does say a lot.

For now, it's selling mostly to people:

- who own or owned an Xbox One, or

- who couldn't get a PS5 yet

Yeah, I know, "supply issues". But so has the PS5, and still manage to sell on par with PS4. And above all, Series S has less supply issues.

So I don't think it will sell "70 million minimum". We don't even know how accurate is the 50 million prediction for the Xbox One.

Also, I'd love to see how the PC gaming market now compares to Xbox One days. Whether it's Gamepass PC subscription or just buying games on Xbox PC platform, I believe it is growing. Every person that buys a pc and games on Gamepass PC instead of buying an Xbox still fills Microsoft's coffers (I bought a Razorblade 15 Advanced instead of an Xbox Series X, for example). PlayStation doesn't make up for lost revenue by having a PC storefront that they can sell all almost all their games or a subscription service on like Xbox does, so they NEED to do as well as the PS4 otherwise they are shrinking Y/Y, whereas even if Series S/X sold less than Xbox One, we don't know for certain whether or not their overall market is shrinking because we have no hard data on the PC front of things. If Series S/X does the same or better than One, then it is doing MUCH better than One because there are millions (at least) of people gaming on Gamepass PC instead of buying an Xbox or PlayStation.

It's a website and forum about console sales, you can argue how it doesn't matter, but we mostly are here because we are interested in console sales. Subscription numbers is a nice bonus, but that doesn't change the fact about why we (mostly) are here.

SKMBlake said:
Dulfite said:

It's a website and forum about console sales, you can argue how it doesn't matter, but we mostly are here because we are interested in console sales. Subscription numbers is a nice bonus, but that doesn't change the fact about why we (mostly) are here.

VGChartz existed before subscription services like Gamepass did, but that doesn't mean it has to be locked into that kind of mindset forward, especially given how much money is being generated by Gamepass on a monthly/annual basis and how much will be generated at their current growth rates. If subscription services are decreasing hardware sales for one company (while increasing market share on where games are being played) then that absolutely should be a major factor of discussion for any sales website.

Dulfite said:
SKMBlake said:

VGChartz existed before subscription services like Gamepass did, but that doesn't mean it has to be locked into that kind of mindset forward, especially given how much money is being generated by Gamepass on a monthly/annual basis and how much will be generated at their current growth rates. If subscription services are decreasing hardware sales for one company (while increasing market share on where games are being played) then that absolutely should be a major factor of discussion for any sales website.

How much is being generated by gamepass? Do you know? Had MS anounced anything?

All we have is a subs number that dosent even state if its concurrent subs. One time try. One dollar per month offer. Buy an Xbox get 3 months offer. None of that is know so how do you know its generating a lot of money?

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Chicho said:
Mandalore76 said:

It will be interesting in 7 years or so time to see if there is a Super Slim $199 PS5 on the market or not.  Or if the case holds true that as hardware gets more expensive, the fewer price cuts the system will receive in its end of cycle years, as has been the case with the WiiU, the PS4, and the XBox One.

You shouldn't really include the Wii U in there. It is like saying there was no Virtual boy revision. 

Disagree.  The Virtual Boy was cancelled in less than 1 year.  While the Wii U wasn't a success by any stretch of the imagination, it was still pushed by Nintendo as their home console from November 2012 until the Switch launched in March 2017.  That's over 4 years in the marketplace.  And it only received 1 price cut early in it's lifespan, and that was a $50 reduction of the 32 GB model in September 2013.  It's relevant to note that Nintendo never dropped the price to even $199 to try and shift more systems later in the Wii U's lifecycle.  The Gamecube similarly flopped to the Wii U and was replaced in 5 years, yet it still had more price cuts than the Wii U.  

Around the Network

Next weekly numbers due today as usual? Or a bit later?

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Next weekly numbers due today as usual? Or a bit later?

Tomorrow. I'm waiting for NPD to release. 

Alrighty, thanks for the update. :)

Could see some very hefty sales for NSW/PS5. I'd wager PS5 builds a big lead over PS4's equivalent March. We just got an AP report saying overall (not just gaming) US retail sales were up 9.8% YoY in March 2021 vs. 2020 (stimulus boost).

April should get some carry-over stimulus boost as well, and since tax filing deadlines got pushed, tax returns will still be flowing in.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Alrighty, thanks for the update. :)

No problem. I am hopeful we get leaks or at a minimum a rough idea of sales. 

I have absolutely no idea on the matter so I'll just ask: is it too expensive to buy NPD data ?

SKMBlake said:
trunkswd said:

No problem. I am hopeful we get leaks or at a minimum a rough idea of sales. 

I have absolutely no idea on the matter so I'll just ask: is it too expensive to buy NPD data ?

IIRC it was around 10k$ per month. I read this here more than a year ago so I'm probably wrong, but they are expensive.

Zanark best Inazuma Eleven pg