By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Interesting thing of all, is that the PS5 version of RE8 alone, outsold the Series X/S and Xbone versions together.



Around the Network
jason1637 said:

We got an update on the Resident Evil 8 split 

58% of the sales were on PlayStation, 31% on Xbox and 11% on PC.

If we look at consoles only that 65.2% on PlayStation and 34.8% on Xbox. 

Its like playstation users spend more money, buy more games than xbox users.

Tbh part of that is probably just subscription services (gamepass) and xbox guys being more "games as a services" types (play 1 game forever, spend on micro transactions instead). Part could also be user base, theres probably more PS5s out there, than XSX/XSS.

All I know though, is as a games dev, you sure as hell want your game to be on playstation.



hiccupthehuman said:

There we go. From the UK monthly: Total RE8 sales split = PS: 58%, XB: 31%, PC: 11%

So when you do include digital sales, the RE8 console split is 65%/35% PS/XB, which is much more in line with the ~60%/40% PS/XB split in the UK.

As I had always said, digital sales on Xbox are higher, and balance things out.
Not that the split matters all that much, it's all about profits anyway. PC is "only" an 11% split, so according to the logic of some people here, developers will soon abandon PC gaming because of its "minuscule market share". When in reality even Sony is now jumping into PC gaming for the first time ever ;p.

So what was the sales split for Outriders, since that was on Gamepass?



Blood_Tears said:
hiccupthehuman said:

There we go. From the UK monthly: Total RE8 sales split = PS: 58%, XB: 31%, PC: 11%

So when you do include digital sales, the RE8 console split is 65%/35% PS/XB, which is much more in line with the ~60%/40% PS/XB split in the UK.

As I had always said, digital sales on Xbox are higher, and balance things out.
Not that the split matters all that much, it's all about profits anyway. PC is "only" an 11% split, so according to the logic of some people here, developers will soon abandon PC gaming because of its "minuscule market share". When in reality even Sony is now jumping into PC gaming for the first time ever ;p.

So what was the sales split for Outriders, since that was on Gamepass?

We don't know, but Outriders was the best-selling digital game on Xbox during its launch week, and was in the top 10 best-selling games on Xbox during April.

The #1 game was MLB The Show 21, also a GP day one title.

Clearly, Game Pass is not harming game sales like some people want to believe.

Bringing the Joy and Community of Gaming to Everyone - Xbox Wire



Xbox is in trouble if UK splits are anything to go by. UK is a region that is generally favourable to Xbox. EU is even more slanted to Sony and Asia is pretty much entirely Sony (in terms of PS:XB ratio).

Nier: 89% (UK)
Hitman: 75/20 (UK)
Outriders: 83/17 (UK)
ME:LE : 68/32(UK)
Biomutant: 71/29 (UK)
C2077 (2020): 62/38 (WW)

70/30 in the UK most likely means 75/25 WW. If the title is JP and has a notable audience in Asia then you are looking at 80-90% of sales on Playstation.

To put this another way. 70% of nearly all third party games sold on consoles happen on Playstation. 80% of all (EDIT) third party JP games sold on consoles, that are not on Nintendo, happen on Playstation.

Sony have not dominated the console space like this since the PS2 days. Not even PS4 had such massive marketshare in terms of games sold.

Last edited by src - on 13 June 2021

Around the Network
src said:

Xbox is in trouble if UK splits are anything to go by. UK is a region that is generally favourable to Xbox. EU is even more slanted to Sony and Asia is pretty much entirely Sony (in terms of PS:XB ratio).

Nier: 89% (UK)
Hitman: 75/20 (UK)
Outriders: 83/17 (UK)
ME:LE : 68/32(UK)
Biomutant: 71/29 (UK)
C2077 (2020): 62/38 (WW)

70/30 in the UK most likely means 75/25 WW. If the title is JP and has a notable audience in Asia then you are looking at 80-90% of sales on Playstation.

To put this another way. 70% of nearly all third party games sold on consoles happen on Playstation. 80% of all JP games sold on consoles, that are not on Nintendo, happen on Playstation.

Sony have not dominated the console space like this since the PS2 days. Not even PS4 had such massive marketshare in terms of games sold.

so we dont count nintendo because the switch got dropped from a cliff?



 "I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
src said:

Xbox is in trouble if UK splits are anything to go by. UK is a region that is generally favourable to Xbox. EU is even more slanted to Sony and Asia is pretty much entirely Sony (in terms of PS:XB ratio).

Nier: 89% (UK)
Hitman: 75/20 (UK)
Outriders: 83/17 (UK)
ME:LE : 68/32(UK)
Biomutant: 71/29 (UK)
C2077 (2020): 62/38 (WW)

70/30 in the UK most likely means 75/25 WW. If the title is JP and has a notable audience in Asia then you are looking at 80-90% of sales on Playstation.

To put this another way. 70% of nearly all third party games sold on consoles happen on Playstation. 80% of all JP games sold on consoles, that are not on Nintendo, happen on Playstation.

Sony have not dominated the console space like this since the PS2 days. Not even PS4 had such massive marketshare in terms of games sold.

so we dont count nintendo because the switch got dropped from a cliff?

Third parties don't count Nintendo. 90% of third party games miss Switch.



src said:
kirby007 said:

so we dont count nintendo because the switch got dropped from a cliff?

Third parties don't count Nintendo. 90% of third party games miss Switch.

ah so 3rd parties dropped the switch



 "I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

src said:

Xbox is in trouble if UK splits are anything to go by. UK is a region that is generally favourable to Xbox. EU is even more slanted to Sony and Asia is pretty much entirely Sony (in terms of PS:XB ratio).

Nier: 89% (UK)
Hitman: 75/20 (UK)
Outriders: 83/17 (UK)
ME:LE : 68/32(UK)
Biomutant: 71/29 (UK)
C2077 (2020): 62/38 (WW)

70/30 in the UK most likely means 75/25 WW. If the title is JP and has a notable audience in Asia then you are looking at 80-90% of sales on Playstation.

To put this another way. 70% of nearly all third party games sold on consoles happen on Playstation. 80% of all (EDIT) third party JP games sold on consoles, that are not on Nintendo, happen on Playstation.

Sony have not dominated the console space like this since the PS2 days. Not even PS4 had such massive marketshare in terms of games sold.

Sigh... ANOTHER "Xbox is in trouble because of the split"? And again using only physical sales. We've already established Xbox sales are higher digitally...

Xbox is not in trouble. Xbox is literally more profitable than ever. 3rd party sales are higher than ever. Profits are higher than ever. The trillion dollar parent company, Microsoft, is now fully backing and investing in Xbox.

Devs don't care all that much about the split (tho fanboys seem to care a lot about them).

It's all about profits. Just like how Horizon: Zero Dawn has a split ~90%/10% on PS/PC; but the PC release generated a 250% return on investment. So Sony is going to continue to release games on PC (as their leaked internal document has revealed).

It's the same thing on Xbox. Even if only 20% of sales are on Xbox, so what? The return of investment is massive for the developers. And they'll continue to support Xbox. 

Last edited by hiccupthehuman - on 13 June 2021

hiccupthehuman said:

There we go. From the UK monthly: Total RE8 sales split = PS: 58%, XB: 31%, PC: 11%

So when you do include digital sales, the RE8 console split is 65%/35% PS/XB, which is much more in line with the ~60%/40% PS/XB split in the UK.

As I had always said, digital sales on Xbox are higher, and balance things out.
Not that the split matters all that much, it's all about profits anyway. PC is "only" an 11% split, so according to the logic of some people here, developers will soon abandon PC gaming because of its "minuscule market share". When in reality even Sony is now jumping into PC gaming for the first time ever ;p.

RE8 launched to ~50K going by Era estimates and the split was 80:20 PS:Xbox.

PS4/5: 40K
XB1/XS: 10K

But then the split goes to 58:31:11 with digital. David Gibson said digital for RE8 was around 50% at launch. Let's assume PS is 50% digital. That then means

PS4/5: 80K
XB1/XS: 43K

Xbox has a 77% digital share. If PS has a 60% digital share

PS4/5: 100K
XB1/XS: 53K

Xbox has an 81% digital share.

Actually there is info on physical RE8 after 4 weeks. So here's that. ~83K total. 50% digital for PS5 assuming retail split is still 80:20 after 4 weeks.

PS4/5: 133K
XB1/XS: 71K

Xbox has a 76% digital share. If PS has a 60% digital share

PS4/5: 166K
XB1/XS: 89K

Xbox has an 81% digital share.

Physical only charts are objectively worthless for Xbox and offer no real info. Xbox also has a +20% digital share compared to PS which is a pretty big jump.

Last edited by Welfare - on 14 June 2021

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287