By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's distractionary tactic to make them untouchable

I just want to make this visible to people, don't know if you've noticed it.

Mario is supposed to die in two days. Haha, funny meme, right? You don't see the forest for the trees. Nintendo will get away with it because of the environment they set up for themselves.

From fan game take downs, to pokemon SW&SH lacking pokemon, to limited edition 3d Mario Allstar being limited. Their games starts at $60 and it stays there. Old ports from Wii U generation found new life on switch at $60. Their online is meager than compared to the other two console makers. And on and on and on. But it doesn't matter. 

Through wit, cunning, or luck, Nintendo has made the world for itself. They do all the negative things decision wise, but they've built a following like no other. There's a cycle and it goes like this. They make great games, they make fan negative decisions, announce new games to hype, release great games. That's it. But you have to read between those time frames.

Let's take Mario 3d allstars for instance. People online are mad, videos are being made, but Nintendo sees them as fickle, as most gamers are. Nintendo only needs to continue to announce new games for their bad controversy to go away. Nintendo knows that there will be people who are going to pirate games, but as most people who have ever pirated a Nintendo game, they know that the best way to play Nintendo games are with Nintendo consoles(Especially 3ds, DS generation). The people who pirate games aren't as vast as you'd think and the sales numbers suggest just that. Despite the bad press about Mario, Monster hunters rise just sold 4 million copies since Friday. Why? Because the global market doesn't care about that stuff. Those in the know like people on VG chartz that follow gaming trend, is actually very little compared to the casual global market. Then there are those in the know, like you or I, but just don't care because we're fickle. "Look at this new shiny thing, it's beautiful, isn't it?"

Nintendo games have a 4 month period of releasing a Nintendo game. By the time they drop, the hype train is in full swing. No one cares about #freemelee when Breath of the wild 2 is out. No one is pirating Splatoon 3 when you can play it on the real. No one is caring about pokemon low poly count when Pokemon legends Arceus is available. And those who do, are very little compared to the 81+ million switch owners who will continue to buy in the droves.

Unless tomorrow we find out that Miyamoto is a serial killer, no bad press is going to take down Nintendo and their wall of precedence it created for itself is strong and intact. And if you think that Nintendo is making dumb decisions because they're dumb, well remember this. While you think you're playing Nintendo, Nintendo is playing you.

Edit: Also, they don't do the stupid stuff that put them in the hot seat. They don't have people that say stupid stuff on interviews and on youtube. They don't embed themselves in politics and trends that are hot right now. They're low key, when it comes to bad controversy, stating something small and letting it be that way. Switch Pro? We have nothing in plan. That's it. Now we wait for it to drop.

Around the Network

I agree Nintendo get away more easily with controversy than Sony or Microsoft, but I'm not sure if this is due to a specific Nintendo strategy or due to the simple fact Nintendo is the only hardware manufacturer that can release their games 

I mean, I hate Nintendo price policy and their paid online is garbage, but well their games are unique and they bother to spend a big budget production in games such as Animal Crossing and Ring Fit Adventure. Plus they are the only ones releasing portable and a hybrid. They have their share of problems, but they offer a experience other manufacturers don't. I just dont buy games that I don't see much value like I've skipped 3D all stars and will for sure skipe Skyward Sword HD

So yeah, I'm likely to overlook Nintendo bad practices as long they keep releasing good hardware and software

This would have been a decent argument if the WiiU never happened. Nintendo has made some poor decisions, but they have made way more good decisions imo. Every big gaming company does stupid shit. What exactly did Nintendo get away with that Sony, MS, EA and Activision didnt get away with? How are they suffering in a way Nintendo isnt?

Seems like the TL:DR version of this is that the distractionary tactic in question is to make games that people want to buy?

I'm really not sure why this is being presented as something nefarious or underhanded, or some flaw in their customers.

If I think I'm going to get 60 dollars worth of enjoyment out of Monster Hunter Rise, then I'll buy Monster Hunter Rise. I'm not sure why what they're doing with Mario All Stars should factor into that decision at all. I think it's a dumb decision, but not a "ok now I won't buy anything from you ever again" decision.

If you don't think Sword and Shield is worth buying without all of the Pokemon, then you shouldn't buy it. And if Pokemon Arceus looks like it is worth it to you, then you should buy that. It's not being fickle it's spending my money in a way I think will lead to enjoyment.

It's like if I go to a restaurant, and the chicken is disgusting, but the steak is delicious. Doesn't mean I'm going to boycott the restaurant out of spite, I'm just going to stick to ordering the steak. Again, not fickle, just a matter of spending my money on things I like. Maybe the restaurant could do something so immoral that I would refuse to patronize them at all, but short of that, there's no reason for me to deny myself some delicious steak out of principle.

So, yeah. Companies are going to do good stuff and bad. Support the good, don't support the bad. That's all.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 29 March 2021

Nintendo is a hot girl who knows she's hot. Sure we love her for it, but dammit sometimes it gets frustrating.

But my only real gripes with the Switch though are:
- they never bothered to actually fix joycon drift
- 3D All Stars very obviously should have included Galaxy 2 and it makes no sense that it didn't
- online play could be better and they need to add N64, GB, and GBA to Switch Online but they just haven't bothered to do this
- Wii U ports and some remakes clearly shouldn't be at full price or at least should be discounted after a bit when their sales go down
- ... also give me ports of Wii Sports Club, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and a Zelda collection already dammit!! :)

But most of the pissed off people are just people who like to complain on the internet. Even if some of their complaints are legit, no company is gonna do everything perfectly. And it's not like cuz people complain about one game it means they aren't going to buy other games they want.

Around the Network

"Cancel culture" about to stop consuming a product is not a thing in real world. Or not that popular. If we had leave to consume a product because that company have bad practices, very few products would survive. This would have to be something really bad for happen. The most things you mention are not that bad.

Last edited by alejollorente10 - on 30 March 2021

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

theDX said:
Ouroboros24 said:

Let's take Mario 3d allstars for instance. People online are mad, videos are being made, but Nintendo sees them as fickle, as most gamers are. Nintendo only needs to continue to announce new games for their bad controversy to go away. Nintendo knows that there will be people who are going to pirate games, but as most people who have ever pirated a Nintendo game, they know that the best way to play Nintendo games are with Nintendo consoles(Especially 3ds, DS generation). The people who pirate games aren't as vast as you'd think and the sales numbers suggest just that. Despite the bad press about Mario, Monster hunters rise just sold 4 million copies since Friday. Why? Because the global market doesn't care about that stuff. Those in the know like people on VG chartz that follow gaming trend, is actually very little compared to the casual global market. Then there are those in the know, like you or I, but just don't care because we're fickle. "Look at this new shiny thing, it's beautiful, isn't it?"

The real reason why Capcom's Monster Hunter Rise is unaffected by people outraged at Nintendo for delisting SMAS3D would shock you, so I won't say it.

Ouroboros24 said:

Nintendo games have a 4 month period of releasing a Nintendo game. By the time they drop, the hype train is in full swing. No one cares about #freemelee when Breath of the wild 2 is out. No one is pirating Splatoon 3 when you can play it on the real. No one is caring about pokemon low poly count when Pokemon legends Arceus is available. And those who do, are very little compared to the 81+ million switch owners who will continue to buy in the droves.

Unless tomorrow we find out that Miyamoto is a serial killer, no bad press is going to take down Nintendo and their wall of precedence it created for itself is strong and intact. And if you think that Nintendo is making dumb decisions because they're dumb, well remember this. While you think you're playing Nintendo, Nintendo is playing you.

Edit: Also, they don't do the stupid stuff that put them in the hot seat. They don't have people that say stupid stuff on interviews and on youtube. They don't embed themselves in politics and trends that are hot right now. They're low key, when it comes to bad controversy, stating something small and letting it be that way. Switch Pro? We have nothing in plan. That's it. Now we wait for it to drop.

Nintendo doesn't make the Pokemon games either.

Don't be overdramatic. It's just people that like Monster hunter rise and don't give a damn about internet outrage over some old Mario games being limited releases

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I find the celebratory tone of this topic rather disturbing.

Well, people can (rightfully) complain about the limited release of Mario, but still be excited for BOTW2. That is nothing new. See it this way: I dislike a lot of stuff EA does. But they have old IPs I would like a rerelease on a modern platform of: original Dragon Age, Dungeon Keeper, SimCity, Populous, Theme Park and so on. I would buy these in an instant, EA just doesn't want it. FIFA does make them more money.

And I don't want to excuse the things Nintendo does wrong, but let's take a realistic look on the game industry. Crunch with devs working 100 hours a week for months or years (Naughty Dog, CD Project Red). Abuse from superiors towards lower ranked workers (Ubisoft). Predatory tactics to pull money out of the pockets of easily influenced like lootboxes that should be regulated as gambling (EA, 2K). Whatever we think Nintendo deserves as backlash, these companies deserve as well and more of it. Because I like my games, but I don't want anyone to have to work for it until burned out or to take abuse from superiors. That shit has to end.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Nintendo is selling stuff at high price and people still want to buy it, so sue them.

No, don't actually sue them, that's the exact opposite point I'm trying to make.