By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Mar 21-27 - Switch Sells Nearly 750,000 as Monster Hunter Launches

trunkswd said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

Oh, i guess the global totals page must get manually updated... this still has Switch at 81.69m
https://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

So yes, barring major downward adjusments Switch will definitely pass PS3 this quarter also.

That is automatically updated. It just for whatever reason takes forever and a lot of the time when we adjust the numbers it won't update until we publish another week of figures. 

From what I've seen it seems to update at random, though it does seem to update within 24 hours of new numbers being posted, just my observations though.

Around the Network

Switch hardware sales in NA are almost as much as Japan.  The Monster Hunter series has definitely taken hold in NA.  Also, Switch sold almost 750k this week and is still down 6% YoY.  It's starting to look like March is the new Christmas.

mk7sx said:

NSW missed the Q1 sales record by 49K with one week remaining, so it is guaranteed.  Will not be losing its lead on 2020 anytime soon.

It needs only 511K in week 13 in order to take the all-time non-holiday quarter record of 5,886K by NDS in Q2 2007.  6M is also possible, but if it happens, it'll be if NPD and/or Nintendo's shipment numbers go higher than VGChartz is currently estimating.  Next few weeks will be telling as actual data pours in.

Fastest to 10M is also on the table.  NDS 07 and NSW 2020 both hit the 10M mark in week 23.  NSW needs to average 463K from here on out to hit that mark by week 22.

Wow, Switch has a pretty decent lead right now.  I know that NDS for 2007 is still going to be tough competition all year, but it really is amazing to see how well Switch 2021 is doing.  It has over 1m lead on 2020, and there were lots of weeks with shortages last year.  It really looks like 2021 is going to outdo 2020.

NS is on fire!
PS5 good, but it pales in comparison.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Switch is having another fantastic year to the extent it's gonna have the best start to a year ever for any console, PS5 is gonna pass PS4 soon and Xbox Series X/S is continuing to build its lead over the Xbox One by selling not that far away away from double the same week for an increasing amount of weeks so each is doing well to varying degrees. I think this could end up being the first time in gaming history where each relevant console maker ends up doing better than last time which would be cool. Usually for one to do better another has to falter but both the PS5 and Xbox Series X/S doing better than their predecessors would be good for the health of the market so hopefully that happens.

Switch really out here going to have the best year for a console EVER in it's 5th year. If it can get the best Q1 like that, it will do well in Q2 enough to not lose it's lead. No matter what happens, this holiday season will be bigger than last year. There will be a revision or a price cut and i will die on this hill. They will get the price down this year i swear. Last year's holiday was kinda underwhelming and stopped the Switch from doing 30 millions. This year, it will def get a better holiday quarter. Knowing next year will have strong software as well...

Yea i don't see the Switch not getting best selling console of all time now. Idc, it's early but i just see it happening now. Unless Nintendo pulls the plog super early, i really think they will manage to do it.

Around the Network

All-Time Console Sales List:

1) PlayStation 2 (PS2) - 157,680,000 (155,000,000+ according to Sony) Mar. 31st, 2012

2) Nintendo DS (DS) - 154,900,000 (154,020,000 according to Nintendo) - Dec. 31st, 2020

3) Game Boy (GB/GBC) - 118,690,000

4) PlayStation 4 (PS4) - 115,271,202 (114,900,000+ according to Sony) - Dec. 31st, 2020

5) PlayStation (PS1) - 102,500,000 (102,400,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2012

6) Nintendo Wii (Wii) - 101,640,000 (101,630,000 according to Nintendo) - Dec. 31st, 2020

7) PlayStation 3 (PS3) - 87,410,000 (87,400,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2017

8) Xbox 360 (360) - 85,800,000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9) Nintendo Switch (NS) - 82,422,894 (79,870,000 according to Nintendo) - Dec. 31st, 2020

The Switch has now toppled the 82 million mark and rapidly approached the 360. 

Switch is insane. Baseline over 400k and big launch is 750k. Assuming this year new model + holiday BotW2 & Pokemon launches, Nintendo is definitely trying to outdo the hardware peak from last year! Switch should most likely pass Wii and PS1 in December.

I was hoping for an 800k week but close enough I suppose

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Yup, NS is going to outsell Wii this year. PS4 next year. 

I was hoping for a 14 million week. Colour me the most disappointed on this forum!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.