By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Mar 6-13 - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 4 Million

SKMBlake said:
Sogreblute said:

The Xbox One sold 50 million with no exclusives (or very few). Microsoft literally proved you can put games on PC and have good console sales. 

The Xbox One sold 50 million with:

- a very big existing userbase which could potentially switch from Xbox 360 to Xbox One

- a very low entry price almost 2/3 of the console's life

- 3 revisions, one being the most powerful console yet

- a subscription service where you pay a low subscription to have a console + 100+ games

They had to do all the tricks they could've possibly do to sell this amount.

1. That big userbase, just like the Wii and to a lesser extent PS3, had a bunch of Kinect casuals that were never going to buy th next consol as the One didn't have a casual fad associated with it like that entire generation did. So right off the bat they had less 360 users to draw from than 80 million.

2. The series could have that as well, give it a year or two. In a way they did this strategy at launch with the S.

3. They already have two, I think it's a certainty we will see more in three years. I predict the Z handheld model as well as either an EX upgrade to the X or they do a refresh and make all S/X more powerful with no price increase or new label.

4. That subscription wasn't nearly as appealing as it is this generation. They have added so many studios in the last couple years, and most of those still had/have games coming out on PlayStation when they were bought. Series will have a massive console exclusive advantage over Sony for thr many millions that want to play those games. And the vast, vast majority of people don't have PCs that can handle those games, before someone tries to suggest that will somehow hurt them.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
SKMBlake said:

The Xbox One sold 50 million with:

- a very big existing userbase which could potentially switch from Xbox 360 to Xbox One

- a very low entry price almost 2/3 of the console's life

- 3 revisions, one being the most powerful console yet

- a subscription service where you pay a low subscription to have a console + 100+ games

They had to do all the tricks they could've possibly do to sell this amount.

1. That big userbase, just like the Wii and to a lesser extent PS3, had a bunch of Kinect casuals that were never going to buy th next consol as the One didn't have a casual fad associated with it like that entire generation did. So right off the bat they had less 360 users to draw from than 80 million.

2. The series could have that as well, give it a year or two. In a way they did this strategy at launch with the S.

3. They already have two, I think it's a certainty we will see more in three years. I predict the Z handheld model as well as either an EX upgrade to the X or they do a refresh and make all S/X more powerful with no price increase or new label.

4. That subscription wasn't nearly as appealing as it is this generation. They have added so many studios in the last couple years, and most of those still had/have games coming out on PlayStation when they were bought. Series will have a massive console exclusive advantage over Sony for thr many millions that want to play those games. And the vast, vast majority of people don't have PCs that can handle those games, before someone tries to suggest that will somehow hurt them.

You totally missed my point (especially with point 4 where I was talking about Xbox All Access, not the game pass).

My point was: by 2013, there were a lot of reasons that would've make the Xbox One a success, and sold 50 million overall. In 2021, there are also a lor of reasons that can make the Series a success, but it's not like MS went from lazy console maker in 2013 to marketing genius 7 years later.

SKMBlake said:

Nope, latest rumours are about a Lovelace chip, probably a watered-down version of the Orin chip, not announced yet and with DLSS capabilities

See, these rumors are getting ridiculous. I am 100% confident this isn't going to happen for a few reasons. 

First, lovelace is a brand new architecture. The 30 series cards aren't even using it and, to my knowledge, it hasn't even been officially confirmed by Nvidia. It's so new that there isn't a single chipset that is out with it yet. This is what Nvidia is going to be using for their next desktop GPU's, not anything current. Tell me, when was the last time that Nintendo used a completely new architecture in their consoles? The N64? This simply isn't going to happen. It would require too much customization (which avoiding this is EXACTLY why Nintendo chose Tegra X1 in the first place) and it would be too expensive (Nintendo is all about maximizing profits). 

Meanwhile, Xavier (which again I think this is best case scenario) has been on the market for two years already, is the most similar to Mariko (therefore compatibility with older titles wouldn't be an issue) and even has two different chipsets with the model numbers NX (one 10W and the other 15W). 

You guys are expecting WAY to much out of a revision. It's going to be a modest boost at best. These lovelace and DLSS rumors would be way more fitting for a Switch 2 in two to three years. 

Doctor_MG said:

Tell me, when was the last time that Nintendo used a completely new architecture in their consoles? The N64? 

Well, the Switch actually.

SKMBlake said:
Doctor_MG said:

Tell me, when was the last time that Nintendo used a completely new architecture in their consoles? The N64? 

Maxwell was already 3 years old by the time Switch launched, so that isnt true...

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Dulfite said:

You totally missed my point (especially with point 4 where I was talking about Xbox All Access, not the game pass).

My point was: by 2013, there were a lot of reasons that would've make the Xbox One a success, and sold 50 million overall. In 2021, there are also a lor of reasons that can make the Series a success, but it's not like MS went from lazy console maker in 2013 to marketing genius 7 years later.

You two are pretty much on point. My post was just referring to why they don't need exclusives. You two providing examples of what Microsoft is doing now shows that they will still succeed. You can offer more for your platform that will make it enticing. Exclusives don't matter as much as they used to. They sold 50 Million Xbox One's mainly on brand, services, and accessibility. This is why I think the Xbox Series will sell more than Xbox One. It also really helps they have a $300 console out of the gate. Casuals usually wait for that magic price point to jump on the next console. 

I feel like just as a lot of 360 owners went onto PS4, a fair few Xbone owners will get a PS5. It could make up the difference with a better lineup of games, but as of yet I just don't see any solid indication that XS will sell better than Xbone. Game Pass didn't exactly change Xbone's fortunes, and the Xbox brand lost a lot of its mojo and coolness with the Xbone.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 March 2021

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I feel like just as a lot of 360 owners went onto PS4, a fair few Xbone owners will get a PS5. It could make up the difference with a better lineup of games, but as of yet I just don't see any solid indication that XS will sell better than Xbone. Game Pass didn't exactly change Xbone's fortunes, and the Xbox brand lost a lot of its mojo and coolness with the Xbone.

Every gen is a fresh start. Look at the PS2 to PS3 to PS4 or GameCube to Wii to Wii U to Switch. 

Xbox Series certainly doesn't seem like a fresh start from the Xbone though, merely a continuation of most of what their last console was doing prior replacement.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 March 2021

Doctor_MG said:
SKMBlake said:

Maxwell was already 3 years old by the time Switch launched, so that isnt true...

You said architecture, the Switch is the first console with ARM architecture, an architecture never used by Nintendo nor MS nor Sony.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Every gen is a fresh start. Look at the PS2 to PS3 to PS4 or GameCube to Wii to Wii U to Switch. 

Usually yes, but I don't feel the fresh start this time. For now both PS5 and Series X are acting like a pro version of the PS4 Pro and One X, you can play all of your games in better quality/framerate on the new devices.

Of course there will be new games exclusive to the new generation (as always). But on both side they made everything they could to implement a continuity (like Apple with its devices every year).

Same same, different, but still the same.