By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I bet digital sales are high on Xbox not because digital is dominate on Xbox, but Gamepass games have like a 20% discount if you want to buy it. So in the U.K. with their outrageous prices might just be buying digital.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

People always wanting to hate on Gamepass really annoy me. The program has saved me hundreds of dollars. It has allowed me to try and enjoy games I wouldn't have ever bought, and try and hate games I would have otherwise purchased regretfully. Microsoft is obviously paying these third parties well because if not, why would they put their games on Gamepass? And if MS is paying them well, then either they are making a lot of money off of an increasing subscriber base, or they are anticipating they will based on data they have collected so far. Gamepass is great for consumers, great for investors, great for developers. The only people I see hate on it are the ones who are obsessed with sales figures and treat them like they are everything. This is 2021 people, it's very much about subscription models, will one day be ALL about subscription models, and it will NEVER go back to ALL being about sales figures again.

Why spend $500-1000 a year on game purchases for games, 90% of them, you will never touch again? It's a silly waste of money for those of us buying digitally. I only spend $180 a year on Gamepass PC.

I think the hate is entertaining and it's been interesting to watch it evolve over the last couple years.

First it was that we would never see any big third party games on it, but then those came.
Then all the MS games would be episodic, but that is yet to happen. Only thing episodic was Tell Me Why and that developer was already doing episodic before GamePass.
Then it was MS would only do small A/AA games, yet we got stuff like Gears 5 and Horizon.
Then it was MS would stop caring about quality and only release trash on it. Yet it's full of amazing games.
Then it was that MS would jack the price way up, and yet it's stayed $10/15 even with EA Play added. They've also started adding some big third party games day one (Outriders, Show 21).

Now the goal posts have shifted again and it's bad for retailers, everyone please think of the GameStop's and Walmart's of the world.

Even without GamePass, digital are overtaking physical anyway. it was in 2019 or 2020, can't remember which, that Sony confirmed that digital sales had reached 50% and was continuing to grow.

The cheaper 400$ PS5 all-digital will likely outsell the 500$ regular PS5 by the end of the gen. The casuals will flock to the digital. Right now, the hardcore are preferring the disc one, but by the end of the gen, it will be the opposite. I will not be surprised at all, if Sony reports physical game sales to be around 20% or less.

Retail sales aren't the #1 metric that is used anymore. It's all about the active number of users/subscribers. In the US, Marvel's Avengers was the best-selling game in September 2020, and 11th overall in 2020. Yet today, just a few months into 2021, it is a ghost town and considered a massive financial flop for Square Enix. Outriders being in GamePass ensures that there will always be steady stream of new users to flock into the game, and a healthy playerbase, which is what matters. I see more people talking about Outriders than Marvel's Avengers at launch, despite one being a new IP and the other one of the biggest IP in entertainment right now, and I think GamePass is definitively helping.

Last edited by hiccupthehuman - on 06 April 2021

Maybe its not even gamepass....

Resident Evil Village UK sales split:
"49% of its sales were on PS5, 31% on PS4 and 20% on Xbox." - gamesindustry.biz

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-05-10-resident-evil-village-is-the-third-biggest-ps5-launch-so-far-uk-boxed-charts

JRPGfan said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-05-10-resident-evil-village-is-the-third-biggest-ps5-launch-so-far-uk-boxed-charts

Hmmm it seems like the majority of the Xbox fanbase in the UK doesn't seem to care for physical boxed games anymore, regardless of Gamepass or not. 

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:
JRPGfan said:

Hmmm it seems like the majority of the Xbox fanbase in the UK doesn't seem to care for physical boxed games anymore, regardless of Gamepass or not. 

Or the Xbox users, just dont buy as many games? it makes sense, why bother when you get free games to play from gamepass?

JRPGfan said:

Apparently, its 52% PS5, 31% PS4, 17% Xbox Series/Xbox One.
Thats over 83% of retail sales are on Sony side.

Gamepass, litterally killing retail sales for this title on xbox side.
Makes you wonder if the trend continues, theres still value in retail stores, selling xbox consoles+games.
You could imagine it reaches a point, where the profits for the retail side, are so small, its not worth it (because gamepass took it all from them).

Digital stores & services, killing the physical ones...

thats low sales all round for xbox sure many will just play on gamepass but in no way is that an equalizer for the publisher. 

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

konnichiwa said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I wonder if retail stores will think about seriously stop selling hardware if platform holders keep pushing for things like Gamepass. Why would they sell products that will enter in such clear competition with themselves? Retailers make most of their profit from software sales, after all...

Do they?  Gamestores changed from 95% being about games to 40% games and 60% merchandise and other stuff. Why sell only digital consoles anyway especially when physically sales seem to shrink on average year by year;..

Exactly right. I've heard this argument about retail not selling products which will come to compete with themselves far too often. Not only - as you point out - is it contradicted by their current practices, but it also presumes a level of strategic power that retailers simply don't have.

Even if they believed they could actually influence the install base (which given how many routes there are to buy a console, is highly dubitable), it would have to be by enough for it to be worth sacrificing the margin on the console, and the margin on all the extras you could have sold the guy coming in buying one, (a charger, a headset, an extra controller etc.), and explicitly send him to another retailer who does sell the cheaper console he wants. 

So yeah. NO. 

JRPGfan said:
Blood_Tears said:

Or the Xbox users, just dont buy as many games? it makes sense, why bother when you get free games to play from gamepass?

That's exactly my situation. I didn't buy a single game since I subscribed to play Gears 5 on 2019. I would've bought Cyberpunk if it didn't have bugs. Still waiting for next gen update now.

I went from buying 1-2 games per month to 1-2 games per year due to Gamepass. 

JRPGfan said:
Blood_Tears said:

Its supports the backlog problem as well. We seen the stories here all to often. "I got such a big backlog i can wait to get this game when its discounted". Thanks to gamepass they can indefinitely wait as different games keep getting added and they know after a certain time the game will just end up in gamepass with whatever extra content launches later.

Xbox users are in fact desincentivized to buy games. Third party publishers and devs will take notice. Just look at square enix. No wonder they are trying to buy so many studios. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.