By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Mar 6-13 - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 4 Million

Share the article here.

PS5 vs PS4 Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 18 

This weekly mini-series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5 with its predecessor, the PlayStation 4. 

The first week for the PlayStation 5 is the week ending November 14, 2020, while for the PlayStation 4 it is the week ending November 16, 2013.

The two consoles had a staggered launch with the PlayStation 5 launching November 12, 2020 in North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore, and the rest of the world on November 19, 2020. The PlayStation 4 launched in North America on November 15, 2013, in Europe on November 29, 2013, and in Japan on February 22, 2014.

PS5 Vs. PS4 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest week: 60,883 - PS5

Gap change over last month: 54,408 - PS4

Total Lead: 68,535 - PS4

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 6,296,634

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 6,365,169

During week 18, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 by 60,883 units. In the last month, the PlayStation 4 has grown its lead by 54,408 units. The PlayStation 5 is currently behind by 68,535 units. 

The PlayStation 5 has sold 6.30 million units in 18 weeks, while the PlayStation 4 sold 6.37 million units. Week 18 for the PlayStation 5 is the week ending March 13, 2021 and it is the week ending March 14, 2014 for the PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 4 sold 245,428 units in its 19th week to bring its lifetime sales to 6.61 million units. The PlayStation 5 would need to sell 313,963 units in its 19th week to catch up to the PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 4 crossed seven million sold units in week 21, eight million sold in week 28, and nine million units sold in week 33.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Eagle367 said:

I meant adding up official numbers with Vgchartz numbers

I'm not sure how to do what you are asking.  Official numbers are "shipped", while VGChartz numbers are "sold through".  They can't easily be combined together.

They provide a baseline though. It's pretty easy to combine them and get the lowest estimate because sold through can never be higher than shipped

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Dulfite said:
kazuyamishima said:

Even if PS5 will track ahead of PS4 in about 2-3 weeks, Sony only has a chance to sell well in the next 2 years, after that they’re doomed. PS3 situation all over again!!

First of all I never said PS5 was doomed, I just believe their sales will drop significantly in years 4-6 because of all the studios that MS bought that won't have games coming out on PS5. PS5 will still do incredibly well, but to act like at least 20-40 million hardware buyers aren't influenced by where those games are released on doesn't make sense. 

I mean, we're looking at these platform holders right now, a lot can happen in that time span or even this year. Sony are planning to increase investments in the entertainment space, with their next midrange plan getting bigger allotments to spend compared to their current midrange plan. That's at least 10+ Billion, it might even be as high as 20+ Billion, depending on what Sony deems to be excess operating cash.

This is also not factoring Sony's major advantage when it comes to second/third party exclusives. And aside from TES/Fallout, which have a massive following on PC, its not reasonable to assume the majority of franchises from Zenimax will influence anywhere near 20 - 40 Million hardware buyers. 

Are we sure that Microsoft putting Xbox exclusives day and date on PC has minimal impact on console sales? I still think that remains to be seen.

PS4 and Xbone are really trailing off fast in spite of their successor's supply constraints.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

PS4 and Xbone are really trailing off fast in spite of their successor's supply constraints.

That rise in shipments and weekly sales for the PS5 and XSeries have to come from somewhere.

Sogreblute said:

The Xbox One sold 50 million with no exclusives (or very few). Microsoft literally proved you can put games on PC and have good console sales. 

The Xbox One sold 50 million with:

- a very big existing userbase which could potentially switch from Xbox 360 to Xbox One

- a very low entry price almost 2/3 of the console's life

- 3 revisions, one being the most powerful console yet

- a subscription service where you pay a low subscription to have a console + 100+ games

They had to do all the tricks they could've possibly do to sell this amount.

Last edited by SKMBlake - on 29 March 2021

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

SKMBlake said:
Sogreblute said:

The Xbox One sold 50 million with no exclusives (or very few). Microsoft literally proved you can put games on PC and have good console sales. 

- a very big existing userbase which could potentially switch from Xbox 360 to Xbox One

- a subscription service where you pay a low subscription to have a console + 100+ games

1. That big userbase, just like the Wii and to a lesser extent PS3, had a bunch of Kinect casuals that were never going to buy th next consol as the One didn't have a casual fad associated with it like that entire generation did. So right off the bat they had less 360 users to draw from than 80 million.

2. The series could have that as well, give it a year or two. In a way they did this strategy at launch with the S.

3. They already have two, I think it's a certainty we will see more in three years. I predict the Z handheld model as well as either an EX upgrade to the X or they do a refresh and make all S/X more powerful with no price increase or new label.

4. That subscription wasn't nearly as appealing as it is this generation. They have added so many studios in the last couple years, and most of those still had/have games coming out on PlayStation when they were bought. Series will have a massive console exclusive advantage over Sony for thr many millions that want to play those games. And the vast, vast majority of people don't have PCs that can handle those games, before someone tries to suggest that will somehow hurt them.

Dulfite said:
SKMBlake said:

1. That big userbase, just like the Wii and to a lesser extent PS3, had a bunch of Kinect casuals that were never going to buy th next consol as the One didn't have a casual fad associated with it like that entire generation did. So right off the bat they had less 360 users to draw from than 80 million.

2. The series could have that as well, give it a year or two. In a way they did this strategy at launch with the S.

3. They already have two, I think it's a certainty we will see more in three years. I predict the Z handheld model as well as either an EX upgrade to the X or they do a refresh and make all S/X more powerful with no price increase or new label.

4. That subscription wasn't nearly as appealing as it is this generation. They have added so many studios in the last couple years, and most of those still had/have games coming out on PlayStation when they were bought. Series will have a massive console exclusive advantage over Sony for thr many millions that want to play those games. And the vast, vast majority of people don't have PCs that can handle those games, before someone tries to suggest that will somehow hurt them.

You totally missed my point (especially with point 4 where I was talking about Xbox All Access, not the game pass).

My point was: by 2013, there were a lot of reasons that would've make the Xbox One a success, and sold 50 million overall. In 2021, there are also a lor of reasons that can make the Series a success, but it's not like MS went from lazy console maker in 2013 to marketing genius 7 years later.

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

when is the new week numbers coming in?