By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Mar 6-13 - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 4 Million

Share the article here.

Nintendo Switch Outsells PSP

The Nintendo Switch has outsold the lifetime sales of Sony's handheld platform, the PSP, according to VGChartz estimates. 

The Switch sold 425,124 units for the week ending March 13, 2021 to bring its lifetime sales to 81.22 million units. This compares to the PSP with sales of 81.09 million units. The figure for the Switch includes the combined sales of the original Switch model and the Switch Lite.

Nintendo's hybrid console has now become the 10th best-selling video game platform of all time. Next up is the Game Boy Advance, which sold 81.51 million units worldwide, followed by the Xbox 360 at 85.80 million units and the PlayStation 3 at 87.4 million units. 

The Switch is 0.29 million units away from outselling the Game Boy Advance, 4.58 million units away from the Xbox 360, and 6.18 million units from the PlayStation 3. 

Breaking down the sales of the Switch, it has sold 27.68 million units in the US, 21.25 million units in Europe, and 18.79 million units in Japan.

The Switch launched worldwide on March 3, 2017, while the PSP launched in Japan on December 12, 2004, in North America on March 24, 2005, and in Europe on September 1, 2005. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

I don't see the Xbox Series selling over 60mil tbh. PS5 will definitely sell over 100mil but I think it'll stay behind the PS4.
So 100-115mil.
Switch has a very good chance of reaching #1.

Right now PS5 hasn't felt the impact of all the studios MS had bought. In about 2 years I think it will start hurting PS5 sales significantly as more exclusives come out on Xbox/PC.



Torpoleon said:

That is a pretty cool coincidence. I do wonder where Switch, PS5 & XSX will stand when everything is said and done!

My prediction is Switch 1-3 depending on how fast sales drop after 2021.  

PS5 will be 4-7 depending on how competitive Xbox is with Bethesda exclusive games

XSX will be at 9-15 due to the same reason as above. 

Either way, this seems much healthier than last generation. XSX will sell better than Xbox One, PS5 will break 100M, and Switch has a chance of being the best selling console of all time. 



Doctor_MG said:

XSX will sell better than Xbox One

Not sure about that one, depends on what Nintendo is planning to release in November as a revision.

If they can manage to pull a more powerful console which can have next-gen games at the same price as the Series S, there will be more competition than ever.



"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Torpoleon said:

That is a pretty cool coincidence. I do wonder where Switch, PS5 & XSX will stand when everything is said and done!

I think Switch will be at #1, PS5 will be at #10, and X|S...well, nowhere near the top 10.



Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Nintendo Switch Outsells PSP

The Nintendo Switch has outsold the lifetime sales of Sony's handheld platform, the PSP, according to VGChartz estimates. 

The Switch sold 425,124 units for the week ending March 13, 2021 to bring its lifetime sales to 81.22 million units. This compares to the PSP with sales of 81.09 million units. The figure for the Switch includes the combined sales of the original Switch model and the Switch Lite.

Nintendo's hybrid console has now become the 10th best-selling video game platform of all time. Next up is the Game Boy Advance, which sold 81.51 million units worldwide, followed by the Xbox 360 at 85.80 million units and the PlayStation 3 at 87.4 million units. 

The Switch is 0.29 million units away from outselling the Game Boy Advance, 4.58 million units away from the Xbox 360, and 6.18 million units from the PlayStation 3. 

Breaking down the sales of the Switch, it has sold 27.68 million units in the US, 21.25 million units in Europe, and 18.79 million units in Japan.

The Switch launched worldwide on March 3, 2017, while the PSP launched in Japan on December 12, 2004, in North America on March 24, 2005, and in Europe on September 1, 2005. 

The Switch's sales are pretty nicely spread out across all regions:

NA - 37%
Europe - 27%
Japan - 23%
ROW - 13%



SKMBlake said:
Doctor_MG said:

XSX will sell better than Xbox One

Not sure about that one, depends on what Nintendo is planning to release in November as a revision.

If they can manage to pull a more powerful console which can have next-gen games at the same price as the Series S, there will be more competition than ever.

I doubt there will be a Switch revision that is as powerful as the Series S. A Switch 2 could potentially, but not a revision of the original model. Even if they use the Xavier chipset, we are looking at 150% increase in raw power at best. Which I honestly doubt this is going to happen based on Nintendo's history (GBC, DSi, new 3DS were all just moderate CPU increases with extra RAM). 

Not to mention that it doesn't seem Nintendo's success has been significantly impacted Sony or MS. Both the Xbox One and PS4 had some of their most successful years after the Switch launched. In addition, the PS5 and XSX are selling very well, yet the Switch is looking to have a possible record breaking year. 

All in all, no matter what moves Nintendo makes I don't think it will significantly effect MS. MS is more likely to shoot themselves in the foot than Nintendo is. 



Dulfite said:
Kakadu18 said:

I don't see the Xbox Series selling over 60mil tbh. PS5 will definitely sell over 100mil but I think it'll stay behind the PS4.
So 100-115mil.
Switch has a very good chance of reaching #1.

Right now PS5 hasn't felt the impact of all the studios MS had bought. In about 2 years I think it will start hurting PS5 sales significantly as more exclusives come out on Xbox/PC.

What do you expect the gap will be in 2 years? If things continue for the next 2 years as they are the gap will be so huge that people will be buyung the ps5 as a snowball effect. Not to mentione the backlog of great games. In 2 years it will be to late. Its why I don't think the series will beat the x1. 



It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

@SKMBlake So you see PS5 surpassing PS4 & Game Boy? I hope it does (it's healthy for the industry when all the console manufacturers are doing better than before), but I wouldn't be surprised if it barely misses the mark, with the missed amount going to XSX. Should at least surpass Wii & PS1 though.

@trunkswd I agree with much of that but while I hope for the best for XSX, I don't see it selling as much as the 360. I do at least see it outselling Xbox One though.

@Doctor_MG I agree with this. Seems to be the most likely outcome at this point.

Either way, I think it is a great thing for all 3 of them to be doing so well at this point and I do hope it keeps up for a while. I don't think we've ever had all major console manufacturers doing well since the SNES/Genesis days. Usually one or two make a big mistake. I hop Switch becomes the best selling console of all time.



eva01beserk said:
Dulfite said:

Right now PS5 hasn't felt the impact of all the studios MS had bought. In about 2 years I think it will start hurting PS5 sales significantly as more exclusives come out on Xbox/PC.

What do you expect the gap will be in 2 years? If things continue for the next 2 years as they are the gap will be so huge that people will be buyung the ps5 as a snowball effect. Not to mentione the backlog of great games. In 2 years it will be to late. Its why I don't think the series will beat the x1. 

The Series S/X is going to have a lot more exclusives than the Xbox One, which is why I think it will do better than One and why I think PS5 will do worse than 4 (though 5 will still beat Series because of the wide lead they get early on). I fully expect MS to scoop up at least one other major publisher before this generation is over. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they obtained Rockstar and secured GTA6 (and all prior GTA games as backlog for Gamepass) as an exclusive, which would be absolutely massive.