By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 14, 2021 - (Mar 29 - Apr 4)

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

^ Well what do you know, when Japanese third parties support the Switch, they make bank in Japan, who would've thought? They're just now catching up to where they really should've been in 2019.

At least, it can make us confidant in the eventual Switch 2 or new Nintendo's platform where japanese third party devs will prolly manage a faster turnout than they did with the Switch.

Are you sure? It is the same with every Nintendo console, 3rd-parties are cautious to support it. And while Nintendo has their breakout successes which also help 3rd-parties (Just Dance anyone), they also have their stinkers like WiiU. So I am confident, that the Nintendo circle will continue - a new console will lacking pretty much any 3rd-party content at start.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Something not talked about shipments!!

First off I’m predicting 40mil in japan, for this to happen we need 2021/2022 to have huge years. Like a whopping 7.5mil-8mil one for 2021. Let’s begin....

NSW 2020 shipments (CY)

Q1: 1020k
Q2: 1150k
Q3: 1580k
Q4: 2710k
Tot: 6440k
LTD: 18.88mil

—> 3DS: 25.18mil (6.30mil away)
—> DS: 32.99mil (14.11mil away)

nsw 2020 is the 3rd best year for shipments....

DS06: 8730k >>>  DS07: 7230k >>> NSW20 6440k >>> 3DS12 6220k

Edit: this is the year to beat DS07 as DS06 is almost impossible!

DS07 breakdown

Q1: 1590k (biggest Q1 ever)

Q2: 2090k (2nd biggest and NSW20 1150k was 3rd biggest)

Q3: 1600k

Q4: 1950k

tot: 7230k

Last edited by tbone51 - on 14 April 2021

Mar1217 said:
Mnementh said:

Are you sure? It is the same with every Nintendo console, 3rd-parties are cautious to support it. And while Nintendo has their breakout successes which also help 3rd-parties (Just Dance anyone), they also have their stinkers like WiiU. So I am confident, that the Nintendo circle will continue - a new console will lacking pretty much any 3rd-party content at start.

Well that's easy. You simply have to take a look at the WiiU's first year in terms of first party. Following the success of the Wii. It's successor got more 3rd party support than most Nintendo consoles usually do in their first year. 

I'm sure these publishers were adamant at the time that Nintendo would replicate the success of the Wii so they went in early. I'm expecting the same for the Switch 2 or whatever ... or even better ! 

We'll see, although I remain sceptical.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 14 April 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mar1217 said:
Mnementh said:

Well that's easy. You simply have to take a look at the WiiU's first year in terms of first party. Following the success of the Wii. It's successor got more 3rd party support than most Nintendo consoles usually do in their first year. 

I'm sure these publishers were adamant at the time that Nintendo would replicate the success of the Wii so they went in early. I'm expecting the same for the Switch 2 or whatever ... or even better ! 

Indeed, we got Mass Effect, Batman Arkham, Assassin's Creed, Darksiders, and other games between 2012 and 2013, that was great

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

^ Well what do you know, when Japanese third parties support the Switch, they make bank in Japan, who would've thought? They're just now catching up to where they really should've been in 2019.

At least, it can make us confidant in the eventual Switch 2 or new Nintendo's platform where japanese third party devs will prolly manage a faster turnout than they did with the Switch.

Yeah, I mean Switch 2 is numerous years away, but yeah hopefully by then Japanese third parties (and, well, just third parties in general) are ready to bring out big games on Switch 2 starting from launch, rather than having to wait 4 years to see the very first brand new AAA third party game

DQXII should come out in a couple years or so. Hopefully there will be more brand new AAA third parties games on Switch before then, but that is another obvious mega selling Japanese game that should come new, though likely not exclusive, on the Switch and once again show third parties that if you actually make games for the Switch you'll make lots of money.

Around the Network

Without any competition in Japan, it's fairly ease to envision continued support for Nintendo's next console.
Sony needs to do it's best to get third parties on-board with the PS5 but it's a chicken versus the egg situation, since there is basically no momentum without constant software releases and third parties aren't really in a rush to support a platform without constant software performance.

Dragon Quest 12 should by all common sense measures be a lock for Switch, though part of me expects Sony to moneyhat it to try to make PS5 relevant in Japan.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 April 2021

The problem with Sony money hatting Dragon Quest is that it only really moves consoles in the Japanese market and Sony isn't really invested in the Japanese market these days, it's why Studio Japan was significantly shrunk.

Hell, I can see Nintendo being the ones to money-hat it, especially if they promise to help with the localization to make it a worldwide release.

Pretty sure they would have already tried to moneyhat DQ only problem is SE don't control the franchise it belongs solely to Horii himself. This is why the series is on Nintendo platforms right now as Horii isn't interested in being moneyhatted he wants to hit the largest user base possible, at this point any moneyhatting would be purely for a non switch version to even exist he would have also seen FF's decline in Japan and realize any deal to make him break his rule is not viable as DQ doesn't have the luxury of high Western sales.

animegaming said:

The problem with Sony money hatting Dragon Quest is that it only really moves consoles in the Japanese market and Sony isn't really invested in the Japanese market these days, it's why Studio Japan was significantly shrunk.

Hell, I can see Nintendo being the ones to money-hat it, especially if they promise to help with the localization to make it a worldwide release.

This isn't really true though. Japan studios have not had a  hit in japan for decades, sonys western studios have actually had bigger success' (TLOU/Spiderman/Horizon/GOT). Japan and japanese games are still important for sony, but they're not interested in making it in house. Dragon Quest is not a huge seller in the west but it is a good seller. Establishing Playstation as the place to be for JRPGS can really sway millions of consoles and 10s of millions in software, so its not trivial.

But I agree with your later point that its equally likely (if not more so) that Nintendo money hats it and does a localisation/publishing effort as they have done for several SE games in the past including DQ9 (publishing & marketing it in the west)