By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Mar 6-13 - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 4 Million

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Nintendo Switch Outsells PSP

The Nintendo Switch has outsold the lifetime sales of Sony's handheld platform, the PSP, according to VGChartz estimates. 

The Switch sold 425,124 units for the week ending March 13, 2021 to bring its lifetime sales to 81.22 million units. This compares to the PSP with sales of 81.09 million units. The figure for the Switch includes the combined sales of the original Switch model and the Switch Lite.

Nintendo's hybrid console has now become the 10th best-selling video game platform of all time. Next up is the Game Boy Advance, which sold 81.51 million units worldwide, followed by the Xbox 360 at 85.80 million units and the PlayStation 3 at 87.4 million units. 

The Switch is 0.29 million units away from outselling the Game Boy Advance, 4.58 million units away from the Xbox 360, and 6.18 million units from the PlayStation 3. 

Breaking down the sales of the Switch, it has sold 27.68 million units in the US, 21.25 million units in Europe, and 18.79 million units in Japan.

The Switch launched worldwide on March 3, 2017, while the PSP launched in Japan on December 12, 2004, in North America on March 24, 2005, and in Europe on September 1, 2005. 

The Switch's sales are pretty nicely spread out across all regions:

NA - 37%
Europe - 27%
Japan - 23%
ROW - 13%

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Doctor_MG said:

XSX will sell better than Xbox One

Not sure about that one, depends on what Nintendo is planning to release in November as a revision.

If they can manage to pull a more powerful console which can have next-gen games at the same price as the Series S, there will be more competition than ever.

I doubt there will be a Switch revision that is as powerful as the Series S. A Switch 2 could potentially, but not a revision of the original model. Even if they use the Xavier chipset, we are looking at 150% increase in raw power at best. Which I honestly doubt this is going to happen based on Nintendo's history (GBC, DSi, new 3DS were all just moderate CPU increases with extra RAM). 

Not to mention that it doesn't seem Nintendo's success has been significantly impacted Sony or MS. Both the Xbox One and PS4 had some of their most successful years after the Switch launched. In addition, the PS5 and XSX are selling very well, yet the Switch is looking to have a possible record breaking year. 

All in all, no matter what moves Nintendo makes I don't think it will significantly effect MS. MS is more likely to shoot themselves in the foot than Nintendo is. 

Dulfite said:
Kakadu18 said:

I don't see the Xbox Series selling over 60mil tbh. PS5 will definitely sell over 100mil but I think it'll stay behind the PS4.
So 100-115mil.
Switch has a very good chance of reaching #1.

Right now PS5 hasn't felt the impact of all the studios MS had bought. In about 2 years I think it will start hurting PS5 sales significantly as more exclusives come out on Xbox/PC.

What do you expect the gap will be in 2 years? If things continue for the next 2 years as they are the gap will be so huge that people will be buyung the ps5 as a snowball effect. Not to mentione the backlog of great games. In 2 years it will be to late. Its why I don't think the series will beat the x1. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

@SKMBlake So you see PS5 surpassing PS4 & Game Boy? I hope it does (it's healthy for the industry when all the console manufacturers are doing better than before), but I wouldn't be surprised if it barely misses the mark, with the missed amount going to XSX. Should at least surpass Wii & PS1 though.

@trunkswd I agree with much of that but while I hope for the best for XSX, I don't see it selling as much as the 360. I do at least see it outselling Xbox One though.

@Doctor_MG I agree with this. Seems to be the most likely outcome at this point.

Either way, I think it is a great thing for all 3 of them to be doing so well at this point and I do hope it keeps up for a while. I don't think we've ever had all major console manufacturers doing well since the SNES/Genesis days. Usually one or two make a big mistake. I hop Switch becomes the best selling console of all time.

eva01beserk said:
Dulfite said:

Right now PS5 hasn't felt the impact of all the studios MS had bought. In about 2 years I think it will start hurting PS5 sales significantly as more exclusives come out on Xbox/PC.

What do you expect the gap will be in 2 years? If things continue for the next 2 years as they are the gap will be so huge that people will be buyung the ps5 as a snowball effect. Not to mentione the backlog of great games. In 2 years it will be to late. Its why I don't think the series will beat the x1. 

The Series S/X is going to have a lot more exclusives than the Xbox One, which is why I think it will do better than One and why I think PS5 will do worse than 4 (though 5 will still beat Series because of the wide lead they get early on). I fully expect MS to scoop up at least one other major publisher before this generation is over. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they obtained Rockstar and secured GTA6 (and all prior GTA games as backlog for Gamepass) as an exclusive, which would be absolutely massive.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
Dulfite said:

Even if PS5 will track ahead of PS4 in about 2-3 weeks, Sony only has a chance to sell well in the next 2 years, after that they’re doomed. PS3 situation all over again!!

Dulfite said:
eva01beserk said:

The Series S/X is going to have a lot more exclusives than the Xbox One, which is why I think it will do better than One and why I think PS5 will do worse than 4 (though 5 will still beat Series because of the wide lead they get early on). I fully expect MS to scoop up at least one other major publisher before this generation is over. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they obtained Rockstar and secured GTA6 (and all prior GTA games as backlog for Gamepass) as an exclusive, which would be absolutely massive.

Rockstar? That just ridiculous. Rockstar alone is worth 5b and its owned by take two interactive that is worth 20b. 

That the series will have more eclusives than the x1 is not up for debate. Its impossible to have less than the x1 as that was the worst console in history when it came to exclusive content.

That MS can give sony a 2 year headstart and still think they can be competitive is also absurd. That is way to much time for a come back. I dont even think that sony would pull that if the roles where reversed.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

kazuyamishima said:
eva01beserk said:

Even if PS5 will track ahead of PS4 in about 2-3 weeks, Sony only has a chance to sell well in the next 2 years, after that they’re doomed. PS3 situation all over again!!

I'll be on the edge of my seat the entire time. Sony 20m ahead then sudenly xbox starts selling 5m a month because elders scrolls 6 gets anounced to come 3 years from then. Makes sense. 

eva01beserk said:
kazuyamishima said:

I'll be on the edge of my seat the entire time. Sony 20m ahead then sudenly xbox starts selling 5m a month because elders scrolls 6 gets anounced to come 3 years from then. Makes sense. 

I reckon it will be more than 20 millions, but who knows. Exclusives on MS side are wide available in other platforms now day one, some people don’t need to buy a Xbox to play their games now. 

But the experts here are predicting Sony’s doomed again, even if the PlayStation division is bigger than ever. 

kazuyamishima said:
eva01beserk said:

I reckon it will be more than 20 millions, but who knows. Exclusives on MS side are wide available in other platforms now day one, some people don’t need to buy a Xbox to play their games now. 

But the experts here are predicting Sony’s doomed again, even if the PlayStation division is bigger than ever. 

You might be right it could definetly be more than 20m. Stock should ramp up pretty soon.