By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's distractionary tactic to make them untouchable

Glad I held off from posting anything serious here. Big yikes.

Around the Network
theDX said:
Eagle367 said:

Don't be overdramatic. It's just people that like Monster hunter rise and don't give a damn about internet outrage over some old Mario games being limited releases

I'm not buying Nintendo games because Take Two overly monetizes the NBA 2K series, so I actually don't know what the deal is with the Mario games. Noted.

Damn I hope it's sarcasm

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Ouroboros24 said:
JWeinCom said:

Seems like the TL:DR version of this is that the distractionary tactic in question is to make games that people want to buy?

I'm really not sure why this is being presented as something nefarious or underhanded, or some flaw in their customers.

I'm trying to explain that there is a phenomenon with nintendo's formula. To say it's a distractionary tactic is to describe the underhanded, but also legal loophole nintendo has. On one hand, there are people wanting Nintendo to lighten up, fan games etc. But Nintendo denies anyways and it's business as usual and they sell 4 million MHR in 3 days. You can call that something else, but thats what I wanted to call it. Just to see if anyone else can see it. 

By the way, I'm not saying anyone should boycott Nintendo or anything. I am a fan, but as a fan of Nintendo, I can't help but think that this is kinda cool they have that power.

MHR is from Capcom.

Regarding mario 3D all-stars, Nintendo were clear from day one that it was a limited timed release. People have had 6 months to digest that information. Whether it's good or bad, Nintendo were very up front about it.

Ouroboros24 said:
JWeinCom said:

Seems like the TL:DR version of this is that the distractionary tactic in question is to make games that people want to buy?

I'm really not sure why this is being presented as something nefarious or underhanded, or some flaw in their customers.

I'm trying to explain that there is a phenomenon with nintendo's formula. To say it's a distractionary tactic is to describe the underhanded, but also legal loophole nintendo has. On one hand, there are people wanting Nintendo to lighten up, fan games etc. But Nintendo denies anyways and it's business as usual and they sell 4 million MHR in 3 days. You can call that something else, but thats what I wanted to call it. Just to see if anyone else can see it. 

By the way, I'm not saying anyone should boycott Nintendo or anything. I am a fan, but as a fan of Nintendo, I can't help but think that this is kinda cool they have that power.

Errr... well it's not a legal loophole, because to my knowledge they haven't done anything illegal. 

The issue with this thread is that it's suggesting that two things are related that aren't necessarily related. 

Nintendo is releasing games they think are good because... you know, they're a game company and that's how they make money. It's not so that people will let them have shitty youtube policies or whatever. If Nintendo let people have melee tournaments or whatever, do you think they'd change the amount or quality of games they release?

Likewise, whether I buy Nintendo games is completely independent of what I think of their policies on fan games (which I think they actually get a bum rap on, because Smash Flash and smogon showdown are somehow allowed to exist). Even if I cared deeply about Nintendo's policy on fan games, I don't think not buying Monster Hunter Rise (which as people point out is not the best example because Capcom is the dev and publisher) would have an impact on their policies.

Again, the bottom line is just that if a company makes a good product, people are generally going to want to buy it. 

zippy said:

Regarding mario 3D all-stars, Nintendo were clear from day one that it was a limited timed release. People have had 6 months to digest that information. Whether it's good or bad, Nintendo were very up front about it.

It's a shitty policy that is basically designed to create artificial scarcity. Honestly, I probably would have not purchased this otherwise, but they got me and my primate brain on this one. There's no reason they couldn't have let it live on the eShop, except that they thought it would probably sell more this way. People who buy the Switch later or who just may have better use for 50 bucks during a pandemic are screwed over a little. It's a policy that hurts consumers with no corresponding benefit to them.

It's more of a minor annoyance than anything and not something so vile that one should stop supporting Nintendo, but it's definitely a bad policy from a consumer point of view.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

I don't have an issue with a limited anniversary rerelease of old games. I don't see where the problem is, I got the games, I can play them whenever I want. If it was a new game that is completely limited, then I would have a problem with it.
Only problem I have is the absense of SMG2.

Nintendo games don't have predatory microtransactions and loot boxes and don't launch broken and full of bugs.
Only a few games are overpriced.

SMG2  they have to save something new for the 40th and 45th anniversaries....

Imo, the issue is that many of the complaints just aren't as substantial as the people mad about them think they are...

JWeinCom said:

If I think I'm going to get 60 dollars worth of enjoyment out of Monster Hunter Rise, then I'll buy Monster Hunter Rise. I'm not sure why what they're doing with Mario All Stars should factor into that decision at all. I think it's a dumb decision, but not a "ok now I won't buy anything from you ever again" decision.

If you don't think Sword and Shield is worth buying without all of the Pokemon, then you shouldn't buy it. And if Pokemon Arceus looks like it is worth it to you, then you should buy that. It's not being fickle it's spending my money in a way I think will lead to enjoyment.

It's like if I go to a restaurant, and the chicken is disgusting, but the steak is delicious. Doesn't mean I'm going to boycott the restaurant out of spite, I'm just going to stick to ordering the steak. Again, not fickle, just a matter of spending my money on things I like. Maybe the restaurant could do something so immoral that I would refuse to patronize them at all, but short of that, there's no reason for me to deny myself some delicious steak out of principle.

So, yeah. Companies are going to do good stuff and bad. Support the good, don't support the bad. That's all.

You, sir, have said it all

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

I feel like this argument is disingenuous. What exactly does Nintendo get away with that the other companies don't? Who exactly are these people who defend every little thing Nintendo does? This feels like an argument that was made up.